Canon powerwinder as motor and gear train

Something a little unusual that has come my way as a result of beginning the clearing of FiL's attic. This 'powerwinder' was designed for Canon's A series 35mm SLR cameras, and thanks to its fake leather covering having peeled off I can see there's a rather nice looking can motor inside. Gave it 6V, and there's clearly a good gear train in there too.

So, something of a long shot, but anyone know from experience or has seen from a 'write up' whether it has potential?

Wasn't the X04 originally designed to do something important inside an aerial reconnaissance camera? So there's precedent.

I would imagine it's a good quality unit. Whilst I'm not familiar with Canon's SLRs, I seem to remember the thumb operated winders on other brands required a fair bit of force to both advance the film and wind the stout springs that powered the shutter. As a result, I'd expect the torque output to be pretty good. What  does the output look like and is it something that could feasibly be connected to a driving axle?

2 hours ago, PatB said:

... What  does the output look like and is it something that could feasibly be connected to a driving axle?

The rotational rate of the final output would be about 1 rps, and there's plenteous torque. A little rejigging of the drive train required to get a 4mm appropriate speed, just wondering if I might light upon someone here who had done it, or could point me at a reference to an article. Google buried me under sales offers...

3 hours ago, jukebox said:

...there's a few going cheap on eBay - search under "Canon Motor Drive"

Not surprised, consumer grade 35mm photographic kit must be a drug on the market by now, with every phone having an electronic camera. There are actually two of these winders, FiL was given some kit from a close friend who lost his sight, so I am not in the market for more! (I sold most of my gear when it was clear that digital was about to happen in the pro market, just retained a single Canon F1, FtB and Tx, the latter pair going out regularly as loaners to friend's kids taking Photography as an A level subject. And they haven't been asked for in about five years so I guess 'fillum' may be off that curriculum now. Still got the best of the glass, didn't want to part with it.)

• Like 1

If my maths are correct 1 rps or 60 rpm will give about 9 mph for a 4ft wheel in what ever scale you are using.   Could be ideal for a 4 X 1 exhibition layout, wouldn't need much in the way of a controller, and on off on reversing switch might well be all that's needed.  Is it actually 6 volts?   I would have thought it would have been 3 volt or 9 volt.

It might be possible to introduce some step up gearing 3:1 or so to give a reasonable unfitted goods loco speed, 

I was taking  shots of the Lotus 72 supplied by Classic Team Lotus and wheeled out on a pre arranged  perfect sunny day ,it was for a cover shots for a  Japanese magazine and  had to be super high quality .I was using Fuji Chrome and a  tripod all proper like .I took some shots off tripe as the light was so good and as I  focused on the  number on the front nosecone and squeezed the  autowind jammed  and  shot a whole reel off rather quickly .È carried on and sent the whole lot to Japan as per .They cleverly used the whole reel of nosecone shots to frame  the cover as as per the numbered film strip so a well paid error .The 3 always did have a habit of doing  this .I went digital asap so didnt bother  to fix it but I loved the 3 with some L lenses .

Edited by friscopete

1 hour ago, Right Away said:

If not for traction, it sounds as if the motor could prove useful for powering a loco turntable up to 7mm scale.

You are on the money there. I hooked on a decoder yesterday evening, and put a foot long brass bar atop the drive coupler as a turntable bridge simulation, and it was very smooth and controllable from a dead slow start. What really makes it suitable for this application is that the drive coupler is half of a sprung dog clutch. So if you want to set up the bridge in the usual fashion as a balance beam, an ideal drive connection comes as part of the package.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Bonanza! Further items from FiL's loft, most of it complete junk but there's an ancient battery operated can owner with the rotting 8XAA batteries bursting the casing. Twelve volt power, worth a look? Joy unbounded, on cracking it open there's an unbranded can motor which in all respects including the tapped holes is a Mashima 1830 substitute, albeit shaft one end only, runs perfectly.

What else is up in the magic treasure house loft?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2