Calne Model Rail Show - 18 & 19 January 2020

Geoff Endacott

The Calne show is on the move - temporarily. Building work means that the usual venue, Calne Leisure Centre, will not be available. The show is therefore moving to:

Beversbrook Sports Facility, Beversbrook Road, Calne, Wilts., SN11 9FL.

Saturday 18th January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Sunday 19th January 10.00 am - 4.30 pm

This will be a smaller show than usual due to the limited space at Beversbrook. There will probably be ten layouts and six trade stands. Admission prices have been reduced accordingly.

The layouts booked to attend are:

Box Station (N): Morris Stallard

Digby South Quay (HO): Richard Smith

Fanniston (N): Andy Whittaker

Grunow (TT): Richard Self

Hounslow Sidings (OO): Ray Norwood

Launceston Steam Railway (OO9): Richard & Linda Holder

Morfa Mawr (EM): Bentley MRG

Sutherland Street (N): Michael Holmes

Wood Street (O): Swindon MRC

Zweinuck (HO): Eric Bird

Trade:

Andy Lynch

Brunswick Railways

David Smith Books

Frome Model Centre

Ron Lines

Squires Model & Craft Tools

Other:

Train Rides

Adult: £4.00, Child: £2.00, Group (2+3): £10.00.

www.calnemrs.org.uk 

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

18th - 19th January 2020, saw the Bentley Model Railway (Railroad) Group host their annual Model Railway Exhibition. This years show was held at the Beversbrook Sports Facility, due to ongoing work on the usual venue, with 11 amazing model railways in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as a good selection of Trade Stands in attendance.
Hope you enjoy!

• Agree 1

I went anyway. With my Son and Father in Law.  It was a good show, bit downsized compared to usual.  Wide variety of scales gauges and standards of running.  Box and the Launceston Narrow gauge were really good,    It was just about all over by 3.30 Sunday.  Bought some useless stuff I will never get round to using and didn't buy some stuff I should have bought.  

• RMweb Gold

Popped in Sunday to offer moral support to Taigatrommel and meet up with old school alumni Digby. Like David completely mismanage my purchases - left wallet at home so just stocked up at Squires. Excellent friendly show , Digby was particularly impressed by one layout....

Had some excellent woffle too, particularly enjoyed Hounslow Sidings and Morfa Mawr .

F3A79CDC-69B9-4CD8-89A0-1A00380D840E.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Agree 1

I'd agree with Cuckoo's highlights, and the standard of the layouts was good all round.  From an exhibiting perspective, I'd be very happy to display at a Bentley MRG show again, they're a really friendly and helpful group.  I enjoyed plenty of pleasant, informed conversation about many aspects of our hobby over the weekend, and had no problem with having help when needed.  It also seemed to be an exhibition which attracts a family audience, exactly what's needed to keep bringing newcomers to our hobby.  I was genuinely touched by how interested many found Grünow engaging, which even from a charitable perspective is just an animated diorama.  It was especially pleasing to have a girl of around 11 or 12 (pure guess age wise!) showing real interest and understanding about the automation of my trains and the moving road vehicles - we don't have to be an old boys' club.

Edited by Taigatrommel