Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Just this minute received the Dapol VEA’s a tad disappointed to say the least

The Slaters vans come out very well in comparison, with subtle detailing, which is remarkable given their age I think. Getting a chassis running anything like as well as Dapols takes a bit of work though!

• Agree 1

I am trying to fit some of them to a slaters 12T van and finding I need a third hand. I have given up for now so the wife cvan help. The underframe trusses on the van are getting in the way

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, pwr said:

I am trying to fit some of them to a slaters 12T van and finding I need a third hand. I have given up for now so the wife cvan help. The underframe trusses on the van are getting in the way

Paul R

i cut a slot in a pair of “spoon” type tweezers to compress the spring over the shaft, which allows me a free hand and pliers to put the pin in

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, 47606odin said:

i cut a slot in a pair of “spoon” type tweezers to compress the spring over the shaft, which allows me a free hand and pliers to put the pin in

Sounds a great idea Ian, have you got a photo of the said “spoon pliers please, I am quite proud of myself I only uttered one profanity when spring went walkabout!!

• 3 weeks later...

Called in to York Monk Bar Models today and came out poorer.

Good selection of O Gauge kits, Dapol, Scene craft, they dont sell Heljan.

Added another VEA van in grey to add to the MOD train, there is an interesting article in the latest Traction magazine on MOD trains.

Also last night fixed my manual point changing dowel which I had managed to snag my trouser pocket on and pull the pin from the dowel out of the point.

image.jpg

• Like 5

On 20/01/2022 at 10:08, Baggies1961 said:

Well they are more than fiddly! Spring launched and pin so small I cant see hole :DIn now and secured.

image.jpg

A dodge I have used to get a pin in the coupling is to forget the split pin.  Far too fiddly.  Instead, I get a piece of 0.9mm wire bent 90 deg. with a long tail.  I can grab and manipulate the tail easily.  I use curved tweezers to push the spring on and clear the hole.  The short end of the wire goes in easily.  Secure with CA glue.  Trim the wire when the glue is set.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Can anyone please point me in the direction of some container kits, Buzz models did them I believe, but on their web site it says not available.

Cheers

Julian.

I tried to find some too. I heard Skytrex had some but I have resorted to scratchbuilding although I have yet to finish one.

If you are not worried about relief, you can download the scalescenes version and blow them up 175% and make them out of card.

You other option is to 3D print them wich means either designing them yourself or seeing if there is a downloadable file out there. I've certainly not seen anything on the Shapeways site.

I hope that helps

Paul R