2FS First attempt

RobA2345

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I've come from N Gauge but I'm a bit of a track guy and while the code 55 stuff looks okay I always found the embedded rail a nightmare to work with so I decided to give 2FS a go and this is my first attempt. Its a timelapse album to show progress over time. I still have tons to do but its getting there. Track is a mix of soldered hand built and the associations 'easitrac', the crossing was very hard to get right but I'm getting used to knocking out points now. All 5 wagons are etched chassis with a mix of some etched van tops and some plastic (I think the plastic ones look great).

Anyway I thought I'd share for feedback. I post some updates on Facebook but I think the build gets lost over time but let me know your thoughts anyway.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGAQMHA

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

NIcely done.  Im just starting on the 2FS road too, although in my case its a downgrade from 7mm!  The trackwork looks far better than N and your doing really well. Im currently attempting a point with the Association etched chairs!

Well done that chap, I've marked your thread to follow.  There is plenty of support and help on here if you need it - do keep posting updates.

Rich

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Rob,

NIcely done.  Im just starting on the 2FS road too, although in my case its a downgrade from 7mm!  The trackwork looks far better than N and your doing really well. Im currently attempting a point with the Association etched chairs!

Well done that chap, I've marked your thread to follow.  There is plenty of support and help on here if you need it - do keep posting updates.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I started in 4mm, I can't imagine going down 2 scales, it must seem micro! I've not decided whether to put some cosmetic chairs on the pointwork, it's one of the reasons I haven't ballasted yet. The other being I'm doing some off layout experiments with Chris Nevard's technique of using modelling clay as ash ballast. I want a very fine looking ballast for the sidings and approach to the shed.

8 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

well done track looks excellent ( may I suggest you add a few photos here )

is that a slip in which case your braver than I

Nick

Nah sadly it just crosses the mainline. I could probably do a slip, but I've grown attached to my hair. I'll add some pics to the post now. Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Cracking little layout right there - are these your first efforts building track? They look really lovely!

First go at soldered pointwork yes. I'd dabbled with Easitrac points but couldn't get them to work without the joggle in the stock rails. I used the brass cast crossing on all but one where I built the crossing myself as I just wanted to see if I could.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, RobA2345 said:

Thanks Rich. I started in 4mm, I can't imagine going down 2 scales, it must seem micro! I've not decided whether to put some cosmetic chairs on the pointwork, it's one of the reasons I haven't ballasted yet. The other being I'm doing some off layout experiments with Chris Nevard's technique of using modelling clay as ash ballast. I want a very fine looking ballast for the sidings and approach to the shed.

Hi Rob,

Interesting shall we say!  But fascinating in many respects.  Haven't dabbled with N gauge for 20 odd years! Laurie Adams did an article in the journal back in 2018 I gather if you need some background information on the etched chairs.  Whereabouts are you based?

I forgot to ask last night, what's the overall size of the layout?

Rich

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Rob,

Interesting shall we say!  But fascinating in many respects.  Haven't dabbled with N gauge for 20 odd years! Laurie Adams did an article in the journal back in 2018 I gather if you need some background information on the etched chairs.  Whereabouts are you based?

I forgot to ask last night, what's the overall size of the layout?

Rich

Layout is 48" by 11". I've had 3 failed attempts at my ultimate modelling ambition to model Paignton Station with the crossing in pretty high detail but never got any of the buildings built so it just looked naff.

293393567_PAIGNTONHighStreet1989_jpg.jpg.69c3fbab33d2907769f903fa8a954ca8.jpg

I'm based in Bury, North Manchester

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is impressive, and appears to have come together in just a few months.

I started in 2mmFS around 1989. The Basingstoke club were creating nice looking N gauge layouts, but even with hand built track, the running was appalling. We decided to give finescale a go, and built Alresford. Initially, we had a Graham Farish 33 with turned down wheels and a BH Enterprises 2H with Graham Farish motor bogie and turned down wheels. We could do slow, hands-free shunting in the yard for hours on end. Since then, I have been involved with 5 subsequent 2mmFS layouts.

Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RobA2345 said:

Layout is 48" by 11". I've had 3 failed attempts at my ultimate modelling ambition to model Paignton Station with the crossing in pretty high detail but never got any of the buildings built so it just looked naff.

I'm based in Bury, North Manchester

Hi Rob,

Really nicely done within 4'.  The reason for asking your location is to say search out your local area group (if you haven't done so already) - they can be a great help and really supportive ... also a meeting tends to give one some incentive if its needed to push on with things!  I think the Pennine Area Group in New Mills would be your closest.

Know Bury quite well, one side of the family comes from there and still have family need Radcliffe!

Rich

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

That is impressive, and appears to have come together in just a few months.

I started in 2mmFS around 1989. The Basingstoke club were creating nice looking N gauge layouts, but even with hand built track, the running was appalling. We decided to give finescale a go, and built Alresford. Initially, we had a Graham Farish 33 with turned down wheels and a BH Enterprises 2H with Graham Farish motor bogie and turned down wheels. We could do slow, hands-free shunting in the yard for hours on end. Since then, I have been involved with 5 subsequent 2mmFS layouts.

Keep up the good work.

I'll confess I've not got the running nailed down yet, some of my track work is a little bumpy and the Farish loco's I've converted seem to stall a lot but none of these issues are unfixable. Honestly it's the look of the trackwork that motivates the 2FS, I'm happy with that side and picked up a lot of direct and indirect skills as a result.

Edited by RobA2345
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Rob,

Really nicely done within 4'.  The reason for asking your location is to say search out your local area group (if you haven't done so already) - they can be a great help and really supportive ... also a meeting tends to give one some incentive if its needed to push on with things!  I think the Pennine Area Group in New Mills would be your closest.

Know Bury quite well, one side of the family comes from there and still have family need Radcliffe!

Rich

I think I initially looked at the Pennine group but the blog doesn't provide any contact for a coordinator (if there is one) but I'll put something on the group forum and try and pick something up. Thanks for the tip!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RobA2345 said:

Nah sadly it just crosses the mainline. I could probably do a slip, but I've grown attached to my hair. I'll add some pics to the post now. Cheers.

by making  it a slip the main line becomes much more usable instead of a shuttle track  and will increase operational potential 

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

by making  it a slip the main line becomes much more usable instead of a shuttle track  and will increase operational potential 

Nick

Yeah I know what you're saying, the mainline as it stands is really nothing more than a display track. Initially it was just going to be another Inglenook which is how the track plan was first planned. It's a good shout though and I'll definitely be considering it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Rob, 

Looking very good - once you get the track ballasted, it will be superb!  Are you happy with the running quality of your trackwork?  It looks good from the photos.

Rich

I think I need a back to back gauge as some of the wagons are a bit bumpy over some points but the Class 25 takes them fine. I had a failed experiment with the DAS clay for ash ballast as if you're not super careful the chairs and rails get fouled, I'm not yet convinced its viable in 2mm. I'll keep trying on some test pieces. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, RobA2345 said:

I think I need a back to back gauge as some of the wagons are a bit bumpy over some points but the Class 25 takes them fine. I had a failed experiment with the DAS clay for ash ballast as if you're not super careful the chairs and rails get fouled, I'm not yet convinced its viable in 2mm. I'll keep trying on some test pieces. 

Yes would be worth checking the B2B - look forward to seeing some photos of your DAS clay test pieces.

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been attempting to ballast using Chris Nevards method of using DAS clay. Takes ages so I'm hoping the final result will be good. In the first image I've given it a light coat of matt black to get an idea of the blending for the final results. I plan on adding paint to the rail sides and sleepers so it's only an idea.

Has anyone used this method before?

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...