Locos in odd/rare corners of the network.

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Heres a few more..

a pair of 20’s at Bolton..

a pair of 26’s in Manchester Victoria..

and just to raise the 37/9 in Piccadilly, heres 37904 in Bolton..

there used to be a regular steel train working through Bolton in the late 1980’s, always with 1 or 2 37’s on it, which looking at my records are mostly Cardiff 37’s on, though Gartcosh put in an appearance once. Not sure of the origin, but they are loaded northbound and mostly went down the Chorley line, but occasionally went via Blackburn.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Heres a few more..

a pair of 20’s at Bolton..B0CD32C5-D64C-4592-B6C0-F18CA7DA04D7.jpeg.f37030735b3d6336dbd00297329c039d.jpeg

a pair of 26’s in Manchester Victoria..

23C97E85-8A6F-4C85-B51A-A572A8A937D4.jpeg.cff0dc1046b9fdc8d7672261db912dbf.jpeg

and just to raise the 37/9 in Piccadilly, heres 37904 in Bolton..277399BF-05B9-4325-AAA8-DAF4BB97A82E.jpeg.a4302b6773a6a4377ae723e1cbe0b90d.jpeg

there used to be a regular steel train working through Bolton in the late 1980’s, always with 1 or 2 37’s on it, which looking at my records are mostly Cardiff 37’s on, though Gartcosh put in an appearance once. Not sure of the origin, but they are loaded northbound and mostly went down the Chorley line, but occasionally went via Blackburn.

This wouldn't have served Metal Box at Westhoughton, would it?

• RMweb Gold

A couple more Cardiff steel 37’s around Manchester... 37712 and 37901.

Unfortunately no idea the origin / destination...

Iirc the train ran on a Thursday, am northwards, pm southwards and composition varied, it could be these as shown, or coils, occasionally a mix including VDAs. The return would lay over outside Victoria in the old Exchange platforms.

Edited by adb968008

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

91F72E42-EA57-495D-A03A-E2030B68B028.jpeg.029055df14a90a3c26d903bf5569c4c2.jpegB077582D-E29E-4DF7-ADAF-4B2E2CB9B943.jpeg.d04e8533e8044cfd6b39b57bf2dcd71f.jpeg

Iirc the train ran on a Thursday, am northwards, pm southwards and composition varied, it could be these as shown, or coils, occasionally a mix including VDAs. The return would lay over outside Victoria in the old Exchange platforms.

Definitely tinplate from Trostre to Westhoughton; the frames that locate the coils are visible. The VDAs may have been carrying either baled tinplate or different sized coils; alternatively, they might have been working to ROF Chorley, if it was still open.

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

91F72E42-EA57-495D-A03A-E2030B68B028.jpeg.029055df14a90a3c26d903bf5569c4c2.jpegB077582D-E29E-4DF7-ADAF-4B2E2CB9B943.jpeg.d04e8533e8044cfd6b39b57bf2dcd71f.jpeg

Edited by Fat Controller
Duplication of text.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve also got pictures 37027/037/201/903/904 multiple times & 905 / 906 so 37/9’s seemed to be common on this turn.

occasionally the 37 seems to have done a LE turn, stabled at Victoria, presumably inbetween unloading.

northbound seems to be via Piccadilly (I’ve none coming down Platting bank), but equally return is all via Victoria.

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And as for other odd excursions....

1200 to Derby

8598 to Swindon

Float my boat!

Quite right about 8598 to Swindon Phil, I understand this occurred on 16th August 1972 to collect Test Coach Hermes from the works. Never saw this one myself, although I did catch D5901 heading north through Stafford one evening in Nov 73.....

• Like 2

On 06/10/2019 at 16:29, Fat Controller said:

This wouldn't have served Metal Box at Westhoughton, would it?

Yes, steel coil in vans (VDA?) was a Man Vic turn , nice canteen at Metal Box. The train came up from Cardiff overnight, Vic driver travelled out on the last Picc Crewe passenger then walked up to Gresty Lane relieve cabin , the train rolled in around 4am. Now this is where it gets complicated as there was nominally traffic for Trafford Park , steel coil wire in SPA's but it was rare traffic in the train . From TP it was back through Picc to Ashbury's for quick run round then via Philips Park and Miles Platting into Vic for relieve and bed. The train was booked up the Styal line from Wilmslow. If it was just Metal Box traffic I would ask to go via Stockport and Denton straight into Vic and tie the train down as the relieve booked on around 7am. From Vic the train normally ran via Bolton to Westhoughton but I have run over the Atherton line and run round at Wallgate! Shunt the factory have a good breakfast in the canteen and back to Vic, now I'm pretty sure we worked empty vans back to Vic (Exchange) and got relieved by Warrington crew. The job only ran for about 18 months through Vic and was a rehash of an ex Springs Branch trip working. One interesting feature not seen by the public was the use of an ex OBA as a reach wagon into one of the two unloading docks , normally the train loaded to about 8 vans so it wasn't needed. I took several dozen photos over a few different trips but sadly they got lost years ago.

Edited by w124bob
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2019 at 02:04, Neil Phillips said:

Quite right about 8598 to Swindon Phil, I understand this occurred on 16th August 1972 to collect Test Coach Hermes from the works. Never saw this one myself, although I did catch D5901 heading north through Stafford one evening in Nov 73.....

Cheers Neil .... 5901 did get about with the tribometer train, but havent seen any evidence of her south of Brum except on my model!

Also had a reported sighting of 5705 heading south towards Gloucester but no triangulation of that one.....

Phil

• RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2019 at 21:10, w124bob said:

Yes, steel coil in vans (VDA?) was a Man Vic turn , nice canteen at Metal Box. The train came up from Cardiff overnight, Vic driver travelled out on the last Picc Crewe passenger then walked up to Gresty Lane relieve cabin , the train rolled in around 4am. Now this is where it gets complicated as there was nominally traffic for Trafford Park , steel coil wire in SPA's but it was rare traffic in the train . From TP it was back through Picc to Ashbury's for quick run round then via Philips Park and Miles Platting into Vic for relieve and bed. The train was booked up the Styal line from Wilmslow. If it was just Metal Box traffic I would ask to go via Stockport and Denton straight into Vic and tie the train down as the relieve booked on around 7am. From Vic the train normally ran via Bolton to Westhoughton but I have run over the Atherton line and run round at Wallgate! Shunt the factory have a good breakfast in the canteen and back to Vic, now I'm pretty sure we worked empty vans back to Vic (Exchange) and got relieved by Warrington crew. The job only ran for about 18 months through Vic and was a rehash of an ex Springs Branch trip working. One interesting feature not seen by the public was the use of an ex OBA as a reach wagon into one of the two unloading docks , normally the train loaded to about 8 vans so it wasn't needed. I took several dozen photos over a few different trips but sadly they got lost years ago.

Thanks for the insight...

is this one one of yours then resting it out at exchange...

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks for the insight...

is this one one of yours then resting it out at exchange...

4FAB76EB-200E-4ECD-9A24-7416FAABAB7C.jpeg

The first two vans, at least, appear to be VAA or VBAs, At some point, there had been scrap traffic outbound for AS&W at Cardiff from Trafford Park, also attached to this working.

Edited by Fat Controller
Additional text

No thats not one of my pictures, my comment about the type of van used was from vague memory. All my pictures were taken from inside the factory gate . Now back to the thread, does this count.

A shot of 47556 waiting between Oldham Mumps and Oldham Werneth with ecs for a Footex, Villa played Latics and we waited a few minutes for a path into Wernth before picking up the fans and heading for Crewe and a loco change. Returned  via Ashton , Denton, Guide Bridge , Stockport and Crewe. I worked a fair few class 31's around the Oldham loop but this was the only 47 I took up there, and possibly the last footex round the branch .

3323994992_30a45dae86_c.jpg

7 hours ago, w124bob said:

No thats not one of my pictures, my comment about the type of van used was from vague memory. All my pictures were taken from inside the factory gate . Now back to the thread, does this count.

A shot of 47556 waiting between Oldham Mumps and Oldham Werneth with ecs for a Footex, Villa played Latics and we waited a few minutes for a path into Wernth before picking up the fans and heading for Crewe and a loco change. Returned  via Ashton , Denton, Guide Bridge , Stockport and Crewe. I worked a fair few class 31's around the Oldham loop but this was the only 47 I took up there, and possibly the last footex round the branch .

3323994992_30a45dae86_c.jpg

Do you have a date for this one?

Well according to Oldham Villa fixtures I've got a bad memory, I've dated the picture on my Flickr site as August 21st 1991 , that date tallies with a home match against Chelsea and explains why it's still light at 21.30! 

17 hours ago, w124bob said:

Well according to Oldham Villa fixtures I've got a bad memory, I've dated the picture on my Flickr site as August 21st 1991 , that date tallies with a home match against Chelsea and explains why it's still light at 21.30! 

Yeah, that sounds about right; first home game in 1st division, Latics won 3-1, IIRC. I woz there!

Traction magazine 164 (June 2008) contains a photo of green Class 31 5827 heading west at St Bureaux with 1V76 0915 Liverpool - Penzance on 29th June 1973. It was expected to return later that evening on a freight but for whatever reason only got as far as Truro where it was dumped in the yard overnight. Later on the 30th it was towed east by D1049 with 7575 for company. Although I was in the vicinity I missed all this excitement!

So far as is currently known this was:

- the first Class 31 over the Tamar

- the only one to visit in pre-TOPS days

- the only loco seen in Cornwall with double-arrow logos on green livery (if such details appeal!)

- and it meant that the Cornish hills echoed to the sound of an English Electric power unit over 8 months before the first Class 50 turned up (Class 08 doesn't count!)

Brave to entrust a Class 1 passenger service over the Cornish hills to a single Type 2, but perhaps Class 31's reputation as a slogger preceded it.

On 15th February 1974 5827 was renumbered 31294 while still in green livery, the only Class 31 so treated and it appears to have lasted just 2 weeks - nonetheless I saw it passing Reading westbound light engine on the 16th, and if the signal had been red instead of green I'd have taken a photo of this rarity, but it caught me by surprise! The loco seemed to like being in Cornwall as it paid at least two return visits. In blue livery of course!

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sorry this is bit vague, but I remember how strange it was (c.1969) to see a loco in Network South East colours arriving in Teignmouth station on the up line. Perhaps it was a Class 50?

The year must be a typo for NSE, but whilst a Class 50 is the most likely, the loco could equally have been a Class 47. The NSE ones got around, certainly into Cornwall and even Inverness.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2019 at 22:49, Red Devil said:

Baby Deltic at Penistone...

I've seen pics of Hymeks there too

56795697_10156973567814351_6148607994780188672_n.jpg

Beyer Peacock locos from their factory at Gorton were trialled on the GC Woodhead route, which accounts for the Hymeks.  The Baby Deltic in the photo is possibly being pulled by an equally ex-works 37 on a delivery run to Doncaster for acceptance; both locos are in pristine condition.

• RMweb Gold

Baby deltic is in rebuilt condition with 4 character headcode rather than discs as new build so has to be 64 -65 - if 37 is fresh from Vulcan Foundry then could be one of D6934 - D6984 to align with those dates....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Baby deltic is in rebuilt condition with 4 character headcode rather than discs as new build so has to be 64 -65 - if 37 is fresh from Vulcan Foundry then could be one of D6934 - D6984 to align with those dates....

Cheers

Phil