Narrow Gauge Modelling

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the possibility of building a smallish 009 layout.

I have recently sold my 0.16.5 layout (Alstone Quay) and my GN15 layouts (The Shed) and (Ecclestone Manor)

I have also sold all my 0.16.5 stock but still have a large quantity of GN15 which I was going to build another GN15 layout.

Having never modelled in 009 a couple of questions.

How reliable are the new 009 locomotives from Heljan & Bachmann ?

I have read somewhere they don’t like small radius points & track 

As I would want reliable running of stock, what would be the preferred minimum radius so as to use the new Heljan & Bachmann locomotives?

At this stage just a thought process, but approaching  the age 70 smaller more manageable and lighter layouts are the way forward if I wish   to continue exhibiting.

Eltel  

Bachmann  Baldwin  SUPERB  Performance,  Heljan  MW  very  iffy with  the  MK1  version,  BUT  latest  versions appear  to  be  fine  from my experience  ( some  small adjustments  such  as  reducing  pony truck centreing  springs and adjusting  the  cow  catchers to allow free coupling  movement  help  these  are  my personal experiences)  There is  a lot  on  here  and NGRM re  the  MW.

Baldwin  Fine  on 9" radius  MW prefers  larger  say 12"  radius.

PS   I approached  70 a few  years  back!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan MW needs 12” radius but the Bachmann Baldwin can manage 9” radius. The MW’s had a few issues and I’ve listed the fixes Roundhouse and I found work in this post. 

Have a look at Minitrains range too :) 

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann Baldwins are fine with 9inch radius. Some have had problems with the blanking plate in the DCC socket going funny.

The tighter the radius the smaller the stock you can use. Couplings become an issue.

I run the L&B coaches on the Peco 9inch setrack curves but they don't look great unless curves disguised a bit.

• Like 1

Terry,

I am sure you will be at the Wigan Finescale Show  over the weekend of the 5th/6th  October.

Do come and see us in the Narrow Gauge section  and play trains for a couple of hours, test out locos and stock.

We will have 5  009 layouts there in various sizes and various different track radii.

Locos will be from  0-4-0T  to  tender locos and NGG16 Garratts.

Try us out, ask as many questions as you like  and we will have 009 stock available at very competitive prices, maybe join the 009 society ?

Stan Williams.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stan

Yes I’ll be there at Wigan with my layout Oil Drum Lane  for the weekend so hopefully I’ll get time for a natter about 009 over the weekend.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Terry