4 mm scale rope.

sb67

I need some rope to lay around my 4mm scale dockyard layout. I've tried various things like cotton and a few strands of thin fuse wire twisted round but I just cant get it to look or sit right. I'd like some coils or lengths just laying around.

I was wondering if anybody could let me know what they use or how they do it.

Many thanks.

Steve

Model ship manufacturers such as Mantua or Artesina Latina produce scale rope at various diameters, most model shops that sell wooden ship models usually have a stand of accessories including scale rope, or check online.

Alternatively get a length of fuse wire bend in half, place the two ends into a chuck and place a dowel or similar at the bend and rotate either the chuck or the dowel so the wire twists itself into a tight rope like length - thats how modellers of  small scale ships produce ropes.

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, unfortunately I don't have a model shop that would sell rope near me. I've tried the fuse wire idea but maybe I just need to practice on that a bit. 

I'll look on the model boats link.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

For a dockyard scene, I would suggest that a model boat supplier should have what you need - such as here

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

Problem is that you can't tell from the photos if it will look right - do you have any similar shops locally ?

As an ex ship modeller I was going to suggest that.

There's also https://www.model-dockyard.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=rigging&PN=Amati_Rigging_Cord.html#a4124_2f63

Edited by johnarcher
  • Thanks 1

Something else. These small cords don't behave quite the same as the full size ropes and lines they are trying to represent. Basically, they are not as flexible or 'heavy' enough, so they don't lie flat or hang right

I've found wetting them with dilute PVA helps them to take the right shape and then set

Richard

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

That rigging cord looks good.  

The idea of wetting with dilute pva I'll try as well. That's the problem  I think, nothing will be as heavy as the real thing so wont hang or lie right.

Some good ideas and options here.

Thanks' guys

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

If you have a local soft furnishing supplies shop, you might find a suitable thread there. I found one suitable for rigging my 4mm SDJR ships, in our local shop - Guterman CA02776. It is strong but flexible, but fairly thin about .3mm - about 1" diameter. Picture hanging wire is another option. Mine came from a pound shop picture hanging kit. It is a brass coloured 6-strand wire, which keeps its shape when bent or coiled. It is about .6mm or 2". It depends how neat and tidy you want your dockyard to be. Our local port, Newhaven, is mainly for fishing and leisure craft. The fishing area is not very tidy, especially in the more unused areas. Here are some samples!!

Newhaven harbour ropes 2014.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for those photo's Phil, the one bottom right is what I'd like to achieve.

Steve.

You are welcome. The rope of the size of that in that photo is what would be used to moor decent sized ships, for example the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry. That type of rope or cable as the heavier ropes are sometimes called might be represented by the cords used for pull-cord bathroom lights or on venetian blinds. Look in a few skips for the latter - or snip a bit off one that is in use. They are nearly always too long!.

MV Seven Sisters leaving Dieppe 25 9 10.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Thanks 1

0.5mm Waxed cotton cord?...will need manipulating to shape and weathering down...

https://www.spoiltrottenbeads.co.uk/product/black-0-5mm-waxed-cotton-cord-per-meter/

or the military modelling crowd have a good range of bespoke suppliers of various sizes...not always cheap.

https://www.megahobby.com/brands/LZ-Models.html

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/lzm35604.htm

Edited by Bristol_Rich
  • Thanks 1

A couple of photos of part of the harbourside on "Tormouth Quay".

In the first one, the mooring lines on the fishing boat are, effectively, the waxed cotton cord mentioned above although my coil was actually sold as "whipping thread".

It was stained (sparingly) with Colron Wood Dye which also stiffens it a bit as it dries and allows you to put a reasonably prototypical sag into it.

The bow line on the dinghy on the slip, seen more clearly in the second photo, is plain & simple button thread straight from the sewing box.

548835953_170209TormouthQuayDSC_4650a.jpg.2cd5865b64ce3cb9cb787780090cf49a.jpg

1397757420_170209TormouthQuayDSC_4658a.jpg.9bf0ed7b99836262a5139390f2950247.jpg

Both photos   Chris Nevard, courtesy Model Rail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

That type of rope or cable as the heavier ropes are sometimes called might be represented by the cords used for pull-cord bathroom lights or on venetian blinds.

Hurrah -  an opportunity for a new piece of pedantry

Those are usually a sennit rather than the usual three strand rope. You can tell by the way the strands cross over each other rather than spiral around

Doesn't matter a damn in a model

I once found a broken piece on a beach about 5 metres long. I would have taken it for other uses, only it was about 4 inches in diameter and I couldn't carry it!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

A method I have used to emulate small chains is to seperate two strands of 7/.02mm wire and twist them together quite tightly to suit; additional strands can be used for larger sizes. 

This method can represent ropes but would be best suited for lengths rather than loose coils - give it a try.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Right Away said:

A method I have used to emulate small chains is to seperate two strands of 7/.02mm wire and twist them together quite tightly to suit; additional strands can be used for larger sizes. 

This method can represent ropes but would be best suited for lengths rather than loose coils - give it a try.

Light-weight chain can sometimes be found in the jewellery trays in charity shops. I used some I found for my steam cranes. The bucket is the top button off a Lidl's perfume spray!

Hydraulic 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2