Excellent service from Hattons

ikcdab

A week ago I saw a "Caledonian" train pack with "King George VI" super detail loco and three Mk1 coaches on the pre-owned section.  The images simply showed the packaging exterior and an image showing the contents wrapped in tissue paper.  Sale price ex-VAT was GBP100.00.  Airmail postage downunder was GBP13.00.    I decided to take a chance as the description was basic and the images did not actually show the content condition as the items were wrapped.  Barely a week later the goods were at my door.  The pack was from 2003 and in fact was brand new with the contents never having been removed, with the tiny pieces of styrofoam packaging still in place.  It was like a time capsule.  The pack was extremely well packaged.  Full kudos  to Hattons for excellent pricing and service.   A couple of weeks ago I received an as new Bachmann "Shakespeare Express" described as loco was an inconsistent runner.  The pack arrived within days as the package size required a courier rather than Royal Mail.  The pack was basically new and the loco ran perfectly.  Another gem for a low price.

There are still bargains to be had on the Hattons pre-owned site.  I have seen prices rise dramatically the last 18 months on pre-owned items,  but occasionally gems do appear.  On Saturday,  listed under the search heading "train pack",  was the A4 loco "Andrew K McCosh" from the Hornby R2435 "The Northumbrian" train pack.    This is a DCC ready super detailed model with the reversing rod separated from the model (to be refitted) and the front lower cowl slightly adrift (I can see a little light shining through where the cowl adjoins the front "buffer beam").   The price for this gem GBP48.00  (GBP40.00 after VAT discount).  With just GBP9.00 shipping I think that this would be a bargain buy.  As usual with all my purchases from Hattons,  they get my gold star approval for service and quality.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I previously commented in this thread on excellent service from Hatton’s with respect to a very small item.  This time it’s to give them due credit for excellent service with regards to pre-owned items.

Pre-owned trading can be quite a lottery (however it is done - whether through a retailer, privately or via an auction website), but today I took delivery of a number of items from Hattons, each one pre-owned and in absolutely perfect condition: they could all pass as brand new from what I could tell!  A pre-owned locomotive I bought was very reasonably priced for an item that is ‘as new’ and first impressions on a quick test run this evening are excellent (to the extent I’m not sure I dare let my other locomotives see this one in action, it’s that good!).  Given that my order was only placed yesterday, the delivery service was also top drawer (via DPD).

I’ve also done some trading through Hattons recently, which was again very efficiently handled (with good valuations), and although I did have to return one locomotive I bought previously, the refund was processed instantly and without fuss.  When I’ve had questions about pre-owned products I’ve been looking at, these too have been very well dealt with, so it’s only fair I should acknowledge the excellent all round Customer Service I’ve been receiving.  Totally stress free and enjoyable.  Well done, Keith.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I realise I’ve commented a couple of times before on this thread (about different things each time) so I should confirm I am simply a locally based customer with no other connection to Hattons.  

I often read discussions on RMweb about the ‘traditional model shop experience’ so I feel my experience yesterday is worth acknowledging.  I had occasion to call in to Hattons’ store with some items I’m trading in.  I was greeted politely and promptly by the team member in the shop, and while there I took the opportunity to ask about some pre-owned American HO locomotives.  The staff member was very helpful, and readily went into the warehouse to bring out items I was interested in (twice).  They took the trouble to unpack them and test them for me, as well as giving me some helpful advice on a DCC / DC question I had (even though I had to ask them to explain it to me more than once as it’s just not my field).

Not only were the items all in exceptionally good condition, the service was personable and well worth noting - I was even given freedom to take my time and see two of the locos run again on the shop test track before deciding which one to buy.

My only mistake was not noting the name of the person behind the counter, but when I left I’d definitely say I’d had an enjoyable and totally positive in-store experience.  As well as getting a bargain.

While Hattons’ current location isn’t the easiest to get to without a car, and the display area is now quite small, I did note the “Bargain bins” were full of interesting and well packed items for in-store customers, so that aspect of in-person shopping is being catered for.  All in all a good trip, thank you.  Keith.

• Like 5

I always have excellent shipping service with Hatton's. Even with the mail strikes, my latest order arrived here in the U.S. in just eight days and for an international shipping price that's the same that it costs me to mail much smaller packages just one state away. Everything carefully packed, no breakages. More than I can say for Rails of Sheffield, where my order arrived in a flimsy box covered with a black bag and looked like an elephant sat on it with severe damage to the item -- and for three times Hatton's shipping price!

• Like 1

I’d just like to add another commendation towards Hattons and their service.

International order placed late on the 25th October and safely delivered earlier on today to Western Australia. Item exactly as described, well packaged and delivered intact. 

As with previous deliveries, perfect international transaction. Well done to all concerned.

• Like 2

On 24/10/2022 at 17:19, Colin_McLeod said:

I had technical problems placing an order and Christoff sorted everything out for me by phone yesterday.

Thanks again Christoff and Hattons.

Snap!

Not by phone though, by the little "help"/ask a question box. Handy for those that aren't great on the phone or would prefer to do things online.

Jason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Full kudos to Hattons staff for attention to detail in packing my two Hornby Tri-ang commemorative "The Victorian" trainsets.    I assumed that the store would simply sticky tape the Hornby shipping packages together as a single package,  however, they protected even the original Hornby shipping packages and shipped in a large box lined with copious quantities of bubble wrap.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2023 at 15:42, Andy Healey said:

Whilst excellent service from Hattons, their Packaging is ridiculous, 2 Packs of Tiny Signs delivered in a Largish Box with Bubble wrap when a small Jiffy bag would have done, not really Green.20230312_162807.jpg.6fbe3e9b285d893cdc0a749aa5931ae7.jpg

Depends on what you do with it, I suppose. I recycle the cardboard boxes and keep the bubble wrap for other packages I might be sending though the mail (and I still end up needing more). So at least on my end, it all gets recycled/repurposed.

Edited by MattR
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to place not one, but two incorrect, duplicate orders today!

Credit where credit is due, I received excellent service from Hattons to rectify the issue.

Now, if only the service from Avanti Trains, who I was travelling with at the time, was as efficient!

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, top job from Hattons. I "wishlisted" two items a few weeks ago. Tuesday I had an email advising they now had examples of these items in their second hand section. Call placed, items purchased and they've just been delivered. 

Exactly as described, well priced, well packed, well happy. 

Rob

• Like 7