Restoring the Platform 2 Buildings at Sheringham

Steve51769

It has been a long held ambition of the North Norfolk Railway to restore the missing buildings on Platform 2 at Sheringham - this is your chance to help make that dream come to fruition:
The Sheringham Platform 2 Project has been initiated - the NNR is looking for your help in raising the initial £185k to rebuild the missing building. This will enable us to erect the back screen wall, and the canopy stanchions and steelwork. If we raise sufficient funds the works will commence early next year. Once this stage is funded a second appeal will be made to help fund the glazed canopy. The picture is a Photoshop mock up of how the restored buildings (on the right hand platform) would look.
We would be grateful for any assistance you feel able to give to help bring this project to fruition:
· Donations can be made online by credit or debit card at shop.nnrailway.co.uk/qr.php
· Cheques should be made payable to “North Norfolk Railway plc” and posted to Platform 2 Appeal, North Norfolk Railway plc, Station Approach, Sheringham NR26 8RA.
· An appeal leaflet with Gift Aid form can be downloaded from www.nnrailway.co.uk/platform2/
or requested via email (enquiries@nnrailway.co.uk), by post, or call 01263 820800.
· Further details can be found on the NNR website at www.nnrailway.co.uk

Sheringham_future_view_(Steve_Allen).jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Boris said:

I love appeals like this, it's not "we need more space for a shop or a tea room", it's "we're putting back what should be there".  Count me in.

It doesn't mean it won't be used for a shop or tea room.

It will limit the view from the signal box up the track to the road bridge..

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Boris said:

I'm a bit confused as well by the signal box issue, it's demonstration only, but its also back in its original postion so surely if people coped with the limited view for 100 plus years they can cope again?

What was considered acceptable 100 years ago might not be now.

6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

What was considered acceptable 100 years ago might not be now.

I'm sure there can be a workround if Network Rail can signal trains many miles away I'm sure a preserved railway can think of something.  This is of course is if the box is ever brough back into use!

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'm sure there can be a workround if Network Rail can signal trains many miles away I'm sure a preserved railway can think of something.  This is of course is if the box is ever brough back into use!

Sure, there are ways and means but it raises the question about how much modern equipment a preserved railway should be using.

Of course as you point out entirely academic when the box isn't actually in use!

17 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sure, there are ways and means but it raises the question about how much modern equipment a preserved railway should be using.

Of course as you point out entirely academic when the box isn't actually in use!

Well yes, it's not as if track circuits don't date back to 1864 or anything.

• Like 2

Something that worries me, the NNR now have two appeals on the go. Reedham signal box and now Sheringham Platform 2 buildings, it's a shame little has happened with crossing the line (footbridge) appeal, in regards to the Holt footbridge. I don't want this to come across as point scoring, when setting up an appeal to ask for £35,000 to build Holt footbridge and Sheringham footbridge for £80,000 respectively. To forge ahead with another 2 projects when the other one isn't started. 

Having put a little bit towards the footbridge appeal, I'd be very worried to see a turntable appeal set-up before anything happens on the Holt footbridge.

https://www.nnrailway.co.uk/reedham-junction/

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/railway-appeal-to-build-bridges-at-sheringham-and-holt-nears-its-target-1-4086262  

Holt Station The issue with the proposed footbridge is I understand they don't own all the land necessary on which to build it on.

In my view the footbridge should not be built and the original platform relocated opposite the main platform, shorten the tracks and rap platform around the end of the tracks like any terminus station, thereby giving DDA access to both platforms which a footbridge doesn't.

It will also improve car parking.

Paul.

Edited by PaulG
To make it clear talking about Holt
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

The issue with the footbridge is I understand they don't own all the land necessary on which to build it on.

In my view the footbridge should not be built and the original platform relocated opposite the main platform, shorten the tracks and rap platform around the end of the tracks like any terminus station, thereby giving DDA access to both platforms which a footbridge doesn't.

It will also improve car parking.

Paul.

But wouldn't that destroy the recently-reconstructed connection to the mainline? While not providing a high-angle vantage point for photographers, which I suspect is one of the big attractions of a bridge.

Paul

2 minutes ago, Fenman said:

But wouldn't that destroy the recently-reconstructed connection to the mainline? While not providing a high-angle vantage point for photographers, which I suspect is one of the big attractions of a bridge.

Paul

Hi Paul

The bridge being referred to is at Holt whereas the mainline connection is at the other end of the line - Sheringham.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, s182ggu said:

Hi Paul

The bridge being referred to is at Holt whereas the mainline connection is at the other end of the line - Sheringham.

Hope this helps.

But I think PaulG was referring to the bridge at Sheringham? Maybe not: there are bridges proposed at both locations. I know ultimately they want to extend the tracks southward from Holt, so turning that into a "wraparound" terminus wouldn't work with that.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fenman said:

. I know ultimately they want to extend the tracks southward from Holt, so turning that into a "wraparound" terminus wouldn't work with that.

Paul

A noble aspiration, despite all the work put in at Holt over the years it sill is not much of a destination. I wonder how this is to be achieved as the A148 sits on the old formation just south of the station ....

To try to clarify...…. I'm not sure which 'Paul' raised the initial query but a new bridge has been installed at Sheringham within the last couple of years. It is this bridge which is shown in the picture in the OP above.

Hope this helps.

20 minutes ago, Fenman said:

But I think PaulG was referring to the bridge at Sheringham? Maybe not: there are bridges proposed at both locations. I know ultimately they want to extend the tracks southward from Holt, so turning that into a "wraparound" terminus wouldn't work with that.

Paul

I was talking about Holt, not Sheringham as this already has a footbridge.

The extension from Holt towards the old Holt station site, Melton Constable and Fakenham is not a NNR project but Norfolk Orbital Railway. There are significant costs with this project, not least a new road bridge immediately outside the NNR Holt Station site, squeezing next to the Holt bypass, built on the old track bed and a new road bridge where currently there is a roundabout!

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2019 at 07:15, 17A said:

Something that worries me, the NNR now have two appeals on the go. Reedham signal box and now Sheringham Platform 2 buildings, it's a shame little has happened with crossing the line (footbridge) appeal, in regards to the Holt footbridge. I don't want this to come across as point scoring, when setting up an appeal to ask for £35,000 to build Holt footbridge and Sheringham footbridge for £80,000 respectively. To forge ahead with another 2 projects when the other one isn't started. 

Having put a little bit towards the footbridge appeal, I'd be very worried to see a turntable appeal set-up before anything happens on the Holt footbridge.

https://www.nnrailway.co.uk/reedham-junction/

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/railway-appeal-to-build-bridges-at-sheringham-and-holt-nears-its-target-1-4086262  

The Reedham Signalbox appeal is very close to its target. The footbridge fund is ready to pay for the Holt bridge as soon as a land issue is resolved. The design had to be reworked to meet current regs and this meant more land is required for the legs, but due to narrowing of the site some additional land is required from the adjacent site. To date the owners have been reluctant to sell the small patch required. It’s hoped this will soon be resolved and the bridge erected this winter. I can assure you we are just as frustrated as you that it hasn’t been built yet. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1