Converting an ODC RM to RML N gauge

acg5324

1 hour ago, acg5324 said:

I’m going to chop a pair of ODC RMs to make an RML. Has anyone already done this? Any suggestions or hints?

I was going to use a mini drill cutting disc to do the surgery. 

I've not attempted it but I'll be interested to see how you get on. The ODC RMs are cast metal unlike the more recent plastic bodied ODC buses which would put me off. AFAiC the ODC RM models are very poor compared to the more modern bus models: that hugely thick platform, the lack of flush glazing, the too narrow cab, the missing windscreen glazing bar, etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, grahame said:

I've not attempted it but I'll be interested to see how you get on. The ODC RMs are cast metal unlike the more recent plastic bodied ODC buses which would put me off. AFAiC the ODC RM models are very poor compared to the more modern bus models: that hugely thick platform, the lack of flush glazing, the too narrow cab, the missing windscreen glazing bar, etc.

Yes they are Diecast, the other option would be to use the white metal RM kit they you’ve posted photos of.

Any progress to report on this project? It's certainly of interest.

I was looking to improve my ODC N gauge Routemaster buses: the cab is too narrow and lacking the lower front ventilation light glazing bar, the rear platform (and centre pole) is far too thick and the lack of flush glazing and thick diecast sides makes it look like the windows have huge wide sills. Snag is that fixing those issues doesn't appear to be a straightforward or easy job. And the same probably goes for grafting two bodies together to produce a RML.

So I was keen to see how you tackle it and get on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I finally took the knife or rather the cutting disc to two RMs this afternoon.

The rivets were drilled out to remove the chassis, lower seats and glazing. The next set of rivets were drilled out ( yes there’s four ) to remove the upper seating and glazing. Each bus was marked up and had masking tape wrapped along the cut lines before the mini drill cutting disc was used. Both top and bottom decks cut in one go. 

Both ends need a file taking to them to square things up better but otherwise it’s looking like RMLs is go!

A815304F-73F2-48BA-84D2-D0C4B0B2E9FC.jpeg

217783B0-D4CA-4ED6-821A-7FB08C234610.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The four main body parts have had an overnight bath in Nitromors. I’ll get them cleaned up today and after making sure everything fits glue the front and back halves to each other......pictures to follow.

• RMweb Premium

The Genetic experiments with RMs continue.....

the RML is now in its main component parts. I’ll leave the glue to set for 24 hours before filling any gaps etc.

E2F1F743-4744-4EB6-98EB-E824F85B7E9C.jpeg

Like Dr Frankenstein there always the bits left over..........

BA098AA0-CB68-4AAC-A867-5919D2689F04.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The body components are now glued together and a first fitting. A bit of filler required and then to the paint shop.......probably in April when the weather is better!

89E1020E-547D-4387-B65F-17D3FFA0085C.jpeg

5982018F-ED6C-4C3A-94FF-BBF32C27E547.jpeg

0E922CA9-528B-4BEF-BC37-4D6FE7856FF3.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

The RML has had a squirt of red paint......

Wheels have been fitted to the chassis and the front wheels have had a bit of turn built into them. The glazing will be the next thing to be cut to fit. I now need to find the Mabex LT logos and my spare adverts.

2BC73300-D424-41BC-BD5B-0B9186F2CF2C.jpeg

141D4DE6-6509-4D52-852A-B4BDB91BCF54.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Looking very good - a nice rewarding project.

It's a shame ODC haven't revisited their Routemaster, which is very clunky and has a number of errors. If they produced a new RML in their modern plastic body style, enthusiasts could more easily produce the RM by cutting a chunk out (cut and shut) rather than the need to use two RMs to produce one RML. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

There isn’t even any glazing for the rear window on the lower deck. 

Yep, and the rear platform deck is far too thick, as it the centre pole. The side handrails are just moulded blobs, the cab is too narrow and the front windscreen is missing the lower vent/light glazing bar. There are no ear turn indicators and the glazing is not flush, making the windows have deep sills that could accommodate window boxes.

If Oxford wanted to exploit the RM family some more then it probably would not retool the RM, because a new tool for an RML would be have better financial prospect altogether, and cover a whole lot of liveries not suitable for the RM. If it used the clear plastic body format then flush glazing, indicator ears and a better platform arrangement could all be incorporated. Probably needs someone to make a detailed case for it and put the case to Oxford.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

If Oxford wanted to exploit the RM family some more then it probably would not retool the RM, because a new tool for an RML would be have better financial prospect altogether, and cover a whole lot of liveries not suitable for the RM. If it used the clear plastic body format then flush glazing, indicator ears and a better platform arrangement could all be incorporated. Probably needs someone to make a detailed case for it and put the case to Oxford.

Whilst I’d be all for a better RM/RML Mike, I’d rather have some common 1960s 1970s and 80s cars....and some lorry cabs of a similar vintage. 

Decals and adverts have been added to the RML and everything given a coat of satin varnish. I’ll post some pictures once it’s properly dry and reassembled.

• Agree 1

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Unlike normal buses when one comes along so does another it’s been a 4 year gap before the second RML made an appearance. Still some work to do on the joints before it gets a top coat.

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_4004.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The RML gained its advertising and route blinds today, I’m quite pleased with this one. 

IMG_4034.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4035.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

• Like 3