Kettering & District Model Railway Society

Some Lad

Hi there,

I am currently exhibition manager at Kettering & District Model Railway Society.

Your recent shows seem to be on a similar level as ours.

We have just had our second exhibtion under my watch and one of the disappointing elements was the contributions of our trade stands.

Last year their voulntary contributions for traders average at £70 per trader for the one day show. However, this year it was around £40 despite a higher attendance. One also refused to pay a contribution!

So, I want to be able to budget more sensibly giving a charge tariff to ensure a reasonable income.

Can I enquire how you allocate trade stand space and 'hire fees' for one day, either by footage or some other formula! Should I demand a deposit?

What would you consider a reasonable trader to layout ratio, this year we at 5 trade stands to 22 exhibitor stands?

Kind Regards,

Trevor Powell

Having been to the show I’d firstly offer my congratulations for what was an excellent, local club show - layout, trade and catering wise. The ratio of exhibits to trade by the number of each looks  to have room for some more traders but in fairness as there were a good number of small layouts, on a per foot basis, it was probably about right.

Interesting that traders, for whatever reason, were disappointed with their day and whilst higher attendances offer a better chance of peddling their wares, it offers no guarantees and some of that has to be down to their efforts - what they stock, what they charge and of course, how good they are at selling.

Having increased footfall over previous, the club has clearly done their bit so you’ve every right to be disappointed. Next time you should be a little less of a gentleman and agree up front with traders what they’ll pay, you could always reduce it if things didn’t go well and maybe a chat with other clubs might give an indication of the cost per foot for traders.

I’ll look forward to 2020!

I have never been an exhibition manager but...

For the trader who refused to pay - You have provided them potential customers for the day & they used part of the hall which your club paid for, so this is not fair. I would not invite them back.

Now you know how much seems acceptable, I would work out a rate per foot (or metre) of stand. I believe many shows work this way.

You can then tell them what the rate is when you invite them & it is  then up to the trader how big a stand they want.