Sticking brick paper to plastic card

spikey

It occurs to me that the plastic card building I'm making will blend in better with its neighbours if I face it with brick paper rather than the embossed styrene I was going to use.  So ... having never used brick paper, I now have to ask - what's my best bet for sticking it to plastic card?

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Some print brick/stone textures like Scalescenes on to A4 size self-adhesive labels and stick them to Plastikard shells.

Gosh, what a good idea!  Thank you for that.  I may well end up using ready-printed paper though, so I'd still like to see what folk recommend by way of glue.  Maybe the answer is a spray  adhesive, but I have no experience of using one ...

I did this on a bridge I built using Slaters brick sheets some time ago. If I remember right I used Pritt Stick, the high strength one, after roughing up the plastic with some wet and dry 600 grit used dry. Giving the surface a rub over gives the paper something to grab on to. It is still stuck after a few years.

Pete.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2019 at 09:56, Rowsley17D said:

Some print brick/stone textures like Scalescenes on to A4 size self-adhesive labels and stick them to Plastikard shells.

Hi 

I have read this on here before and thought it’s a good idea but haven’t been able to find any A4 size self adhesive labels , can you please point me in the right direction.

Dennis 

Yes, spray adhesive will work.  I think I glued plain paper to the plastic card first because the spray stuff can get messy.  I then glued the brickpaper to the paper layer using UHU stick.

I do recall being shocked that the structure I built (a bridge) exhibited warping after a time.  I think because the paper absorbed moisture and the plastic didn't.  Spraying the brick paper with matte sealer would help.

The idea of printing the brick paper to self adhesive labels is very good.

John

• RMweb Premium

Brick paper will stick to plasticard by brushing over it with Mekpak, so the solvent soaks through the paper.  This may cause the plasticard to warp, so put another sheet of paper on the rear to counteract the warping force

Cheers, Dave.

PS  Check the solvent on the paper first, to ensure that it doesn't damage the brick image.

Edited by DLT

I sympathise with the idea of blending plastic card and card card buildings but in my experience card doesn't stay attached to plastic very long and begins to lift away leaving bubbles or raised edges. I have tried paper glue, super glue, PVA, Evostick pipe weld and UHU.  I prefer to keep card buildings away from plastic ones, though card representations of stone buildings and plastic representations of brick buildings can really emphasise how brick sticks out like a sore thumb among stone buildings.   Card buildings tend to swell and shrink with temperature and humidity whereas plastic ones don't.  

• Administrators

Dunlop Thixofix held embossed plastic to Daler board for over 25 years for me. I now prefer solvent free-UHU which seems OK. For this though, I'd suggest that the brick paper isn't going to move too much and the plastic base would be much stronger so wouldn't expect a problem with an even coat of good quality spray glue.