Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

After being inspired by some superb layouts  and modelling on the rmweb I thought it was about time I started my own thread.

I can only hope that it reaches a standard worthy of being on here.

So some background information. As some of you maybe aware Bourton on the Water is situated in the Cotswolds and was once graced with a station and goods facilities.

It was part of the Banbury-Cheltenham railway but succumbed to the inevitable closure in October 1962 for passenger traffic.

I will in no way be able to recreate the track layout in O gauge but have had some of the structures built for me that were once there, namely the goods shed and signal box to date.

My intention therefore, was to keep the same name but the track layout would be radically different in so much as there would only be one platform, with station building, signal box, goods Shed and water tower, complete with a run round and kick back siding housing the goods shed. 

Once I have mastered how to upload pictures I will post some on here.

My two boards measure 143cm x 68cm each joined by locating pins and toggle catches.

I hasten to add this is my first venture in the senior scale and have only ever built a simple single line terminus in 4mm previously.

My next puzzle is the electrics and peco points....

• Like 5

Great subject for a model.   Ports to ports was a Mogul turn with 2 sets of stock 1 X GWR and 1 X LNER which passed at Kingham so both would pass Bourton within the hour. Gradients were 1 in 40 West of Bourton so trains were short, 6 coaches I think for ports to ports, which was too long to pass at Bourton, or anywhere else apart from the Kingham "Flyover".   

Ports to Ports was first Manor Turn after 1938, but was discontinued, during or after the war.

Locals were 45XX and part of Cheltenham - Gloucester local rosters pre war so 5 different engines per day  on 6 trains.

51XX / 41XX took over under BR.  94XX on goods. 

At one stage the Line saw 28XX and 72XX on short ironstone trains, 72XX pilot came off the front at Bourton to act as Banker to Notgrove, then back in front down to Andoversford.  

Thanks for the info, it was a fascinating line with interesting workings when the iron stone trains came through.

I unfortunately was born in 1961 so obviously cannot remember my journeys on the line.

No doubt you were aware of the 2-10-0 working through Bourton in 1962 on a special turn? 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since anything has happened until now. The rear scene has been extended to approximately 12” in height so will take a gaugemaster backscene.

Now have to adapt Peco points and thanks Andy Peters for your help and advice on how to go about it. Daunting for a numpty like me who has always been baffled by anything electric!