On 10/11/2019 at 15:43, brumtb said:

Thank you for this useful info.  So it should be possible to produce a Standard No 2 by extending a Standard No 3 by 3mm (in 4mm scale)?

Tony

I don't know of any 4 mm scale std 3 boilers as a starting point.    The number 10 as JimC says had the same barrel but the outer cladding had an even taper,  despite the parallel section at the front rather like the Stanier LMS Boilers.   That means extending the 2251 boiler which had the same barrel isn't an option.   I don't think there was any visible difference between Bulldog with a Std 2 and one with  the Std 3 with the distance piece.  I believe the cladding was identical. 

Edit  From photos some early 1920s std 10s fitted to MSWJR 0-6-0s had a short taper and a short parallel section adjoining the smokebox, which messed up my plans to make one from a Mainline 2251 class.

I wonder if the early 2251s had the same cladding?

Edited by DavidCBroad

28 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I don't think there was any visible difference between Bulldog with a Std 2 and one with  the Std 3 with the distance piece.  I believe the cladding was identical.  

Photo G35 in RCTS part 7 shows 3306 Armorel with a standard 3 boiler, and you can definitely see that the smokebox is longer. The casing that covers the various pipes leading into the smokebox has moved back too.  So although the differences are subtle, they are visible. The boiler cladding appears to me (although the background and small size of the photo doesn't make it easy to judge) to have the small parallel section at the front, its not a single cone of cladding like the 2251s etc.

It surprises me that there aren't any enterprising souls 3d printing GW standard boilers sans fittings. I reckon you'd get a better result putting separate chimneys and safety valve covers on, and given a range of standard boilers all sorts of plastic bashing is made much easier.

Edited by JimC
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2019 at 13:03, DavidCBroad said:

I don't know of any 4 mm scale std 3 boilers as a starting point.    The number 10 as JimC says had the same barrel but the outer cladding had an even taper,  despite the parallel section at the front rather like the Stanier LMS Boilers.   That means extending the 2251 boiler which had the same barrel isn't an option.   I don't think there was any visible difference between Bulldog with a Std 2 and one with  the Std 3 with the distance piece.  I believe the cladding was identical.  

That's a shame, that's where my thoughts were going.

Back to the drawing board!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got my bodged Bulldog complete, with the Bachmann Earl chassis and my own 3d printed loco body

p3717003047-6.jpg

p3717003049-6.jpg

p3717003051-6.jpg

The smokebox saddle joint to the chassis and the bit infront is a bit of mess, the latter as the 3d printed bits were too fragile so this was bodged with some plasticard. That apart I'm pretty content with the result.

In due course Sir Arthur Yorke will get a heavy does of weathering to suit rather run down post war condition as seen in these pictures https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/bulldog/hA0FF5B85#ha0ff5b85 and https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Steam-Engine-Photo-GWR-Dean-Designed-4-4-0-Locomotive-No-3418-Sir-Arthur-Yorke-/183942427144?hash=item2ad3d2b208, the freight turn in the latter picture likely what I have in mind for eventual run in timetable on layout.

All the prototype discussion in this thread has been most informative.

All the best

Jon

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 year later...