Trackside

DMU

Afternoon all,

Over the next couple of months I hope to produce a single track diorama 24cms x 10cms. This will be based around modern track workers laying cable trunking and relay boxes, the items I will be using are:

Peco setrack

Relay boxes

Trunking

Security fencing

Shrubs

Grass

Trackside workers

Edited by DMU
Change in theme
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Not a silly question at all, it happens to be a many talked about question.

Personally I always glue my track with copydex, can be taken up and dries quickly.

Thanks Oncomin5torm for your reply to my question..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DMU said:

Yesterday I managed to get the length of track glued to my diorama board, which has had time to dry properly over night. 

I have a question is sleeper grime the paint to use on the rail sides and sleepers.

I have used sleeper grime but really grab a couple of cheap pots of acrylic from a shop and mix your own together, doesnt have to be perfect as in reality the rails were different shades of mucky depending on what kind of traction ran over it, what location it was in and general life going on near by, sleeper grim is a decent colour dont get me wrong but if working to a budget the railmatch colours are not cost effective.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi my Trackside diorama has had some more work carried out this morning. It’s my first time using cardboard covered with paper mache, which I think has turned out well;). This will be left to dry before painting on a base coat.

Base coat has been painted to the area which will have static grass and weeds, the rail sides have been painted an oily colour and rust will be added to the sleeper chairs. The line which you can see is where the trunking will be and beyond this will be two relay boxes, security fence, skip and some trackside workers.

Next week will see me purchase the items I need to start building my diorama.

9C2B0F17-FF5D-45B8-9DB8-710395FBF139.jpeg.691d4855c55c4462ce474c6e1ce51dbe.jpeg

Edited by DMU
  • Like 4

Afternoon I have completed laying the cable trunking to my diorama and have weathered up the trunking. I am pleased with the way it looks, I expected delivery of the relay boxes today but no joy:mellow:

So I have uploaded a picture of latest work.

4266378C-9C9B-41AC-A607-C46C25449E01.jpeg.3369c9221212d02add6ff4016588ac4b.jpeg

• Like 3

Last night I built the Wills relay box kits, this morning the relay boxes have been painted and weathered. Then finally glued in place. I’m happy with the way my diorama is starting to look.

Monday I will order some ballast and static grass to start laying down the ground cover. A little picture of my work so far.

2FA56CF4-FD49-494B-8B51-12D489E44AA9.jpeg.cfe896d25f77dce2b213690aaf6610a4.jpeg20BA8BA9-64A1-4CAC-A06E-5609E34BFD1B.jpeg.4aa3c882cce3d5eb47912ea8ceb41dea.jpeg

• Like 4