Class 08 book suggestion?

thx712517

I'm looking for a book or books that go into depth on the BR Class 08 diesel shunter. Something like GWR Pannier Tanks by Robin Jones that discusses design, construction, operation, modifications over time, and operation in preservation. I'm in the US so nothing on the shelves her I can flip through to judge before buying. 

• RMweb Premium

HI,

I'm not aware of a book on the class, but the following may be of help:

Colin Marden's book on diesel shunters is good for the whole development and origin of the 08s (as well as the other shunter classes),  Published by OPC. (Make sure you look for the version with the green dust jacket as the brown one is earlier and has much less content.)  Currently out of print but available through Amazon, etc.

• ISBN-10: 0860935795
  • ISBN-13: 978-0860935797

The other one to look at is the relevant edition of 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' that covers the class 08 and 09.

There are other books on the market but these are the best that I can think of.

Hope it's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

In addition to the above, although the following covers a wider range of BR (and its predecessors) shunters, it does have a section on the 08s.

IMG_4857.JPG.80ba72de18130807863feebc847a6983.JPG

It was first published in 1984 and is well out of print, so well known auction sites are probably your best bet if it could be of interest to you.

ISBN 0 7110 1449 3

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The background is also dealt with in the RCTS book LMS diesels. Again out of print, but available from places like ABEbooks...

Funnily enough I ended up buying an edition that once belonged to a certain person on here.....

Andy G

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve Jordan's two books on shunters are excellent,

BR Standard Diesel Electric Shunters in Colour ISBN 0-9541404-0-0

The Liveries of the BR Standard Diesel Electric Shunters in Colour ISBN 0-9541404-1-9

Kevin Derrick's Looking back at Shunters II, The British Railway Workshops ISBN 978-1-905276-93-6 is also good.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And let's not forget an absolutely superb book, more detailed information than you could shake a stick at, scale drawings, extensive photography and a full history. Actually not quite an 08, but the very similar locomotive which was its immediate antecedent, which went on into relatively late BR operation (lumped together with the 08s) and several of which carry on in one guise or another:

LMS Locomotive Pofiles No 12 The Diesel Electric Shunters by David Hunt and John Jennison, published by Wild Swan at £19.95

Available here

Simon

How technical is that final book, and how much development/design history does it include?

I’ve got the RCTS one, and it’s OK, but not really “in the weeds” regarding LMS thinking during the development phase.

I’m an engineer, so have an appetite for the techs stuff more than things like where the lamp irons got moved to, or the size of the lettering.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

How technical is that final book, and how much development/design history does it include?

I’ve got the RCTS one, and it’s OK, but not really “in the weeds” regarding LMS thinking during the development phase.

I’m an engineer, so have an appetite for the techs stuff more than things like where the lamp irons got moved to, or the size of the lettering.

Pretty technical, includes several GA drawings on pull out sheets, pipe arrangements, drawings of engines, and an extensive text.

Simon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 25901 said:

Class 08/09 Locomotives by Andrew Cole (ISBN: 9781445666235)

9781445666235.jpg

I saw that in my initial searching, but from what I could see of the inside of the book it's photographs of particular engines. I'm looking for something more meat and potatoes, getting into the design process, why they made the decisions they did, how they performed in traffic, the introduction of the 09 variant, things like that. 

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Pretty technical, includes several GA drawings on pull out sheets, pipe arrangements, drawings of engines, and an extensive text.

Simon

It is a lovely book.

The LMS 350s/Jockos/Pilots or what ever name are mechanically very similar to the class 08s. There are more visual differences between the two classes than there is between a Saint and a Grange once you start to study the two classes.

It is a book I would recommend to anyone modelling a LMS shunter. For its technical and historical content it is worth buying. For a guide to modelling BR standard shunters, classes 08, 09 and 10 it might not be so helpful.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/09/2019 at 13:19, 4630 said:

In addition to the above, although the following covers a wider range of BR (and its predecessors) shunters, it does have a section on the 08s.

IMG_4857.JPG.80ba72de18130807863feebc847a6983.JPG

It was first published in 1984 and is well out of print, so well known auction sites are probably your best bet if it could be of interest to you.

ISBN 0 7110 1449 3

Places selling it list 80 pages, but I've not been able to find a table of contents. How many pages are spent on the 08?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, thx712517 said:

Places selling it list 80 pages, but I've not been able to find a table of contents. How many pages are spent on the 08?

There are separate pages covering each of the diesel shunters inherited by BR at nationalisation and the subsequent builds of the various diesel-mechanical, diesel-hydraulic and diesel-electric types.

Most types are covered in a couple of pages but the class 08 merits six pages.  Those pages include a couple of small general arrangement drawings, a brief write up of the development of the 08s and 12 black and white photos.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2019 at 12:55, Alex TM said:

HI,

I'm not aware of a book on the class, but the following may be of help:

Colin Marden's book on diesel shunters is good for the whole development and origin of the 08s (as well as the other shunter classes),  Published by OPC. (Make sure you look for the version with the green dust jacket as the brown one is earlier and has much less content.)  Currently out of print but available through Amazon, etc.

• ISBN-10: 0860935795
  • ISBN-13: 978-0860935797

The other one to look at is the relevant edition of 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' that covers the class 08 and 09.

There are other books on the market but these are the best that I can think of.

Hope it's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

I know it's been a while, but would you say it's worth $75? Are you able to share a picture of the contents page?

Slightly OT, but on the strength of recommendations above, I ordered the Loco Profile about the LMS shunters, and it is very good indeed, worth buying even if you already have the RCTS one covering similar ground ....... you almost need both because each has different strengths.

1 hour ago, thx712517 said:

I know it's been a while, but would you say it's worth $75? Are you able to share a picture of the contents page?

No. Unless you need it tomorrow for some reason and have bags of money.

Keep looking and you'll find it for about £15 to £20. Or about £5 to £10 for the brown version.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Worth $75?  If we're talking Australian dollars then it's not too overpriced, as the current exchange calculator makes that slightly over £40.  Most of the time I see it going for £25-£35 (excluding postage).  In part it depends what it's worth to you.  I would agree with Jason, and not pay more than £10 for the brown cover version.

As for the contents page, my apologies for the poor quality of the image.  The scanner has died, and the replacement is till sealed in its box.

Hope this helps.

Marsden_Shunters_Contents.JPG.3a5044e05bcfd989736054624d88df5e.JPG

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2019 at 15:36, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

Worth $75?  If we're talking Australian dollars then it's not too overpriced, as the current exchange calculator makes that slightly over £40.  Most of the time I see it going for £25-£35 (excluding postage).  In part it depends what it's worth to you.  I would agree with Jason, and not pay more than £10 for the brown cover version.

As for the contents page, my apologies for the poor quality of the image.  The scanner has died, and the replacement is till sealed in its box.

Hope this helps.

Marsden_Shunters_Contents.JPG.3a5044e05bcfd989736054624d88df5e.JPG

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks for the photo. Bought the book and I've been enjoying all the weird and wild locomotives BR experimented with.