Peco sle-99 three way turnout and DCC Concepts Cobalt ip digital motors

DCC Peco sle-99 three way turnout and Cobalt ip digital motors

I am putting together a DCC controlled track and had to install a Peco SLE-99 electrofrog three way turnout using DCC Concepts Cobalt ip digital point motors that switch the frogs. The first problem is getting the frogs to be the right polarity on switching and the second problem is to stop the blades trying to switch when "captured" against the turnout side by the other blade. Confusion reigned until I sought help from DCC concepts where Chris was a tremendous help sending me a diagram that explained how I could not only switch the frogs but also the power to each point via the inbuilt cobalt switches to avoid clashes.   However, I had my point motors orientated in a certain way essentially facing each other which I found did not match the diagram provided so I thought it might be useful to show how I eventually got it all working.. Basically I had two DCC Cobalt ip digital motors facing each other under the point as shown in the picture below. Basically with motor A as the first and motor B as the second (further up the point) I ended up with (looking from underneath) ..

In the second picture from underneath the front of the point is on the left of the picture.  Motor A is on the right - motor B on the left of the picture

a) the left frog wire attached to "frog" on motor A  at 3 - this controlled the one wired frog 

b) the right frog wire attached to "frog" on motor B at 3  - this controlled the two wired frog

c) I had DCC bus live 1 brown coming in to "A" on 2 and 4

d) I had DCC bus live 2 blue coming in to "B" on 2 and 4 

e) I linked 1 on "B" to 6 on A - this controlled when B got power as A switched power from 4 or S2-L

f) I linked 6 on  "B" to 1 on "A" - this controlled when A got power as B switched power from 4 or S2L

This seems to work find and stops blades clashing and the frogs are live and dont short. 

Hope it helps some other novice users :)

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

Edited by Bob Saunders
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...