RBates99 Workbench

RBates99

Hello everyone!

This is my first venture into O gauge having previously modeled in N gauge, so I'm starting from scratch a little!

I'm currently building a Parkside Kit of an LMS 12 ton Open Wagon, with the hope of adding more LMS things to my little collection.

Now, would the entirety of the interior be a 'more natural wood' colour or just the floor? or would it all just be LMS freight grey? Plus, does anyone know how to darken the rather golden coupling hooks? 

Thanks,

Robert

69456892_2504094036499804_3121790137214697472_n.jpg

9EF32D0C-96DD-434F-A1AD-4FE5A23D0670.jpeg

Edited by RBates99
Change of photo
  • Like 2

Hey!

So I painted the interior, added the transfers and here it stands 'factory fresh' ready for weathering and a suitable load. I quite enjoyed making this so I've ordered another Parkside kit, an LMS Beer Van, to build next!

70892596_2543214702403776_70704803893739520_n.jpg

70883084_2529110557321652_115904730479198208_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done. It is a big step up from "N" to "0"! :smile_mini2:

What experience do you have of making kits from metal? If you have limited experience I would suggest a Connoisseur "Skill builder kit" such as the LNER LOWMAC (see link here). You can download the instruction booklet to get an idea of what you would be getting before buying. They are good kits to make and the instructions give advice on how to construct brass kits.  Ideal.  If you have loads of experience making brass kits I will go back to sleep.:crazy:

Keep up the good work.

Ian.

• Like 1

I believe you have made a good choice as a first foray in to brass model construction. One of the challenges with brass can be making lengthy folds eg for the solebars. Jim gives good advice in his instructions on how to do this and other modelling techniques. In this case the short wheelbase wagons makes it less challenging.  

If you have no experience in soldering brass together I would suggest practising on the bits of scrap etch that will be cut away before committing to the actual parts.

I am sure you will enjoy it. If things go a bit wrong, don't worry it happens to us all and it is usually recoverable. 

I look forward to seeing the results.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at the moment I’m totally snowed under with Postgrad applications and Conservatoire auditions so I’ve decided to postpone starting my brass kit until things quieten down a little!

In the meantime I’ve started another Parkside, the LMS 20T brake van, to add to my collection! So far it’s involved drilling some tiny holes, something which modelling in N gauge never prepared me for!

AE7B235A-DC0E-48A7-9644-92109B52A434.jpeg