North Bridge - Layout in a Box

Having recently discovered the wide range of module MDF baseboards now available, I've been toying with the idea of a smallish N-gauge layout, and from messing around with AnyRail and Sketchup I've come up with what I hope to be a feasible plan.

Taking inspiration from the stations at Halifax North Bridge and Halifax St Paul's, I've combined elements of both to create a small terminus station located below a rough approximation of the eponymous North Bridge. The intention is to set the scene sometime in the late 50s/early 60s with the station in a rather dilapidated state, served by elderly GNR and L&Y stock (availability permitting!)

The track plan itself is based on Sheringham Yard from the Peco N-Gauge Setrack Planbook, but with the addition of an extra kickback siding in order to turn the front section of the layout into an Inglenook.

Layoutinabox.jpg.9eedd6e0e02da28bdc2c8d493dfd3fd2.jpg

The bridge forms the scenic break between on- and off-scene - the idea being that the station and the sidings both continue beyond the bridge. The real North Bridge was a through station and had an extensive goods yard and multiple sidings running below the bridge itself - this interpretation instead models a small terminus, with buildings loosely based on those at St Pauls, and the goods facilities largely off-scene, with just a bay for parcels traffic and the stubs of a few sidings.

NorthBridge02.png.7da486197bb0c5d17673b8ae849d1f9b.png

NorthBridge01.png.5382be903c56881d52271a0ceacbe15b.png

NorthBridge03.png.59eee758250c2213112053eac60e456d.png

I'm hoping to use one of the layout in a box kits from Scale Model Scenery as the baseboard, and to design my own buildings for laser-cutting via Razor Lab.

Any feedback or suggestions would be very welcome, as this is my first real foray into N Gauge.

• Like 6

I like your plan and the general setting. The only thing I would question is having the Inglnook sidings underneath the bridge. You will need to do a lot of coupling and uncoupling during the shunting, that may be a bit of a problem if the tracks are not easily accessible? Could you move the bridge further to the left, or place it at a more slanted angle?

You could also move the entire Inglenook to the left by extending the feeder track, and build it as part of your on-scene section. You could then make a partition to separate the shunting yard from the station fiddle yard behind it.

Edited by faded_Glory

SInce you are not supposed to park wagons on the points (at least I think those are the rules), you could design it with the points under the bridge and the sidings sticking out on either side. If you keep the bridge removable you'd still have access for cleaning/maintenance.

This might also make the feeder track long enough for the loco + 3 wagons and still stay clear of the point that feeds the platform.

Edited by faded_Glory

Looks like an interesting concept, but just one possible flaw. Is having sidings under the bridge/scenic break a wise ploy, maybe in view of the need for uncoupling? Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how it develops further. And this is your very-first venture in N Gauge? I can recommend it, having "taken the plunge" myself a few years back, what with my own industrial offering, entitled "Nutt & Bolton" (see attached picture). N is indeed a useful space-saver, and as I've found, you can cram an awful lot of detail, operating potential into a small space. Good luck with North Bridge!

006.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice use of space!

I get what you mean about the sidings being under the bridge - I do need to develop the plan a bit.

In the meantime, in lieu of any actual modelling, I've been trying to get a better grip of Sketchup, to come up with a rough approximation of the old station building at Halifax St Paul's.

Station2.png.b85e0c075e689379f700c5714abe7b25.png

Station1.png.e9084f40a6bdd560c8218c5b0dcd6dfb.png

• Like 3