RHTT 2019 season

Evening all, 

I wondered if anybody might be able to help me identify the pair of 20s I saw this morning on a RHTT service just east of Kiverton Bridge, headed towards Worksop at 0925, please?  The lead engine at the Worksop end was in Harry Needle Orange; I couldn't  honestly tell what  colour the loco on the back was!  Grateful for any help, please. Many thanks.

Edited by Grampus
typos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Grampus said:

Evening all, 

I wondered if anybody might be able to help me identify the pair of 20s I saw this morning on a RHTT service just east of Kiverton Bridge, headed towards Worksop at 0925, please?  The lead engine at the Worksop end was in Harry Needle Orange; I couldn't  honestly tell what  colour the loco on the back was!  Grateful for any help, please. Many thanks.

That will be DRS Compass 20305 & HNRC Orange 20314. 

Hope this helps. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grampus said:

Evening all, 

20305 and 314.

• Thanks 1

DRS Crewe on a mission and 37420,

thank you both very much.  I confess  I was so surprised (shouldn't have been, I guess!) that I forgot to look for the numbers, even assuming I could have read them through the mess!

Best wishes, 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grampus said:

DRS Crewe on a mission and 37420,

thank you both very much.  I confess  I was so surprised (shouldn't have been, I guess!) that I forgot to look for the numbers, even assuming I could have read them through the mess!

Best wishes, 

Paul

You are more than welcome. 

It's been 305 & 314 on that diagram for the past few days I believe. The other three active DRS & HNRC 20/3s (302, 303 & 311) are all currently on York Works. The status this year is that DRS have hired in 311 & 314 from HNRC to support their three 20/3s on this particular diagram that has weight restrictions on some bridges on the route thus Class 20s are the preferred traction. I also believe that in January/February 2020 DRS are to store and withdraw their last three 20/3s permanently. So most definitely if you can and  if you are interested make the most of seeing them three especially over the next week or two before the RHTTs finish. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Out of interest does the rhtt spray all the way on a circuit or spray where necessary? 

I can't answer this question fully but I do know on at least some diagrams the RHTT sets do not spray whilst going over road level crossings. So to an extent at least on some diagrams no they don't spray all of the time. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I can't answer this question fully but I do know on at least some diagrams the RHTT sets do not spray whilst going over road level crossings. So to an extent at least on some diagrams no they don't spray all of the time. 

I think the spray is controlled via GPS and can be fine tuned according to daily requirements.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s not as hi-tech as that Dave, The spray is controlled by a bloke sat in the cab who flicks a switch to turn the machine on and off where required on the tick sheet

it doesn’t spray over pointwork, in tunnels (which is a new one on me), when stationary so the operator needs to know where they are and remember to switch it off when we have stopped or the jet will cut through the rail (3000 bar pressure!) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2019 at 07:50, beast66606 said:

I think the spray is controlled via GPS and can be fine tuned according to daily requirements.

On 02/12/2019 at 08:12, big jim said:

It’s not as hi-tech as that Dave, The spray is controlled by a bloke sat in the cab who flicks a switch to turn the machine on and off where required on the tick sheet

it doesn’t spray over pointwork, in tunnels (which is a new one on me), when stationary so the operator needs to know where they are and remember to switch it off when we have stopped or the jet will cut through the rail (3000 bar pressure!) 

Thanks for the replies gents, it's really useful to know. So I'm assuming their is always two crew members for the RHTTs Jim? One to control the loco/s and the other to control the spraying/switches as and when required? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

8 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

So I'm assuming their is always two crew members for the RHTTs Jim? One to control the loco/s and the other to control the spraying/switches as and when required? 

Yes alongside the driver there is an operator - not a member of the foc, it used to be serco but l finished a couple of years ago so not sure who they work for now ( Jim?),

And that operator turns the jetting on and off according to a mileage tick sheet, via a remote control panel - which they often have to hold out of the window to get a radio signal!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yes alongside the driver there is an operator - not a member of the foc, it used to be serco but l finished a couple of years ago so not sure who they work for now ( Jim?),

And that operator turns the jetting on and off according to a mileage tick sheet, via a remote control panel - which they often have to hold out of the window to get a radio signal!

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Very interesting and I had no idea that someone had to lean out of the window to control the spraying. I haven't seen any RHTTs this year though because I haven't been spotting and in previous years when I have seen them it's usually been passing a station so you most likely won't notice this happening with only seeing the loco/s and RHTT for such a short space of time. 

5 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Very interesting and I had no idea that someone had to lean out of the window to control the spraying. I haven't seen any RHTTs this year though because I haven't been spotting and in previous years when I have seen them it's usually been passing a station so you most likely won't notice this happening with only seeing the loco/s and RHTT for such a short space of time. 

The operator actually doesn't need to lean out of the window to control the jetting - just occasionally they have (or used to have) problems connecting the remote :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 101 said:

The operator actually doesn't need to lean out of the window to control the jetting - just occasionally they have (or used to have) problems connecting the remote :)

Right I see, thank you. It must still be difficult to do though especially when the loco is moving, with cold, wet and windy weather conditions and most importantly to try and get the signal for when you need it in order to spray the appropriate sections of track. 

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 101 said:

the operator we use are a company called ‘weedfree’ i know colas use their own operators down the cambrian as the trains have to be double manned so rather than have 3 in the cab the shunter does the spraying 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, big jim said:

the operator we use are a company called ‘weedfree’ i know colas use their own operators down the cambrian as the trains have to be double manned so rather than have 3 in the cab the shunter does the spraying 

Thanks for the info Jim, it's very interesting especially for those like me who don't work on the railways and therefore wouldn't really know. I always thought that a member of train crew like you for example from that specific operator say GBRf, Colas etc operated the spraying of the RHTT. 

2 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for the info Jim, it's very interesting especially for those like me who don't work on the railways and therefore wouldn't really know. I always thought that a member of train crew like you for example from that specific operator say GBRf, Colas etc operated the spraying of the RHTT. 

Before the advent of RHTT trains when we had sandite locos , it was done by the driver via a switch on the drivers desk and there were trackside markers to show where to drop the sandite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Before the advent of RHTT trains when we had sandite locos , it was done by the driver via a switch on the drivers desk and there were trackside markers to show where to drop the sandite.

Thanks for that. That's also really interesting to know. So I suppose in current times with the spraying on the tracks it's about specific knowledge of the operator and driver to know when to spray and what speed etc to have the loco/s moving at. 

• RMweb Gold

In need of a good going over with a Kärcher (other pressure washers are available), GBRf 66706 'Nene Valley' and 66753 'EMD Roberts Road' wait at London Euston on the evening of 8th December 2019 with 3J02, 00.59, London Euston to Bescot TMD.

90651366_667063J02LondonEuston08122019-RMweb.jpg.cf10b578c7e0c4339f6fbf2cf2a808db.jpg

587335789_667533J02LondonEuston08122019-RMweb.jpg.d3b3d11ee6298d3280dfa65ca21dea7e.jpg

• Like 4