led route indicator panel

deltanw12

You need some way of switching, usually done by contacts attached to the switch machine.  Some types of switch machine will let you light an LED through the motor position (because LED's are directional), but only a few let you do it that way.  If you are using Peco solenoid's, you will find that there is an accessory switch available (PL-13 ).  Then, you will need to supply power to the switch, and from there run to each LED, a resistor, and back to ground.  If you are using Torti, they have the switches built in.  I think Cobalt also have switches built in.

I hope that helps,

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, deltanw12 said:

Controlled by the switch

Switch?  Panel switch or a switch fitted to the actual point motor?  

Next, what type of point motors?  If solenoid, you will need to either fit an additional switch such as the Peco PL10 having a PL13 or PL15 fitted or use a Seep PM1 with built-in change over switch. Or fit a micro switch to the side of the point and the micro switches lever is moved by the points tie bar moving. Another alternative for solenoids is to use a latching relay wired into the points three feed wires. Such as the Gaugemaster GM500.   

You can't use the solenoid motors operation switch for LED indications as the switch for solenoids has to be momentary non locking type.  i.e its contact has to open as soon as the switch is released. 

The other option for solenoids is to use a Point Position Indicator board such as the BlockSignalling PPI  Link to typical PPI   The major disadvantage with the PPI unit is it doesn't indicate that the point has actually moved, only that the operating switch has been moved. Where as a point motor operated switch will at least show the motor has moved over.

For other types of point operation we really need to know what you're using.

Some ideas on panel indications and wiring are shown here... Link to item

I have used dual colour red/green leds with each pair operated by a switch on each point motor. I.e. 1&2 from A and 3&4 from B. Remember each led can be red or green.

Logic:

If both switches are set for a straight route through A & B then leds 1&4 are green and leds 2&3 are red.

If both switches are set to cross from A to B then leds 1&4 are red and leds 2&4 are green.

If any one switch (point) fails to set then by way of balanced resistors in each colour leg of the leds I get all yellows as a caution that all is not well.

My route leds were sited on a wall mounted mimic board on one layout but on track at each junction location on another layout. Not prototypical at all but suited to my purpose. Details on my signature website.