IRM Fert Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We have now opened the order books on our forthcoming CIE fertilister wagon. 

1228536572_FertSidebySide3quarter2.JPG.cfaf55ca7b6f187709a04f4ea73948bb.JPG

As you can see, these promise to be one of our best models yet, if not the best! We are doing four packs of two wagons, with each wagon individually decorated as per the prototypes from photos and research material. 

1108786609_Fertcoupled.JPG.d2aabbe79e578d647811ce1d3b25a62d.JPG

The ferts are one of the most distinctive wagons to run in Ireland, and ran nationwide during their 30 year lives in service with Irish rail. Built in Inchicore, they were based on the standard 42ft underframe, these wagons entered service with Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) in 1974 and were tasked with transporting palletised bagged fertiliser from the Nitrigin Éireann Teoranta (later Irish Fertiliser Industries) plant at Shelton Abbey, near Arklow in County Wicklow, to distribution points throughout the CIÉ/Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways networks.

805209684_Fert1.JPG.56c180864d25914fa0665bba5cf04add.JPG

In traffic, these distinctive vehicles could be found both in dedicated block trains and attached to other ‘liner’ services. In late 2001, Irish Rail signalled its intention to withdraw from a number of unprofitable freight flows, including fertiliser traffic. This, coupled with the closure of the Shelton Abbey plant in 2002, led to their withdrawal.Throughout their operational lives, these wagons wore a basic red oxide livery and a number of the wagons retained the CIÉ roundel after the formation of Irish Rail in 1987.

They are currently in production alongside our liner wagons and are due in December 2019. Prices are €100 per pack of two wagons, and as ever we are doing a great bundle deal, of €360 for all 8 wagons. 

Pre-order now by clicking here! 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 4

PSML - be Grand!

kids already complaining the mornings are cold. FFS like what are me 071 gonna pull. kids these days, No Rads wen I grew up, Ice inside the windows an al that . should of gotten them Pennys Jumper instead.

I'll have to check behind the couch for some coins...

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice looking wagons. Just ordered some last night.

Does Irish Railway Models or anyone else make fertiliser loads for these wagons?

Also do any of the doors open? If not can they be easily cut? I am thinking of a cameo scene with a fork lift truck loading or unloading fertiliser bags.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin

The packs include loads. We’ve created nice palletised stacks of fertiliser bags that will come with the packs. The doors don’t open but nothing a scalpel couldn’t fix :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Nile said:

Don't they need to go through quarantine first?

I did wonder same but likely been in transit long enough not to be a risk, on a non pc level, it has been said before folk would die for a rtr fert wagon - a case of be careful what you wish for !?

Robert  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Look ace, Gareth! Thanks very much for the video and the support as always. We love seeing our stuff on your layout! 

Thanks Fran. I love seeing IRM stuff on my layout even though I may have to eBay a kidney!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Yipppee mine arrived today and brilliant models capture the prototype in many ways - now to make the doors work !  I look forward to the supporting A class when it rocks up. 

Hopefully the diversion into UK models is as successful and helps keep the gang IRM producing lovely fine IR /NIR models, sure I can hear a class 80 railcar....

Robert   

• Thanks 2