Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

Ha ha, one way to do it I guess.

I came home and about an hour ago placed an order with a shop in Edmonton Alberta (I'm in Montreal).  I just got an email to say it has shipped.

My shop told me they can't get to the US to pick up stock.  On my way home I thought I'd try another hobby shop, after braving even more traffic I arrived only to find they are shut on Mondays and Tuesdays.   I think I've had it.

John

Yorkshiremen tchhhh!  I like to have a good stock of various metals so I can adapt my models if need be.  0.9mm wire seems to be about the most commonly used in my case.  Same goes for plastic strip and sheet.  I so hate having to interrupt a model waiting for materials.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi,

I need to give Eileens a clue as to the gauge of wire thats required for the brake van hand rail, Brossard can you please help?

My thinking is that it should be 0.9mm wire (1/32").  There is a discussion in the Toad build thread.

John

8 hours ago, brossard said:

My thinking is that it should be 0.9mm wire (1/32").  There is a discussion in the Toad build thread.

John

Hmm. 0.9mm is equivalent to over 1.5" in 7mm! From 1913 on, the GW used 3/4" gas pipe (o.d.1 1/16") for handrails - which is a little over 0.6mm in 7mm scale. 

Dave

• Like 1

16 hours ago, daifly said:

Hmm. 0.9mm is equivalent to over 1.5" in 7mm! From 1913 on, the GW used 3/4" gas pipe (o.d.1 1/16") for handrails - which is a little over 0.6mm in 7mm scale. 

Dave

From my Toad build thread:

"I just measured the wire I am using (from a pack labelled 0.032") with digital caliper and it comes out at 0.6 - 0.7mm, so I think I'm OK, but now puzzled by the wire."

John

Julian, Yours looks fine in the pics mate, I'd have been more than pleased with that result. I had the same problem with Peco Toad, in the end I gave it to Charlie King an O Gauge Builder to do for me, and he did a superb job, so well worth a few bob to get it looking right.

• Thanks 1

I'm building a lot of kits for friends, including the Parkside Toad.  I really like kits and appreciate the opportunity to build stock that I wouldn't normally do for myself.  The only problem is I'm too nice to charge for the service.  :senile:

John

Edited by brossard

1 hour ago, Baggies1961 said:

I can appreciate what goes into building these kits John I struggle to see and my soldering is basic to say the least!

You can still be nice and charge for your time etc.

Soldering comes with practice and experience.  No-one is born with soldering expertise.

I did get some kit built models given to me some time ago.  They were badly done and I totally rebuilt them.  I did manage to sell these.

My friends do stuff for me so I reckon it's a quid pro quo.

John

• Agree 1