Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2020 at 21:43, daifly said:

There is a large variety of names - clearance bar, depression bar, fouling bar, locking bar and no doubt several others but they perform the function described above.

Dave

Is this the same as a facing point lock - another term I've heard - or is that a different thing again?

Edited by Hal Nail
Typo - facing pint sounds better tho.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Roof obviously just resting on top atm.

Be careful here! I've read its worth fixing asap as the veranda end frame is prone to being snapped off. To do that you need to fix the glazing so need to have painted round the windows. All minor but sufficient hassle, with the prospect of the handrails to come, that mine has never been started!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Is this the same as a facing point lock - another term I've heard - or is that a different thing again?

You might want to read through this thread

Dave

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/06/2020 at 21:15, Baggies1961 said:

Can anyone tell me what the rodding leads to in front of the point on the inside of the right track in the photo please and what does it do?

image.jpg

Just look how neat that ballast shoulder and cinder path beside it is.  Must be post about 1956 as Bourton Vale Secondary Modern School tennis courts are in shot and the school opened in 1956 I understand.  So many otherwise good steam age layouts spoiled by scruffy 2000s style ballast

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

The handrails are turning out to be a nightmare. Have asked peco for some extra wire to finish larger rail and they are sending me some which I am very thankful for.

The smaller rail holes are smaller than their counterparts opposite.

image.jpg

I mentioned on my Toad thread that better wire for main handrails is 0.9mm and 0.5mm for the door.

Wondering if Peco provided a template for shaping the handrails.  Parkside do but I think I had trouble with it not being accurate (too many photocopies of photocopies).

Something I found when building Parkside kits is that CA works very well to secure ABS plastic parts.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi David,

Id guessed around 1957 as you say the school was relatively brand new.

It was a fair few years before I graced my presence at the school September 1972 to be precise.

I vaguely remember the bridge the photo was taken from being demolished in 1973 ish.

11 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Unfortunately Peco have sent me two short lengths of wire which means it will need two solder joints :mad: so will take a trip to the localish model shop to see if they have some in stock.

Like I said before, go to Eileens Emporium for your wire (and many other) needs. 

https://eileensemporium.com/

I visited my "localish" hobby shop today for the first time in a long time.  I made the effort because I want to support them.  However, many of the things I wanted were out of stock.  Really, it is not worth driving 20 km in city traffic to a store only to come away empty handed.  I think I'll order on line from now on.

John

Hi John,It's about a 20 mile round trip to my nearest model shop.What I do is order what I want over the phone and then when it arrives,have a ride out to collect it and have a bit of a chat.Very obliging chap is Barry.

atb

Phil.

ps never come away empty handed,there's always some thing I need.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1