Removing Decals from Lima Locos

cambo74

It sounds like you are using a cotton bud and covering too large an area, I find the best method is a cocktail stick which has been sat in T cut and carefully used so it only contacts the actual numbers is best, okay its a bit slow and tedious but the effects can be quite good. The paint on Lima locos is very thin.

Just get some Sellotape put it on the numbers then rub with a cocktail stick . Now remove the Sellotape the numbers will come off as well. Job done with NO paint damage. I've done a few class 73's and 33's this way.

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, crompton 33 said:

Just get some Sellotape put it on the numbers then rub with a cocktail stick . Now remove the Sellotape the numbers will come off as well. Job done with NO paint damage. I've done a few class 73's and 33's this way.

Really ??? I like this idea .... got 10 to do so the quicker the easier .......

I'll let you know how i get on .....

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/09/2019 at 06:44, Wheatley said:

Lima paint is so easy to get off (meths will do it) that almost any solvent will wreck it. If sellotape doesn't work it's a repaint. 

Lima models have got to be the easiest to strip back to the base moulding - the paint just rinses off in meths to reveal a pristine moulding.

I upgraded dozens of Lima Mk.1s a few years ago, and preparing them for repainting was a dream.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, saxokid said:

I use white spirits or brasso on cotton buds for gently removing loco decals...:senile:

without messing up paint work...

Have you done that on Lima locos?

The paint is so thin if you use any sort of solvent it usually washes the paint off around the decals leaving them in place.

23 hours ago, royaloak said:

Have you done that on Lima locos?

The paint is so thin if you use any sort of solvent it usually washes the paint off around the decals leaving them in place.

Ive done the above on Lima class 31"s and 47s for people in the past.