LT45029 - Inspection Saloon DM45029 as was

Photos of the ex Inspection Saloon DM45029 in its refurbished guise as London Transport Saloon LT45029 have started to appear on Flickr - 

LT45029 Kensington (Olympia)

photo by Brian Creasey

and after nearly ten years of work at Eastleigh, it looks fantastic.

Having made three O Gauge models of DM45029 it cries out for doing another one in this form. The bogies have been upgraded and there are other signs of changes to the undercarriage but the main visible changes are the removal of the roof vents and those over the doors, security bars on the doors, a 'tell tale' in the bottom left hand side and another above the window in the Guards compartment and an upgraded ETH system. It is the ETH fittings that I am most interested in and if anyone has close up photos or better still drawings, I would be grateful to see them.

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
  • Like 2

These might help http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2019/Galleries 201905/20190514ArlingtonEastleighWorks/index.html and other galleries from around the same time.

Its worth mentioning that the saloon was completely re-skinned as part of the work but presumably without any significant dimensional changes. Here's how it looked back in 2013 while this was taking place.

DM45029 Eastleigh 05-13 Copyright Simon Bendall.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ressaldar said:

Hi Keefer,

many thanks for the heads up on the control jumper socket, presumably, these are 'standard' fittings on EMU stock and if so, would enable the saloon to run with the 4TC set that LT have in their stock.

regards

Mike

Do LT have any locos with SR control jumpers fitted or do they hire in a 73 when needed? Otherwise the TC can only be hauled like any other coaches.

1 minute ago, keefer said:

Do LT have any locos with SR control jumpers fitted or do they hire in a 73 when needed? Otherwise the TC can only be hauled like any other coaches.

Hi Keefer,

I will have to pass on that one.

But what I have noticed on your picture above is that the original ETH connectors are still in place, which may indicate that the original equipment was retained after all.

regards

Mike

Has it been fitted with central door locking? The circular 'gauge glass' looks like the CDL release fitted to more modern stock. I know the 4TC has CDL, you can see the plates on the doors at the bottom. Could the visible mark above the centre window be a small doors unlocked light?

Jo

34 minutes ago, keefer said:

This older pic on departmentals.com shows the ETH gear, would agree that it's the same now (maybe cleaned up/renewed parts)

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/45029a

Edit: from the works photo a couple of posts ago, it's vacuum brakes have been replaced with air

Hi Keefer,

thanks for the confirmation and the heads up on the braking system alteration.

A couple that I did earlier

-IMG_4529.JPG.5ad005d6a04ff03cdccd0beff34d7b45.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG.196869d2e2b93e8f12606097fbe223de.JPG

regards

Mike

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Has it been fitted with central door locking? The circular 'gauge glass' looks like the CDL release fitted to more modern stock. I know the 4TC has CDL, you can see the plates on the doors at the bottom. Could the visible mark above the centre window be a small doors unlocked light?

Jo

Hi Jo,

I think that you could be right there on both counts, many thanks.

regards

Mike