Gauge O Guild 7mm Layout Modelling Competition at Guildex20

nickd

Layout competition notice.pdf

Hi Everyone.  The Gauge O Guild is proud to announce, in association with Minerva Model Railways and Intentio, a 7mm Layout Competition to be held at Guildex20.  Please click the link above.for full details, or click here to go to the entry page:

www.gauge0guild.com/layout_competition/Layout_comp_notice.aspx

Nick Dunhill, Competition Manager.

Edited by nickd
  • Like 9

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Gold

Nick,

A friend of mine who currently reads rmWeb but doesn't have an account (I keep telling him to sign up!) has asked me if the 20sq ft specified in the rules is purely scenic area, or the entire layout (ie including sector plate/fiddle yard etc)?  As he commented if you had to take say 6sqft off for a traverser (for example) then 14sq ft could be limiting.  I said I'd post and ask.

Rich

Hi Rich. 

The main criteria were looking for are quality and atmosphere.  The competition category is defined as Small Layout and 20sqft is the overall footprint of the layout including sidings, fiddle yards etc.  We have imposed this as space at the exhibition for entries has been limited to one isle of the hall, and we'd like to get at least 5 entries in it.  However if some of the layouts are as small as Marc's (above) then we may be able to accommodate more than 5 on the isle.  If the competition is a success this year than the GOG Events team may be persuaded to give us more space in following years, so we may be able to increase the size limit.  

This is a new venture for us and we'll review the rules in January when the deadline for entries passes.

Nick

Edited by nickd
  • Like 5

Some photos of "Wm.C. Boggs and Son Ltd's progress so far. The building in the foreground is a water base.  The B/W card mock-ups will be replaced with a 3D back scene. My next job is to lay the track which should be done shortly.

Marc 

IMG_20190714_221448904.jpg

Sept 1.jpg

Sept 2.jpg

Sept 3.jpg

sept 4.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nickd said:

Hi Rich. 

The main criteria were looking for are quality and atmosphere.  The competition category is defined as Small Layout and 20sqft is the overall footprint of the layout including sidings, fiddle yards etc.  We have imposed this as space at the exhibition for entries has been limited to one isle of the hall, and we'd like to get at least 5 entries in it.  However if some of the layouts are as small as Marc's (above) then we may be able to accommodate more than 5 on the isle.  If the competition is a success this year than the GOG Events team may be persuaded to give us more space in following years, so we may be able to increase the size limit.  

This is a new venture for us and we'll review the rules in January when the deadline for entries passes.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Thats logical, i’ll pass the information on. Just a thought if this is the thread to register an entry fine, but if AndyY is going to create a dedicated area for threads, like has happened with other competitions, it may be worth linking to it in the first post?

10 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Good question I read the rules again and it could be either. I have submitted our entry of Bogg and Son. See what happens now. our area i well under the 20ft limit.

Marc

Good luck Marc, one hopes that you and your son are ‘flushed’ with success!! :P

Rich

• Thanks 1

A 6" wide 0 gauge layout would be perfectly workable if you are happy to confine scenic development to the backscene plus a bit of half relief, but a forty foot long layout would be difficult to fit in! It might be better to specify a maximum linear dimension in addition to the area.

• Agree 1

I've just posted an entry.  I'm building a 56 foot layout, called Höchstädt, which has an invite to Guildex in 2021.  The plan is to have the branch line terminus, called Blindheim, in front of one of the fiddle yards and I have already built three 4' x 8" baseboards.  So build a temporary 8' fiddle yard and I have an entry of 20' x 8".  And obviously it's German.

Bill

• Like 3

Nick,

A little bit of chicken and egg!  At the moment I have three unadorned baseboards and will lay track during the winter.   If my entry is accepted in February, then I will purchase some building kits at the Gießen show in March.  So the scenick work would take up the next couple of months and I reckon photographs should be available in May.  Blindheim will have two tracks on a 8" wide baseboard; everything will be half relief other than an engine shed.  If you want to see examples of my work, the original Höchstädt is in the May 2015 Continental Modeller.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

This surely must have the makings of a great competition and I look forward, as a visitor, seeing the layouts in the flesh at the show. I certainly can't enter it this year but would be tempted for the following year if this is going to be a regular thing. It also allows others to gain inspiration for small areas at home. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've entered.

All I need to do now is build a suitable layout.

Of course, living just north of Telford will enable me to take the baseboards up to the  International Centre to make sure they fit in the space available:laugh_mini:.

Sadly (for me) next year appears to be the last Guildex in Telford due to escalating hall fees.

On 19/09/2019 at 17:23, Furness Wagon said:

Some photos of "Wm.C. Boggs and Son Ltd's progress so far. The building in the foreground is a water base.  The B/W card mock-ups will be replaced with a 3D back scene. My next job is to lay the track which should be done shortly.

Marc 

IMG_20190714_221448904.jpg

Sept 1.jpg

Sept 2.jpg

Sept 3.jpg

sept 4.jpg

I'd like to know if you get any issues with buffer-locking on the S-bends formed by the cross-overs. I'm working on some designs at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

We tested the working layout for the first time this evening. No buffer locking at all a few of the wagons needed some attention on their couplings but that was mainly moving parts not dropping back when they should and the dead buffers on the M/W tank need a bit more depth to stop the couplings hitting each other. Will post some more photos before I put in in the car tomorrow night for its first show at the weekend. There is still a lot of the detail to add and the frame around the scenic section, but its about 75% there. And things move

Marc

nov 13 2019.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Guildex 2020 has finally been cancelled by the Gauge O Guild for public health reasons.

I'm sure there will be another small layout competition somewhere, sometime.

Dava