09 Synolda and Colossus

Jason Pape

I would love to model Synolda or Colossus in 09 but I don’t know if there are kits available. Synolda would make a great model and Colossus would be interesting too because she was Englands second 4-6-2 and a replica is being built too! I have always been a fan of early minimum gauge locomotives as they look very simple and uncluttered. If possible I’d also like a model of Katie, Ursula and Effie as I really like Arthur Haywood's designs. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Katie, Ursula and Effie are easier, I have built them [for Irton Rd]. The problem with the Basset Lowke/Greenly scale model designs is that the wheel standards and clearances are much finer than N gauge. A 2mm finescale GNR C2 4-4-2 would be a start for Synolda. Strangely there is no N gauge RTR Atlantic I know of unless there is a Continental one.   Maybe a Dapol 'Manor' 4-6-0 would be a start for 'Colossus' with a ponie truck and bogie tender chassis.

Good luck or try 12mm/ft and 16.5mm gauge track & chassis! 

• Like 1

I started a model of a class 30, then sold it on in partly built state to another modeller who finished it off better than I could've done.

A minitrix pacific chassis block is spot on for dimensions if you cut it down and use the outer 2 pairs of wheels (the centre wheelset is smaller diameter). I bought chimney, dome, slidebars, buffers  and cross heads from n brass, plastic tube for the boiler. I had remotored the chassis with a nigel Lawton motor that fitted within the boiler barrel, but it ran pretty hot. Tim removed it and stuck a kato chassis beneath a bogie tender to make count Louis.

BLClass30_003.jpg

I'm only responsible for the chassis and getting together the kit of parts - Tim Ellis built all the good bits. I haven't seen a better model of a class 30 though.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Brack that is a gorgous model indeed. I have been tempted to look at doing a 15" Gauge line using the drawings from the 7mm NG booklet for some of the engines. I am thinking that it really would be a case of honing my rough skills before attempting something like that. I used to volunteer on the Ratty many many years ago and so it'll always have a special place in my heart even if it is rare I get to go there even just for a ride out.

• Like 2

Like I say, not my model, I had the chassis sorted, the boiler and all the fittings, then sold it to tim ellis who finished it off, so I can't claim much credit. The approach worked though, and the minitrix pacific is fairly cheap to find and robust and easy enough to hack about. I wouldnt have wanted to buy a brand new farish chassis then take a saw to it!

• Like 3

On 21/09/2019 at 08:42, brack said:

I started a model of a class 30, then sold it on in partly built state to another modeller who finished it off better than I could've done.

A minitrix pacific chassis block is spot on for dimensions if you cut it down and use the outer 2 pairs of wheels (the centre wheelset is smaller diameter). I bought chimney, dome, slidebars, buffers  and cross heads from n brass, plastic tube for the boiler. I had remotored the chassis with a nigel Lawton motor that fitted within the boiler barrel, but it ran pretty hot. Tim removed it and stuck a kato chassis beneath a bogie tender to make count Louis.

BLClass30_003.jpg

I'm only responsible for the chassis and getting together the kit of parts - Tim Ellis built all the good bits. I haven't seen a better model of a class 30 though.

This model is gorgeous I wish I could make a model based on Synolda but with a smokebox door based on Count Louis. I would paint the locomotive sky blue with white and yellow lining which is the livery of my 09 railway the Foxwood estate railway.

On 20/09/2019 at 23:41, Dava said:

Katie, Ursula and Effie are easier, I have built them [for Irton Rd]. The problem with the Basset Lowke/Greenly scale model designs is that the wheel standards and clearances are much finer than N gauge. A 2mm finescale GNR C2 4-4-2 would be a start for Synolda. Strangely there is no N gauge RTR Atlantic I know of unless there is a Continental one.   Maybe a Dapol 'Manor' 4-6-0 would be a start for 'Colossus' with a ponie truck and bogie tender chassis.

Good luck or try 12mm/ft and 16.5mm gauge track & chassis! 

Thank you Dava

Irton Road was a great model, I’d love to model a locomotive based on Synolda but I’m not very skilled at making locomotives. I’m amazed that there isn’t a N gauge atlantic yet as they’re available in 00. I love Heywood locomotives and hopefully I’ll have a few on my layout and maybe a Synolda and Colossus one day too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the Minitrix Pacific chassis would work for 'Colossus' without major mods?

Or use a German Minitrix [is it an 01 or 03?] as the basis for one of the Krauss miniature fairground locos from the 1930s? Like 'Black Prince on the RH&DR, I'm sure it visited the Ratty. 

Dava

• Friendly/supportive 1

The minitrix pacific is bang on for the Krauss 15" Pacifics, I started work on a 3d printed kit (had even spoken to people at ravenglass about it), but was beaten to the punch by someone else (who I believe used a kato JNR pacific chassis), then I got ill, then we had another baby. so I gave up.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...
On 20/09/2019 at 22:50, Jason Pape said:

I would love to model Synolda or Colossus in 09 but I don’t know if there are kits available. Synolda would make a great model and Colossus would be interesting too because she was Englands second 4-6-2 and a replica is being built too! I have always been a fan of early minimum gauge locomotives as they look very simple and uncluttered. If possible I’d also like a model of Katie, Ursula and Effie as I really like Arthur Haywood's designs. 

N Drive productions will be producing an 09 katie for £95 in the fist half of next year also i know somethings happening with effie.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
On 27/09/2019 at 17:45, Dava said:

Maybe the Minitrix Pacific chassis would work for 'Colossus' without major mods?

Or use a German Minitrix [is it an 01 or 03?] as the basis for one of the Krauss miniature fairground locos from the 1930s? Like 'Black Prince on the RH&DR, I'm sure it visited the Ratty. 

Dava

That would be amazing Dava! I’m sorry for the extremely late reply. I would like to see the Evesham light Railway one day. Are the minitrix chassis still available? I would love to model Whillen Beck (is that the correct spelling) if I can too.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2019 at 18:08, brack said:

The minitrix pacific is bang on for the Krauss 15" Pacifics, I started work on a 3d printed kit (had even spoken to people at ravenglass about it), but was beaten to the punch by someone else (who I believe used a kato JNR pacific chassis), then I got ill, then we had another baby. so I gave up.

If you know anyone who will make a 3D print of a little giant like Synolda I would definitely buy at least 12!!

On 15/12/2019 at 15:50, MrJack47790 said:

N Drive productions will be producing an 09 katie for £95 in the fist half of next year also i know somethings happening with effie.

I would definitely be interested in a Katie but Effie would be amazing!! Do N-drive productions still make their kits? 

On 22/09/2019 at 16:32, brack said:

Like I say, not my model, I had the chassis sorted, the boiler and all the fittings, then sold it to tim ellis who finished it off, so I can't claim much credit. The approach worked though, and the minitrix pacific is fairly cheap to find and robust and easy enough to hack about. I wouldnt have wanted to buy a brand new farish chassis then take a saw to it!

I’m very sorry for the very late reply, I would love to make a model of this locomotive in 09 and I’m wondering do you have a 09 scale drawing of Count Louis? I would love to buy plans if I could. Your model has inspired me a lot and I’m finally going to take the plunge and build my 09 estate railway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jason Pape said:

I’m very sorry for the very late reply, I would love to make a model of this locomotive in 09 and I’m wondering do you have a 09 scale drawing of Count Louis? I would love to buy plans if I could. Your model has inspired me a lot and I’m finally going to take the plunge and build my 09 estate railway.

I have an RER book with a side & plan drawings of Sans Pareil 4-4-2 at 16.4mm scale! But can be resized digitally by trial & error.  Also some of the larger locos, from the era so accurate. PM me.

ELenora Steel's book on Henry Greenly has a drawing, also a Fairbourne book but I don't have either.

Dava 

On 26/06/2020 at 19:58, Jason Pape said:

I would definitely be interested in a Katie but Effie would be amazing!! Do N-drive productions still make their kits? 

I contacted them six mouths ago to enquire on katie-never asked about effie. i may suggest you contact them via the email on their website they will get back to you with a definitive answer. Also if you like haywood may i suggest a a look at minim gauge model who make some haywood coaches and heywood styled wagons. a combination of heywood locos from n drive and heywood rolling stock would give a good start  on an 09 estate railway,also if modern day you could look at something like eaton halls shunter converted from narrow gauge,also you seem to be particularly based around the ravenglass and eskdale minimum gauge models do basset lowke coaches what i believe use to run on lal rattey and would go welll with any basset lowke engine,also on this note there are some 3d printed ravenglass 09 stuff and for ravenglass stuff try avalon models-i unfortunatly can't say much on their information but i would reccomend serching around

https://www.n-driveproductions.com/contactus.htm

http://www.mgmodels.co.uk/store/c37/09.html

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KKVRSQMWN/o9-r-er-quot-lady-wakefield-quot-body-kit?li=marketplace&optionId=61108327

https://www.shapeways.com/product/STDHBGMJQ/r-er-icl-no-1-bunny?optionId=65730546&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RTD7958NB/r-er-arthur-heywood-ella-shelagh-or-ursula?optionId=65730258&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4KS6QVLJE/r-er-quot-river-mite-quot-o9-2-8-2-body?li=marketplace&optionId=63751465

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AATEYCHY7/r-er-quot-river-irt-quot-o9-0-8-2-body?optionId=63751463&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PDA3UME3A/r-er-quot-river-esk-quot-o9-2-8-2-body?optionId=56023543&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/keeneye?section=1%3A24+Scale+Models&s=0

Hope this helps you-Jack.

Edited by MrJack47790

On 26/06/2020 at 23:59, Dava said:

I have an RER book with a side & plan drawings of Sans Pareil 4-4-2 at 16.4mm scale! But can be resized digitally by trial & error.  Also some of the larger locos, from the era so accurate. PM me.

ELenora Steel's book on Henry Greenly has a drawing, also a Fairbourne book but I don't have either.

Dava 

Hi i have always wanted to build an 09 basset lowke class 10 either little giant as she is today or Rhyls prince Edward of wales booth as per toady-i don't suppose you have any advice,drawings and tips on making one -anything will be greatly appreciated, Jack.

10 hours ago, brack said:

The sutton miniature railway booklet has drawings of mighty atom in it (class 10).

Thanks for the information however mighty atom i know currently has a different style of tender to prince edward of wales and little giant so may differ.

Jack

Edited by MrJack47790

• 1 month later...

I’ve just received a copy of a book about the Sand Hutton railway, I’m hoping to build Synolda and Colossus one day! If there is enough demand I may cast the parts as a body and chassis kit when I make them, I have an interesting idea about motorising them without needing a Minitrix chassis too so watch this space.