Class 59 (?) spotted

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

As one drives northwards from Chartres towards the Channel ports (Le Havre for us yesterday) one passes one of the few sites where an active grain silo is still rail served. It is on a single-track secondary line but, interestingly, also right alongside the LGV line.

Approaching yesterday, I could see the usual mix of grain hopper wagons in various liveries. It was only as we got much closer that I noticed an EMD loco in quite the most drab green livery that I have ever seen. Anyone know its history and current ownership/use? I could not see any sign of an operator's name or even a number - just a wall of camouflage green. Perhaps they got  a job lot of paint from an army depot?

Ah, that will be Axereal Bois de St Pierre beside the N154 just south of Allonnes?

Can't comment on the 59/66, but they also have a little Y2200 which I photographed around 4 years ago. The same line west of Voves, where the grain silos are also in use, reaches Fains la Folie, where there is yet another Y2200/Y2400, which I intend to photograph if I get chance.

The one at your silo can just be seen on oogle earth beneath the nearest silo: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.321642,1.6686202,3a,15y,359.71h,87.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfUViasUbTzI_9lmzcMKwew!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Interestingly, your silo is close to a little village called Demainville, literally, "Tomorrow-town".