FREMO UK group looking for a telecoms expert

readingtype

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The UK FREMO group are looking for some telecoms expertise in connection with our upcoming meeting (this will be H0, based on German branchline practice, set in Epoch III/IV).

If you are a telecoms engineer or have relevant experience and you would be willing to give some guidance on setting up a small (5-10 extensions) network, we would like to hear from you. Please send me a private message if you are interested.

More info on the FREMO standard we work to: https://www.fremo-net.eu/en/modular-systems/h0-scale/h0-europe/

Thanks

Ben

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old subject and probably has been solved but:-

It is possible to run a small software PBX using a RaspberryPi and Freeswitch as a VoIP application. I do this over my internal house network. For extensions, it is possible to use standard smartphones with a suitable 'free' SIP protocol app. Freeswitch and mobile phone apps are licensed but can be used freely for non-commercial applications. Apart from the server and mobile phones, a WiFi router would be required to act as a network hub. There are also fixed SIP protocol phones available though that would significantly increase the cost. OK that isn't very Plain Old Telephone system with Uniseletors clicking and clattering (needing regular maintenance with relays feeler gauges) and thus not mid 20th century technology..... :D

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

@apemberton Thanks.Yes, we did manage to discover a smallish solid-state PBX in the end and this is working well. I have struggled in the past with software PBX. Looks brilliant but I found it was too easy to get utterly bamboozled by the options!

Ben

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, apemberton said:

I know this is an old subject and probably has been solved but:-

It is possible to run a small software PBX using a RaspberryPi and Freeswitch as a VoIP application. I do this over my internal house network. For extensions, it is possible to use standard smartphones with a suitable 'free' SIP protocol app. Freeswitch and mobile phone apps are licensed but can be used freely for non-commercial applications. Apart from the server and mobile phones, a WiFi router would be required to act as a network hub. There are also fixed SIP protocol phones available though that would significantly increase the cost. OK that isn't very Plain Old Telephone system with Uniseletors clicking and clattering (needing regular maintenance with relays feeler gauges) and thus not mid 20th century technology..... :D

Tony

My UAX12 is probably a bit too big to take to exhibitions.... But you would get the full clockwork experience!

Andy g

• Like 1