Handsworth Goods

Locksley

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Locksley said:

I dug out the board over the weekend and roughly laid out where everything was going to go. Unfortunately it seems that the AnyRail plan is completely out of scale and I have no idea why. I've quadruple checked the dimensions and they're all correct so it's definitely something to do with the software. As such I'm going to have to lose the seperate siding going to the warehouse which is a shame but other than that, it doesn't look too bad.

The scale of the workshop and warehouse look wrong to me.

Anyrail plan they look just over half the width of the board. On your board the half width looks to be left rail of the goods entrance.

9 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

The scale of the workshop and warehouse look wrong to me.

Anyrail plan they look just over half the width of the board. On your board the half width looks to be left rail of the goods entrance.

I think it's a bit of both, all the dimensions look out to me, including the length and width of the board, so I've no idea what I've done. I've checked that everything is in mm and all are correct so I can't help but think it's a software issue rather than the idiot at the keyboard.

• Like 1

Got a good chunk of the first overbridge assembled which looks better than I thought it would. It's a fairly simple kit but cutting out the elliptical arches was a PITA. Just need to assemble the parapet walls then it's done. I haven't detailed the rear side as this isn't going to be properly seen. My plan is to use black Daler board as a backscene to hopefully give a gloomy overcast feel. The inside of the bridge openings are also black as for the time being this will only be used at home so I figured that would look better for photos than a big gaping hole. These can easily be sliced through when I come to build fiddle boards.

IMG_20191008_194155-01.jpeg.f959e4fa0360d19758241b08f1f4d50c.jpeg

I'm still faffing with the track plan, I'm sort of getting somewhere with it but I think I'm going to have to compromise a little from what I originally wanted to ensure I have enough room to run around a wagon.

IMG_20191008_211009-01.jpeg.76946d388af6901a0b27029fe2c58001.jpeg

• Like 1

I've gotta say I didn't expect to get this far last night but the track is laid and everything wired up. Amazingly it works perfectly, both my Hornby Sentinel and J94 crawl over the entire thing really well.

Unfortunately I had to compromise quite heavily in the end, in fact I've sacrificed the workshop building in favour of placing the goods shed in the bottom right corner, leaving that siding loose so I can adjust it once the goods shed is built. The original plan of having it at the back would have meant there was no way, in model or real life, that a road would have had access to it. This does mean that the siding at the back has been freed up and I'll possibly place the water tower there along with a water crane and maybe a coaling stage and make it into a bit of a maintenance road.

IMG_20191009_224939-01.jpeg.98f4d942bad786e8bdaf7d48ea2efb51.jpeg

As I'm building it on a less than ideal strip of laminate flooring I decided to try out copper tape as a bus as there's no chance of getting anything underneath. I cut the track to length and joined it all up, then carfully flipped it upside down and soldered a dropper wire to each piece. I then flipped it back round and soldered each one to its related bus. No issues on DC, though I haven't yet tried it on DCC so that will be tonight's first job.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Locksley said:

I've gotta say I didn't expect to get this far last night but the track is laid and everything wired up. Amazingly it works perfectly, both my Hornby Sentinel and J94 crawl over the entire thing really well.

Unfortunately I had to compromise quite heavily in the end, in fact I've sacrificed the workshop building in favour of placing the goods shed in the bottom right corner, leaving that siding loose so I can adjust it once the goods shed is built. The original plan of having it at the back would have meant there was no way, in model or real life, that a road would have had access to it. This does mean that the siding at the back has been freed up and I'll possibly place the water tower there along with a water crane and maybe a coaling stage and make it into a bit of a maintenance road.

As I'm building it on a less than ideal strip of laminate flooring I decided to try out copper tape as a bus as there's no chance of getting anything underneath. I cut the track to length and joined it all up, then carfully flipped it upside down and soldered a dropper wire to each piece. I then flipped it back round and soldered each one to its related bus. No issues on DC, though I haven't yet tried it on DCC so that will be tonight's first job.

Is your board braced in any way? If not, it will bend out of true very quickly if you stand it on end or lean it against a wall, etc.

aac

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, aac said:

Is your board braced in any way? If not, it will bend out of true very quickly if you stand it on end or lean it against a wall, etc.

aac

It isn't, however it will be spending most of its life on a shelf.

48 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

That has to be Understatement of The Century..!!! :scared:

I had no issues using it for my Aldwarke plank, it's well over 10mm thick and has no flex in it whatsoever. For something that will spend 99% of it's life on a shelf I didn't think there was much point doing anything more to it.

Edited by Locksley
  • Like 1

Still waiting for a pack of Daler board to get here (should be in today) before I can carry on with any more buildings, but I did get an order from Hattons on Friday. As I'm wanting to keep the layout fairly era neutral, I went for a couple of vehicles that I could switch around depending on what's running. The Landy should be OK to stand in for I guess mid-50s until around the time TOPS came in, then the Bedford pretty much anything Post-TOPS to early 90s. The 07 was on offer and I've been itching to have a play with one so couldn't resist. That's been weathered and will be sold on soon. See my repaint thread for more pics.

IMG_20191011_213315-01.jpeg.a924a9ece4a9cd3d925938277f0abe2f.jpeg

IMG_20191013_161052-01.jpeg.60360ba8d8e5db85eb74c042c6eaede5.jpeg

IMG_20191013_161114-01.jpeg.72eb554860eafb768c661cf79740a931.jpeg

IMG_20191013_161021-01.jpeg.7dc5dc5a37c144db11ee826bb94bb65c.jpeg

IMG_20191013_161032-01.jpeg.aed9bd39b8d1680ff287dc52bab7cfca.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 07:24, Locksley said:

I like your use of copper tape on the top surface as a bus ... I have similar tape (sold as environmentally friendly slug repellant for fixing around the base of plant pots) so wonder (1) how easy is it to solder wires to (I am a novice solderer ... then again, I am also a novice track layer and I butchered two points into an interleaved point the other night, so who dares wins, as they say!) and (2) how do you plan on burying the wires/strips?

I have no doubt that this layout will end us as good as if not surpassing your previous efforts!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 20:53, SteveyDee68 said:

I like your use of copper tape on the top surface as a bus ... I have similar tape (sold as environmentally friendly slug repellant for fixing around the base of plant pots) so wonder (1) how easy is it to solder wires to (I am a novice solderer ... then again, I am also a novice track layer and I butchered two points into an interleaved point the other night, so who dares wins, as they say!) and (2) how do you plan on burying the wires/strips?

I have no doubt that this layout will end us as good as if not surpassing your previous efforts!

Steve S

Thanks Steve, it's incredibly easy to solder to, just a dab of flux then flood it with solder, no need to tin it or anything.

On 16/11/2019 at 08:06, Enterprisingwestern said:

A bit late now I know, but a layer of cork on top of the laminate would have allowed you to sink the wiring in.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, that would have worked well, but I'm planning to just cover the entire area in cinder ballast so any wires will be hidden under that.

Edited by Locksley
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, sb67 said:

It's all coming along nicely Locksley, what was the copper tape you've used? I was going to use some slug trap tape and was wondering if it would be any good.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, tbh I can't remember, it was just some I ordered from Amazon a few years back I think. I originally got it to light up an R/C boat I was building that still isn't finished.

• Thanks 1

A little more progress made on the layout over the weekend. The main footprint of the goods shed has been built which meant I could fix the goods shed lane in place, as well as lay the NG line and glue the warehouse hardstanding down. I still need to cut out the hardstanding for the area in front of the shed then I'm not far off ready for painting the track and ballasting.

IMG_20191122_213121-01.jpeg.c29ff5db8bfaa07b34fce9c7d7ace504.jpeg

IMG_20191122_223807-01.jpeg.0659759912620138cad24427322240b9.jpeg

IMG_20191122_223822-01.jpeg.431a6e97b8184d6b85ac588e1e3ac875.jpeg

IMG_20191123_224633-01.jpeg.b3b5aee4fd0b0a1923ec2ef9c7429e46.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This project isn't completely dead yet! lol. I finally managed to get the entire board base coated in black just after Christmas, after gluing the final bits of hardstanding, buffer stops, and 3d printed parts in place. The track has now been weathered with a mix of Vallejo Model Air Burnt Umber and Black, plus a light overspray and drybrush of RAF Middle Stone.

IMG_20200212_214153-01.jpeg.a2072f131deb7b5869d956a6870d988a.jpeg

I also gave the Scalescenes structures a similar treatment.

IMG_20200212_210953-01.jpeg.edcc35f40a08adf50907331c52f4f52c.jpeg

Next up I should be able to start getting some buildings in place and actually get some ballast down.

• Like 4

That's all looking great Alex. I like how you've used the scalescenes buildings. What did you use the Mod Podge for? My partner's used it for some craft stuff and I've always wondered what it was and if I could 'borrow' it, it looks like PVA to me.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. I picked up the Mod Podge from Hobbycraft last year after hearing good stuff about it, it is basically just a high quality PVA, but the matt one does tend to dry a bit duller than others which makes it ideal for modelling. I also used it in the ballast glue mix which again means it dries a little less glossy. I'd recommend it.

• Thanks 1

Powering on with the layout now, most of the ballasting is done except for the rearmost part that needed the backscene retaining wall in place first, which is now doneIMG_20200223_220500-01.jpeg.00636d784ce35ce166a69b265c41da71.jpegIMG_20200223_220453-01.jpeg.296936e44ec4e36f613240b1df3d8586.jpeg. Hoping to get that ballasted tonight then I can clean up the track and make sure it still works.

• Like 4

67025 waits for some diesel pumps to be 3d printed and fitted on what will become the refueling road.

IMG_20200224_202635-01.jpeg.63ae829a02c35afb89b81c95d24af211.jpeg

I've added a small concrete hardstanding/platform for the fuel point behind the 67, and I also got the rest of the ballasting done last night. Next jobs will be drawing up and printing the fuel pumps, as well as some general clutter, then the plan is to borrow a workmate's static grass tool to break up the ballast a bit.