Hastings DEMU Class 201,202,203 Detail Dimensions Needed

Ark Royal

Hi 

Does anyone one have dimensions to any feature, such as passenger windows, door widths and windows, on the sides of Hastings DEMU's. I have scaled mine from photographs but i am now trying to confirm these dimensions with actual dimensions taken from the real thing.

Any assistance will be invaluable.

Many Thanks in advance

Class 203 _1.jpg

Class 203 v2_ 2.jpg

Class 203 v2_3.jpg

Thanks for the response and positive feed back Muddy Waters

I have general dimensions and indeed used the dimensions in this book for the Trailer First Class Corridor Bulkhead positions, it was more the window dimensions and door window dimensions i needed. 

I can get them in 2020 via a HDL railtours but am keen to crack on.

I'm kicking myself now as i used to travel on these weekly in the late 70's early 80's up to London , avoiding slam door electics like the plague, but never once thought i'd want to build a scale model.... When scaling them from photos i couldnt get a consistent dimension due to photograph angles, which left me with this dilemma.

For any young railway enthusiast out there that may read this post, i urge you to take note and take down dimensions etc , you never know what you may want to do in the future .

Mark

Edited by Ark Royal
spelling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, anroar53 said:

Found this book to be really good, as it has 4mm scale drawings of all DMU/DEMU classes. As I modelled 2mm I had to halve all the measurements to make my models of the Hastings units.

SCAN0201.JPG.5bfb545430e214734a709800c93f2e27.JPG

0664.JPG.2d20c659d2c42d9d83935b26f189dc54.JPG

1150.JPG.361c17a2cb11a5577fd103fe6ccb95d8.JPG

Andy.

HI Andy

They look amazing and so does the layout. Do you have a layout thread?

Thanks again for all the replies

Wickham Green - hadn't thought of it like that and certainly worth further investigation.

Cracking job Andy , they certainly look the part, are they 3D printed, etched  or plastikard construction ? Like to see them in person , do you exhibit the layout ?

The book is out of print so the chances of finding one are slim i have added it to my list  :)

Mark

2 hours ago, Ark Royal said:

Thanks again for all the replies

Wickham Green - hadn't thought of it like that and certainly worth further investigation.

Cracking job Andy , they certainly look the part, are they 3D printed, etched  or plastikard construction ? Like to see them in person , do you exhibit the layout ?

The book is out of print so the chances of finding one are slim i have added it to my list  :)

Mark

The Hastings Units were all scratchbuilt from plasticard, with some Mark 1 cast carriage ends filed down to narrow profile, along with the roof sections which came from some B H Enterprise kits. The upper window quarter lights were made from etched brass ladders cut in half. They are powered by a Greenmax chassis. They are about 25 years old now, and once did the rounds on an Exhibition layout 'Redbury' during the late 1990s. At the moment the units make sporadic appearances on  my current layout, which unfortunately never leaves home, as it is built into my loft space.

My RMWeb blog has some pictures 

Or at https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Andy

11 hours ago, anroar53 said:

The Hastings Units were all scratchbuilt from plasticard, with some Mark 1 cast carriage ends filed down to narrow profile, along with the roof sections which came from some B H Enterprise kits. The upper window quarter lights were made from etched brass ladders cut in half. They are powered by a Greenmax chassis. They are about 25 years old now, and once did the rounds on an Exhibition layout 'Redbury' during the late 1990s. At the moment the units make sporadic appearances on  my current layout, which unfortunately never leaves home, as it is built into my loft space.

Well they don't look 25 years old and a testament to your skills  as a modeller and ingenuity  when it came to the quaterlight windows. 

11 hours ago, anroar53 said:

My RMWeb blog has some pictures 

Or at https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Andy

A plethera of quite stunning photography and modelling. Love the "North end of Watford Junction" and the canal scenes.

I'd never be out of my loft with a layout like that :clapping:

On 23/09/2019 at 12:44, Wickham Green said:

I'd guess door and window widths are exactly the same as any other Mk 1.

Both doors and windows are the same widths, but the window depths are only the same as Mk.1. Suburban stock, i.e. 2' - 9 5/8" deep. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/09/2019 at 11:16, Ceptic said:

Both doors and windows are the same widths, but the window depths are only the same as Mk.1. Suburban stock, i.e. 2' - 9 5/8" deep. 

Thanks to Wicckham Green and Ceptic. That's a step closer, much more Mk1 stock available to measure.

Ceptic I note from your posts a long while ago that you were doing some quite extensive work into measurements of stock. Was this in relation to a future publication ?

6 hours ago, Ark Royal said:

Thanks to Wickham Green and Ceptic. That's a step closer, much more Mk1 stock available to measure.

Ceptic : I note from your posts a long while ago that you were doing some quite extensive work into measurements of stock. Was this in relation to a future publication ?

'Fraid not, Ark Royal. The drawings were a continuation of existing work, drawn in connection with the development of etched brass kits. Some of these were converted to 2D digital (SketchUp) to assist Colin Parks' 4-CIG scratch-build topic. Prior to this, I did some art-work (in the 1980s) with the idea of building a Cl. 205/3-H 'Hampshire' Demu.  That's where the window depth dimensions came from. Then, of course, along came DC Kits and, latterly, Kernow / Bachmann.

On 28/09/2019 at 14:21, Ceptic said:

........... latterly, Kernow / Bachmann.

God Bless Him (Colin Parks) , A very talented man indeed and a loss to our fraternity. Wish i had some of his talent in plastikard construction

LMAO

Know that feeling rather well

Edited by Ark Royal
Missed Comment