Track Plans For A Beginner

Wilko1972

• RMweb Premium

Hi Wilko,

First, welcome to the weird and wonderful world of RMWeb!

If there's one near you, pop into WH Smith's to have a look at their magazine section:

BRM regularly do a 'bookazine' that is aimed at beginners; they contain trackplans from layouts that have been in the magazine, as well as hints and tips on how to achieve some of the effects.

Railway Modeller also does a couple of specials, at least one of which may be what you're looking for (you'll find these in some of the bigger branches of WHS or in a model railway shop).

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to Alex's reply, I could add that Model Rail also do similar bookazines.

Much like the specials done by the people who do BRM and Railway Modeller, these publications are well worth studying - and offer a lot of very sound advice.

If you are able to visit any of the major shows, at which the mainstream railway modelling magazines have stands, I would also suggest having a chat with the editors and staff writers. I've found them to be very approachable and willing to offer sensible advice / point you in the right direction.

As for track plan books, I personally think they're worth looking at - for ideas and inspiration - but don't follow anything slavishly.

I certainly wouldn't even think of diving straight into the largest, most complex, plans in any of these books, for a whole raft of reasons. Think of them as a way of showing what could, potentially, be achieved with unlimited funds, space, time and people to build them.

Instead, I'd aim for something smaller and simpler, that you might actually be able to finish within a reasonable time and budget (and before you lose interest).

Some people go for a loop of track, with a couple of points and either sidings or a passing loop. They're simple to build and allow you to "watch the trains go by".

I know that, when I was younger, I quickly grew bored of this. I also noticed that this sort of layout can take up a lot of space.

An alternative might be a simple "end to end" layout - again with some points, but configured as a "switching puzzle".

These don't need to be enormous - some (often known as "micro layouts") could fit onto a moderate size table - don't expect a "basement empire" with seemingly infinite operating potential - but they can be built in a reasonable time and allow you to do more with your model trains than just "run round in circles".

I wouldn't attempt to tell you what to build - what to do - but I really don't suggest diving straight into any build.

I think you've made a good call already - you've asked questions. Over time, you'll probably ask more questions - and ask more people these questions. Don't automatically follow what everyone says - but don't automatically ignore, either.

Certainly though, I would suggest visiting some shows and club open days - seeing what you like (and what you don't) - seeing what interests you (and what doesn't) - and not being afraid to ask questions.

I will say, though, that most people round here - well, most people in the hobby, seem to be decent, approachable, people. I've never had to contend with anyone "inviting me to take up cycling", or anything even remotely like that.

There's no need to rush into anything in this hobby. I think it's far better to work out what appeals to you - take your time getting there - and enjoy yourself.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wilko1972 said:

Are the Peco track plan books worth looking at?

Yes. Especially 60 Plans For Small Locations.

You may not build a layout exactly like one in the book but it's full of ideas and is inexpensive. Well worth £1.60 of anyone's money.  :)

https://peco-uk.com/collections/publications/products/the-railway-modeller-book-of-60-plans

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I know Hornby used to do some plastic track templates to a constant (reduced) scale - but I haven't seen them recently.

Otherwise, there are downloadable PDF templates of points on the Peco website (print out at actual size, I believe) - but nothing to represent the standard, fixed straight and curved track pieces in their range. I don't know if they have any plans to offer similar templates for these pieces as well - but I can't help wondering if some people might find them useful.

Otherwise, there are a number of track planning programs available on the internet. (I can't recommend any, as I've never tried them - but I suspect that some of the teams that took part in Channel 5's "Great Model Railway Challenge" might have used them.)

I must admit that I have heard suggestions that some published track plans might not always be easy to build in the quoted spaces - due either to changes in track "geometry", or to insufficient clearances to run some locos and stock.

Of course, this might always be a malicious rumour - but, when building and running layouts, a number of people seem to find that they need more space than they think they will.

Certainly, a lot of "book" plans seem to use a lot of "1st radius" curves - which is interesting, because a lot of recently released model locos and stock seem to need 2nd, or even 3rd radius curves to operate properly.

This might not be too much of an issue with a short, 4 wheel loco and short, 4 wheel wagons - but I wouldn't want to try sending a model of a BR 9F "Evening Star" around a circuit of 1st radius track.

As for "60 Plans for Small Locations", you could certainly get a lot of useful pointers from books like this - but it might be worth allowing a bit more space in each direction than the bare minimum mentioned.

If nothing else, you might not want locos and stock going right to the edge of any baseboards.

My thoughts (for what they're worth) - I'm sure there will be someone along soon with more experience/ knowledge than I've got.

Whatever the score, all the best,

Huw.

I'd add that it's also worth looking for secondhand copies of older editions of 60 Plans, along with its companion volume Track Plans. Again, don't follow them slavishly, as many are dependent on R1 curves and (now unobtainable) R1 points to work in the space as drawn. Lots of good ideas, though, and most, if not all, can be operated in a proper, railwaylike manner, however compressed. 

As mentioned, many of C.J. Freezer's Peco track plans were designed for track that is no longer available.

I would recommend, and I can't stress this enough, don't build a 6x4 tail chaser. It's unrealistic and needs more floor space than you might think it does, hence tends to get pushed into the corner and become a repository for junk.

Before deciding on a plan you need to think about a few things.

• How much space do you have? Even if you have an empty spare room, loft, shed, etc it may not be desirable to fill it with a railway empire. But resist the temptation to cram in as much track as possible.
  • Do you want to build a fixed or portable layout? Building portable layouts means you can pack them away neatly when not actually being used, and in future you can take them to shows.
  • Do you have a particular prototype, location and era in mind? A steam era layout would have different requirements from a modern layout with mostly multiple units.
  • Do you have a preference for urban or rural scenery? This can help decide on a design.
  • Do you have a particular scale in mind? Smaller scales allow more compact layouts, or allow you to put more into any given space. Larger scales allow much more exquisite detail, but generally need more space and rollingstock inevitably costs more. The availability of rollingstock for your desired era/location may help decide on a scale.

Above all, remember that each layout is only a practice for the next one. You don't have to achieve everything you want in your first layout.

If it's a complete blank slate, you could consider a simple end to end test track on a plank just to get going. You can have something up and running in a day. Then start adding scenery to it.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

You can also try here. Although not a book, you can print them off: 

http://www.freetrackplans.com/

They have an abundance of different layout plans suitable for the size or space you want to use. There are also Hornby plans on there so you can match the track and work out the potential cost.

You can easily convert the plans into different scales. The plans are all OO gauge, so you can roughly work out that the same plan in N gauge would be achieved in half the space, and pretty much the opposite for O gauge.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Wilko1972 said:

Hi,

I'm looking for track plans for an absolute beginner I.e. me! Suggestions in the form of a book would be a bonus. For my first venture into model railways I'm happy to use set track products.

Thanks for reading this.

‘It’s kind of hard to advise what track plans book to look at because I’m not sure what your interests are . Do you want a continuous run or an end to end layout . Are you into sectional track or willing to go for flexible track . What I can say is that as well as the publications people talk about above Peco produce “Your guide to OO gauge Railway Modelling”. There’s also one for N gauge .  Although not track plans books as such, they do contain a lot of information and the OO one has 12 plans  at the back from the usual 6 by 4 starter up to 15ft x 10ft , with sizes in between . Rather a good bookazine actually with lots of information and actual layout pictures . I got mine from a model shop but you can probably get direct from Peco or any of the big suppliers like Hattons

Good luck. Always nice to see someone joining in . 

Edited by Legend

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Wilko1972 said:

Hi,

I'm looking for track plans for an absolute beginner I.e. me! Suggestions in the form of a book would be a bonus. For my first venture into model railways I'm happy to use set track products.

Thanks for reading this.

Check out these:

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/the-brm-guide-to-trackplans-and-layout-design

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/the-brm-guide-to-trackplans-and-layout-design-volume-2

https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/the-brm-guide-to-trackplans-and-layouts-volume-3

Hi Wilko,

I don't know if you've seen this thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79690-building-your-first-layout-supplement/

It's from a few years back, but there was also a bookzine to go with it.

Seems as good a place as any to start, and quite versatile in terms of possible locations as others have pointed out.

1 hour ago, Waraqah said:

Hi Wilko,

I don't know if you've seen this thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79690-building-your-first-layout-supplement/

It's from a few years back, but there was also a bookzine to go with it.

Seems as good a place as any to start, and quite versatile in terms of possible locations as others have pointed out.

I was thinking about that one as I was planning something similar at the time as a "quick" project.

Can't believe that was 2013 though. :O

Jason

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was thinking about that one as I was planning something similar at the time as a "quick" project.

Can't believe that was 2013 though. :O

Jason

Time flies when you're having fun... or maybe we're all just getting old.  :lol:

On 24/09/2019 at 20:41, Wilko1972 said:

Are the Peco track plan books worth looking at?

Very much so especally 60 plans for small railways but they can not be made with Set Track.    Set track spacing between tracks is a lot wider than the Peco Streamline the plans were drawn for.  However modern locos have problems with hill climbing so don't build any of the older two level designs without checking.  For instance a 1970s Hornby Brittannia pulls 12 coaches up a 1 in 30 where a modern "Tornado" pulls 4.

If you have set track why not lay it on a flat surface and play around with different track configurations?   Kitchen tables, kitchen floor, patio, front room, bedroom.   Obviously when you use flexi track you have to have a plan, whether paper, computer generated or just in your head before you start cutting track.   Not very obviously you need a plan before you start cutting wood for a baseboard, but plenty of people make this mistake.   Its best to base your plan on the space available, not how big a baseboard you have cobbled up.

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2019 at 12:30, ianLMS said:

You can easily convert the plans into different scales. The plans are all OO gauge, so you can roughly work out that the same plan in N gauge would be achieved in half the space, and pretty much the opposite for O gauge.

Hi

2/3s or 3/4s is a better value to use when converting OO plans to N as it allows a more generous curve radius.

Cheers

Paul

I would start by deciding what kind of railway you want to model.  Is it modern-image, like you can see on the real railways today? Or do you want to model something set in the past, and if so how far back do you want to go? Are you attracted to railways in the UK, or do you like French, German, or US railways? Do you want to do lots of model making, or get something running as quickly as possible? 

Then have a look at the scales. There's a lot of them and some are much better provided for than others. N gauge will give you more railway in a small space, but can be fiddly to work with. OO or HO is more satisfying but you'll only get a quarter of the same railway that you do in N Gauge. Or what about O Gauge which is much more satisfying in terms of presence but gives you far less railway in the same space as you get in OO gauge.

The again, if all you want to do is make models and you're not that interested in running them then you don't need a railway at all.

Personally, I think I'd keep it simple. Don't spend a lot of money on it, and regard the project as a learning exercise which you expect to end up giving away or throwing away before embarking on something better where you can apply everything you learned.

Edited by colin smith
typo

7 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

2/3s or 3/4s is a better value to use when converting OO plans to N as it allows a more generous curve radius.

Cheers

Paul

And don't forget that you can't halve the size of a layout with an operating well in the middle, or you won't fit!

If you give us an idea of the space you have available, between us we may be able to find something suitable.

I'd also suggest having a look at the Heart of Georgia layout. Although the prototype is American, the construction method is adaptable and it doesn't change much to change the station design to something else. The benefits are it has much gentler curves, a longer run of main line, scope for realistic operation and actually takes no more floor space than a solid 6x4 when you take into account operating space. It is also truly portable so packs away when not in use. 

Cheers

David

Hello,

Your local library might be worth a vist as they often have railway modelling books on the shelf you can read there or take home. Some libraries may have copies of railway modelling magazines either on the shelf or in the archive, it's worth asking. Charity shops are also worth looking in for railway modelling books or magazines.

Regards,

Martin