What size ballast for 009?

didcot

As the title suggest, what size ballast are people using for oo9 layouts? As I don't have a model shop close to me anymore its difficult to judge from online product photos.

Also is it better to weather the rails before or after ballasting?

Thanks

Matt

• RMweb Premium

What sort of line are you modelling, narrow guage lines were reknown for using all sorts of strange things as ballast,  slate waste, steel works waste, shingle.. or just bare earth..

Oh modelling 4mm scale many people use N gauge ballast..

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Looking at this photo, it looks like a fairly rough ballast, obviously delivered with larger bits in it which have been cast aside. So you could get away with  OO ballast..

Note after Southern took over they would have used Southerns supplier of ballast which would be a much better quality, and probably closer on N scale ballast..

14m[1].jpg

7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well 009 is 4mm scale so 4mm ballast is supposedly correct, but a lot of people use 2mm ballast (including me) as they prefer the look as more realistic.

I think the problem is that what some suppliers call OO ballast is far too large. Often those described as N are nearer to scale size for 4mm.

The answer is to look at pictures of what you are modelling and buy what looks right. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Looking at this photo, it looks like a fairly rough ballast, obviously delivered with larger bits in it which have been cast aside. So you could get away with  OO ballast..

Note after Southern took over they would have used Southerns supplier of ballast which would be a much better quality, and probably closer on N scale ballast..

14m[1].jpg

I think they would have sourced the ballast from Meldon Quarry. Even from the start the L&B had links to the LSWR.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

I think the problem is that what some suppliers call OO ballast is far too large. Often those described as N are nearer to scale size for 4mm.

The answer is to look at pictures of what you are modelling and buy what looks right. 

Exactly correct.....

On 25/09/2019 at 12:31, didcot said:

As the title suggest, what size ballast are people using for oo9 layouts? As I don't have a model shop close to me anymore its difficult to judge from online product photos.

Also is it better to weather the rails before or after ballasting?

Thanks

Matt

I use fine granite ballast, I think intended for N-gauge. But the look of the ballast varies by line, and even by location - sheds and yards often had ash ballast, very fine and dark. I've used sand or sand/plaster mixes before (applied dry). 

I'd recommend painting the rails rusty brown first (not orange or red - I used Humbrol 113 I think). Make sure the rail sides and foot are covered well, including inside. Clean the tops and top inside edge with paper towel or even a block of wood while wet, then clean properly with a fibreglass stick or track rubber afterwards. Don't worry about getting a little  paint on the chairs, but try not to coat the sleepers.

Next for a really good effect, dry-brush the sleepers with a grey-brown, though not essential.

After ballasting is done and dry, apply a thin wash of track brown to the ballast and sleepers. You can use cheap acrylic for this. It tones everything together, removes the over-clean look of the ballast and the shine of the plastic sleepers. It is very easy and quick to do, just make it well thinned - you can always add a second coat.

In yard areas I sometimes add sand to the ballast to fill the gaps and make it look clogged, then paint dark grey to represent ash.

45605892651_9975c60e53_c.jpgIMG_5956 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, mjcampbell said:

I use fine granite ballast, I think intended for N-gauge. But the look of the ballast varies by line, and even by location - sheds and yards often had ash ballast, very fine and dark. I've used sand or sand/plaster mixes before (applied dry). 

45605892651_9975c60e53_c.jpgIMG_5956 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

The longer ago it was the more likely any line had had odd ballast, of the two lines I model

One went chalk (yeah that really worked well), yellow limestone, gray granite under different ownership

The other went, shingle, grey ballast , red ish ballast.. under different ownership.