Questions for someone Building a Layout for you..?

if someone would/is building a DCC layout for yourself. What questions what you ask him on visiting his workshop for the first time to see if he is the right person for the job ?

What questions would you ask yourself on building your fist layout.?

its an OO Gauge (Roundy Roundy) BR diesels. (Diesels and Rolling stock are all ready to go BTW).

Hi Jon... Thanks but i was thinking of asking more questions like..

How are the legs fixed and folded

What point controllers does he use?

What are the boards made of and stand upto damp?

Timescale of building?

How do individual boards fold for transport?

Which van is best for transporting such a layout? (That's a big question i know and needs proper investigation )

Are side shields for the curves a possible option on build. (To stop little kids touching moving trains)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

Hi Jon... Thanks but i was thinking of asking more questions like..

How are the legs fixed and folded

What point controllers does he use?

What are the boards made of and stand upto damp?

Timescale of building?

How do individual boards fold for transport?

Which van is best for transporting such a layout? (That's a big question i know and needs proper investigation )

Are side shields for the curves a possible option on build. (To stop little kids touching moving trains)

If you’re commissioning the layout:

Questions one to four and seven I’d expect significant input from you. What are your preferences? You’re the customer, it’s your budget. If you don’t know ask their recommendations and why. See earlier comments regarding seeing previous work.

Questions five and six will depend on if it’s your van, or if you hire. The dimensions of the baseboards and how they’re designed to be transported, may determine what vehicles you have to use. Are they building the baseboards or using off the shelf kits?

Ensure you have a contract in place, this will protect both sides. Include overall costs, deposits, any agreed milestones for progress and payment/payments. It doesn’t need reams of paperwork, just a simple work schedule so both parties know what’s expected of them.

DCC. Will the layout be supplied plug and play, do they have experience with whichever system is be installed. 

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PMP said:

If you’re commissioning the layout:

Questions one to four and seven I’d expect significant input from you. What are your preferences? You’re the customer, it’s your budget. If you don’t know ask their recommendations and why. See earlier comments regarding seeing previous work.

Questions five and six will depend on if it’s your van, or if you hire. The dimensions of the baseboards and how they’re designed to be transported, may determine what vehicles you have to use.

Ensure you have a contract in place, this will protect both sides. Include overall costs, deposits, any agreed milestones for progress and payment/payments. It doesn’t need teams of paperwork, just a simple work schedule so both parties know what’s expected of them. 

You’ve not mentioned control systems, DC/DCC. Will the layout be supplied plug and play, do they have experience with whichever system is be installed. 

Thanks.

It will be DCC only. Plug and play with my ECoS 50200

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe ask about the troubleshooting process after the layout is finished.

Is there some sort of "snagging" period after delivery before it's finally signed off and after which problems become your responsibility?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Let's use the key word: SPECIFICATION.

That has to form the basis of any contract. Do you - the customer - actually know what you want of the end product?

18 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

...What questions would you ask yourself on building your...layout?...

In addition to the structure and transport questions you have majored on, I would have a section on 'how well it works when in use as an operational layout' and specifically a handover based on proof of achievement of that performance.

What you plan to operate on the layout. For example, all RP25 wheels, loco and stock, coupler system(s).*

The layout plan: minimum radius of plain track and points, clearance required for the longest stock/minimum radius curve combination, defined gradient transitions.*

Expected operating reliability, both mechanical (doesn't derail, point actuation) and electrical.

Predelivery test plan based on above. (I would suggest defined proof testing with your stock, because at the end of the day that's what it will be working with.)

* Are you willing to take advice from the builder on these aspects in negotiating the contract? If the builder suggests that the performance specified either cannot be achieved, or alternatively cannot be guaranteed, due to aspects such as some of the proposed stock or minimum radius of the track etc. will you accept variation from the initial specification on that basis?

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:34, 40034_Nick said:

if someone would/is building a DCC layout for yourself. What questions what you ask him on visiting his workshop for the first time to see if he is the right person for the job ?

What questions would you ask yourself on building your fist layout.?

its an OO Gauge (Roundy Roundy) BR diesels. (Diesels and Rolling stock are all ready to go BTW).

You appear to be totally out of your comfort zone.

I suggest that you find a consultant who is able to come up with a specification based on a question and answer session with you.

They should then be able to come up with  a project outline plan that can form the basis of a contract.

They might even be able to suggest a suitable builder.

You could even get them to check the progress at various agreed intervals.

I would also find a Solicitor with a knowledge of model railways, just in case there is a problem.

I think that you are asking too much of people on a forum such as this.

People are usually willing to help, but in this case I think you need professional advice and that you should be willing to pay for it.

At the end of the day it will be a small part of the totally cost but will buy you certainty and peace of mind.

Bernard

• Like 1

I remember another chap who used to be on a forum somewhere, he used to build 'commissions' he was using secondhand track, extremely heavy baseboards and I was astounded he had satisfied customers.

I don't think he was out to defraud, just out of his depth for what it was he was trying to do.

Finding the right person to do the build can only be done through judicious questions, examples of finished work and recommendations.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Who is going to be operating the layout?

Do they have any experience of operating a model railway?

15 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

Me and Model club members

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

You're a model club who is commissioning a build?

Sounds strange to me, too.

After all, I'd have thought that most model clubs would normally regard building their own layouts as a core activity.

Occasionally, some clubs might take over an existing layout - but commissioning outsiders to build a club layout just doesn't sound right to me - especially when said layout sounds like little more than a loop of track.

All I know is that I don't think I'll be joining this club any time soon.

Nothing personal, you understand ... .

Huw.

5 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

You appear to be totally out of your comfort zone.

I suggest that you find a consultant who is able to come up with a specification based on a question and answer session with you.

They should then be able to come up with  a project outline plan that can form the basis of a contract.

They might even be able to suggest a suitable builder.

You could even get them to check the progress at various agreed intervals.

I would also find a Solicitor with a knowledge of model railways, just in case there is a problem.

I think that you are asking too much of people on a forum such as this.

People are usually willing to help, but in this case I think you need professional advice and that you should be willing to pay for it.

At the end of the day it will be a small part of the totally cost but will buy you certainty and peace of mind.

Bernard

I totally in my comfort zone... I know what layout i want but there might be things i have overlooked.. Thats why i am asking. Thanks :-)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Sounds strange to me, too.

After all, I'd have thought that most model clubs would normally regard building their own layouts as a core activity.

Occasionally, some clubs might take over an existing layout - but commissioning outsiders to build a club layout just doesn't sound right to me - especially when said layout sounds like little more than a loop of track.

All I know is that I don't think I'll be joining this club any time soon.

Nothing personal, you understand ... .

Huw.

No one said its for the model club.... It will be my own layout, it just so happens i am in a club with people that can run it when needed.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, 40034_Nick said:

No one said its for the model club.... It will be my own layout, it just so happens i am in a club with people that can run it when needed.

Then why not call on the skills of the model club for help.

Can they not go through stages of building a layout with you and guide you, a self built model railway is surely more satisfying than one who someone else built?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with woodentop, and..

Go visit as many local shows as possible, view the layouts, decide what Type of layout you want.

Are you commissioning or just asking the questions like you are commissioning?

Most peoples layouts are constrained by the rooms they are going to operate in and the transport they can carry it in (if required).  That gives you the layout maximum size.

You then need to decide on board sizes, it's very easy to buy baseboard kits, which just glue together if you don't have the carpentry skills.

There are plenty of videos and there is plenty of advice on here on how to build the actual layout, that's all part of the fun..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I can forsee several reasons why 40034_nick might want a layout built for himself like lack of time/space/experience or not enjoying the physical building elements, so I don’t think it unreasonable.

What does appear odd @40034_Nick is that some of the questions you’re considering seem ‘misplaced’ (is the best word I can think of) if you’re already talking in detail with a potential builder. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Then why not call on the skills of the model club for help.

Can they not go through stages of building a layout with you and guide you, a self built model railway is surely more satisfying than one who someone else built?

Yes, that would be the way I would go, use their expertise.. 

But I know locally here in South Australia a "modeller"  who got another modeller to build his layout, gave him the size & very basic info & when it was finished, he couldn't run it easily as he didn't understand the control panel & when I asked him, "didn't you say to the builder what you wanted ? " . his answer " well he is modeller too so should know what I needed as aren't all layout controls the same? "

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1