Handsworth Goods

Locksley

With my Aldwarke photo plank out of the way I found I had a real itch to build something with a bit more operating interest than just a single line. Not difficult I know lol. I had a play around with some track plans to see what I could fit on another of the 1270 x 320mm boards I already had and finally came up with something I was happy with primarily for me to potter around on, but with the thought of it being potentially exhibitable somewhere down the line (pun absolutely intended.)

1901772689_TrackplanScreenshot.JPG.ffa6c5c012f263b81ac43d6914ee7781.JPG

Not final, but as you can see I've tried to fit as much trackwork into the available space as I can while still keeping it somewhat believable. The thought is a Northern inner city goods yard with a retaining wall as the backscene, and an overbridge at each end to contain the scene. I've deliberately chosen scenery and buildings to try to keep the era at least partially ambiguous so I can essentially run anything from late 1940s to present day, although it'll more likely be somewhere in the '60s - '80s region. The goods shed in the upper right corner, warehouse and workshop all give some purpose to shunting maneuvres, and should blend in well with the retaining walls - lots of nice grimy brickwork, cinder ballast, etc. I also plan to install some yellowy LEDs in a few of the buildings to give that dim gas-lit look, I'm even toying with the idea of a winter setting with melting snow but I'm not quite sure yet. The 009 NG section at the front will give some variation to the trackwork, gives me an opportunity to get some 3d printed stock drawn up, and can be used to ferry goods from the workshop to warehouse for loading onto mainline rolling stock.

I've provisionally purchased the Scalescenes kits I need, along with the Scaleglaze sheets to accompany them. Initially the plan is to assemble most of the buildings and walls/bridgework before I lay the track so I'm not trying to squeeze the buildings in at the last minute, plus I also want to spend a bit of time getting some 3d printed parts drawn up and printed - drainpipes, interior office furniture, crates for the sheds etc. Track will be Peco 75. More updates to come soon hopefully!

• Like 3

I got the Scalescenes stuff sneakily printed off on the laser printer at work yesterday (hope no-one checks the printer logs, 5 buildings, 3 copies of the viaduct and 5 copies of the retaining wall really adds up lol). To begin with I threw together the little free weighbridge/coal hut which turned out really nice. I managed to squeeze an LED in there (which is most definitely yellow and not green as my phone camera seems to insist). I also weathered it up a bit, maybe a bit heavy but this is probably going to be sat in the middle of the yard as a shunters hut so it wouldn't be exactly spotless. The roof is removable but as a result sits a little wonky so I may glue it in place, it would just make access to the LED and battery difficult if it ever needs replacing. I do plan to leave all the buildings loose however with a footprint to sit in on the layout which means I'd still be able to access it from underneath. I also need to get some chimney pots drawn up and printed off.

IMG_20190919_212528-01.jpeg.042f5583844253877ff9ad57bb18a2b5.jpeg

I also finalised the initial design for a narrow gauge loco to fit on a 4 wheeled Kato chassis. This is currently at the beginning of a 10+hr print at 0.02mm res as I type so it should be done late afternoon. I tried a 0.1mm draft print yesterday which came out ok, but the whole thing was just a bit too small and i had to break it apart to remove it from the chassis, however it did click into place nicely so the space inside for the chassis to sit is perfect.

99142009_Screenshot2.JPG.f47f50651d7620474419f6d12043bf38.JPG

698089096_Screenshot3.JPG.42b8e7c91768df64ad18cbd1e754e8f6.JPG

I want to do a few versions, now I have the base that fits over the chassis, the sky's the limit with designing bodies. At the very least I want to try a cabless version, and maybe even a centre cab one.

Next job will be making a start on the overbridges for each end of the layout. These will be full relief but only need texturing on the scenic side so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a faff to put together. Then I can make sure the length is right and begin the retaining walls.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If this is up to the standard of Aldwarke then it will be a mindblower, and I'm sure it will be.

Personally I'm of the less is more persuasion, so I think you've got too much track in there, especially the narrow gauge, but I realise it's there to give legroom to your 3D designs, so one less siding will give more elbow room for the remainder and not look so crammed in.

Do you need two exit roads?, I'd drop one and replace the track as siding maybe.

Whether you lose the NG or not, ( moving it up to second level maybe), how about angling the lines top left to bottom right a bit to remove the boxy linear look also giving a smidge more room for the run round?

Mike.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If this is up to the standard of Aldwarke then it will be a mindblower, and I'm sure it will be.

Personally I'm of the less is more persuasion, so I think you've got too much track in there, especially the narrow gauge, but I realise it's there to give legroom to your 3D designs, so one less siding will give more elbow room for the remainder and not look so crammed in.

Do you need two exit roads?, I'd drop one and replace the track as siding maybe.

Whether you lose the NG or not, ( moving it up to second level maybe), how about angling the lines top left to bottom right a bit to remove the boxy linear look also giving a smidge more room for the run round?

Mike.

Thanks Mike, all good points! I will definitely have a play around with the track plan as I'm still not 100% happy with it. The other thing that's bugging me is, although I've quadruple checked I've put the right baseboard dimensions into AnyRail, the whole thing looks slightly too wide and too short. It may just be an optical illusion though with the overbridges artificially closing everything in. I could do with trying some trackwork on the actual baseboard.

Edited by Locksley
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've had a rejig of the track plan over lunch and come up with this:

1709661757_Trackplanv2Screenshot.JPG.f073e2bfd1e1dac4ac0133533af92688.JPG

Still plenty of operating potential I think, but less points for a start which is much better on the wallet. I may also move the watertower yet but I'm not sure where to. The overbridges at each end can probably now be single track. Thoughts welcome.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DMU said:

Alex this looks like the beginnings of another one of your great layout builds..

Thanks Stuart, looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into it!

Decided to try a version without the 3-way point. I think that may be a little better, as much as I like the novelty of a 3-way it does save me £9 doing it this way.

834993764_Trackplanv3Screenshot.JPG.7a5c5bc6c2dd7bc74af4ee1f025a7107.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Locksley said:

Thanks Stuart, looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into it!

Decided to try a version without the 3-way point. I think that may be a little better, as much as I like the novelty of a 3-way it does save me £9 doing it this way.

834993764_Trackplanv3Screenshot.JPG.7a5c5bc6c2dd7bc74af4ee1f025a7107.JPG

Put the 3 way at the throat and do away with the other two turnouts and I would be inclined to put a curve in the entrance line to put the rest of the track on a slight diagonal, this tends to give the impression of more space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with a slight curve at the entry from the fiddle yard, and possibly a general curvature of the rest of the layout to get away from the boxy feel and create the illusion of greater length.  If the entry can be angled towards the front a general curve can be incorporated in the opposite direction, echoed by the retaining wall.  I think there's a case to be made for another short siding, a transfer road from the narrow gauge maybe with an end loading facility.  The cramped look can be explained by the location being on a hillside shelf formation, and many Northern industrial towns are hilly; if you can incorporate a small change of level sloping down towards the front of the layout this will enhance the impression.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys, v4:

384128212_Trackplanv4Screenshot.JPG.aaa0782595af5904b99306f5245d67b5.JPG

Ignore any kinks in the track, I couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted lol. The real trackwork will (hopefully) be smoother.

Decided to stick without the 3-way point still as I don't think it's quite worth it for the tiny extra bit of siding space. Placing the workshop and warehouse together does give the NG more purpose for ferrying stuff between them.

• Like 3

On 20/09/2019 at 19:06, Enterprisingwestern said:

1-20190112_160646-001.jpg.37edb2ebc4ac6e9e565cfc994ef8f795.jpg

Just a thought, but on Span Yard I put a mini fiddle stick at the opposite end to the fiddlyard stick to give the impression of wagons going somewhere off stage.

Mike.

Cool! I think I'll leave the bridge open at the end of the goods shed lane then so I can have that option.

Edited by Locksley
tpyo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, track is ordered and should be arriving today! I've mulled it over a fair bit and decided to stick with v4 of the track plan which I'm pretty happy with.

In the meantime I've been plugging away at some of the Scalescenes kits, the workshop is complete sans downpipes which will be 3d printed, along with some machinery for the interior and most likely something to cover the round vent at the top of the facade which I'm not particularly happy with as the circle I cut was rubbish lol. The warehouse is well on the way too and they look the biz next to each other. I know the narrow gauge line is fairly superfluous seeing as the buildings are next door to each other but still...

IMG_20191001_224005-01.jpeg.bd0bfc399459d599d187842756d8202f.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Alex,

For the vent at the top of the workshop you could have a look at these from York Modelmaking:

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/00-scale/round-windows-and-louvers-2

They do them in different sizes and also the headers to go with them. Always been a bit peeved as they do the louvres in 2mm scale but not the matching headers. Doh!!

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

Alex,

For the vent at the top of the workshop you could have a look at these from York Modelmaking:

They do them in different sizes and also the headers to go with them. Always been a bit peeved as they do the louvres in 2mm scale but not the matching headers. Doh!!

David

Have you given them a ring and asked if its possible for them to produce the headers?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Have you given them a ring and asked if its possible for them to produce the headers?

No but I will do when I get around to needing one. I've just always been puzzled as to why you would produce the louvre/window but not the surround.

David

On 17/09/2019 at 13:10, Locksley said:

The thought is a Northern inner city goods yard with a retaining wall as the backscene, and an overbridge at each end to contain the scene.

The name "Handsworth" is immediately associated with the City of Birmingham, so why not imagine your layout's location there? Unless Birmingham already counts as "Northern" for you??!! :jester:  

Seperate goods yards in the area were very common at one time, and often bordered just as you say, with retaining walls & tunnel entrances. If there was an interchange, it would be more likely to be with a canal than a narrow gauge railway, but other than that, your yard & name is highly plausible. AFAIK, none of Birmingham's goods yards were called "Handsworth Goods", either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Handsworth & Smethwick had a goods yard complete with a goods shed.

canvas.png.4e4080bcb4197732e9ec00e1b658ed2a.png

Google image:

https://goo.gl/maps/jnfrzRrYKguZQ1Ku7

You will notice that there is still the remnants of the goods yard being used for scrap metal and all 4 tracks but the top two are now West Midlands Metro

The (new) Station is now Handsworth Booth Street and only serves the trams.

There is another Handsworth around Sheffield.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A little inspiration from the Handsworth & Smethwick yard here, if you're interested:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhs2644.htm

(As an aside, I have a theory that the two storey stable block in the background of that photo can still be seen in Google maps, although unrecognisable as it has been cut down and reduced in length.)

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Handsworth & Smethwick had a goods yard complete with a goods shed.

There is another Handsworth around Sheffield.

Now called Handsworth Booth Street on the Midland Metro tram line. There are still goods sidings there too, off the railway lines proper,to scrapyards, but I don't know if they are still in use. Haven't seen any activity there in a few years.

I thought there might well be another Handsworth somewhere; a lot of place names aren't unique, but Handsworth, Birmingham I thought might be better known even outside the midlands, unfortunately due mainly to the infamous [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_England_riots ]Riots of 1981[/url], which included Brixton, Toxteth, and others. There were further riots in Handsworth in 1985, 1991, & 2005. 

Maybe not such a good idea to base a layout there, after all.... :notme:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Alex,

David

Thanks David, they do look good but with me only needing one it's as easy to quickly draw something up and 3d print it.

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The name "Handsworth" is immediately associated with the City of Birmingham, so why not imagine your layout's location there? Unless Birmingham already counts as "Northern" for you??!! :jester:  

Seperate goods yards in the area were very common at one time, and often bordered just as you say, with retaining walls & tunnel entrances. If there was an interchange, it would be more likely to be with a canal than a narrow gauge railway, but other than that, your yard & name is highly plausible. AFAIK, none of Birmingham's goods yards were called "Handsworth Goods", either. 

I'm afraid this one is Handsworth, Sheffield - Sean Bean's old stomping ground :D There weren't any goods yards or depots in the immediate vicinity as far as I know, the closest similar thing probably being the shed at Darnall just up the road.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I dug out the board over the weekend and roughly laid out where everything was going to go. Unfortunately it seems that the AnyRail plan is completely out of scale and I have no idea why. I've quadruple checked the dimensions and they're all correct so it's definitely something to do with the software. As such I'm going to have to lose the seperate siding going to the warehouse which is a shame but other than that, it doesn't look too bad.

IMG_20191006_212102-01.jpeg.90d3b65651a3c24ffeede74d6ad84507.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks to me like it's the footprint of the buildings that the plan got wrong? There would be space for the standard gauge siding next to the warehouse - IF there wasn't the loading platform there, and the narrow gauge sidings look to be further apart than in the plan, governed by the building doorways.

It might be too late now - if the two buildings are glued together, but if not, if the front building was pushed further to the left (to join at the back wall of the rear building) that would enable the rear building to come closer to the front of the board, while still giving room for the front narrow gauge siding to enter the doorway square on. Omitting the loading platform might then just give you enough room to squeeze the Standard gauge siding behind the rear building as intended - although it did look tight on the plan, to be honest!!

Hope that makes sense & helps.