Hornby R4898 Pullman Coach Pack

miles73128

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Not strictly Pullman. It's the Northern Belle coach pack re-released with different coach names from the previous release R4539.

Yes but this one has updated coaches. Not the Ancient airfix ones. 

Hi All,

To clarify, I meant are the new release Northern Belle coaches a match with regard to livery to coaches previously released.

They do 'appear' to be a different shade of maroon but it could be the lighting when the photo was taken.

Anyone managed to pick these up yet?

if so, an image showing one of the new coaches alongside 'Warwick' or 'Glamis' would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Delighted to see Hornby use the newer MK2E tooling. I was holding off purchasing incase they produced the ancient airfix MK2D coaches. I suspect many others held off too especially after Hornby stated that the "pack has received no major modifications", suggesting they would be the same as previous releases (Airfix type).

It's very odd that Hornby chose to call the pack 'Mk2D' when neither the prototypes modelled (Alnwick, Belvoir, Harlech), or the the actual model, contains a single Mk2D! The examples Hornby modelled should infact all be Mk2E anyway!

On 27/09/2019 at 01:22, Hilux5972 said:

It’s funny though, on the box it says Mk 2E. 

Interesting. Perhaps it's the Hornby website that needs updating. Some retailers (eg Hattons) are calling it MK2D, yet others (eg Rails) call it MK2E. Quite confusing.

Edited by scottrains29

• RMweb Premium

It’s a shame they didn’t tool a Class 57, it’s a shame they didn’t put lights in the coaches, it’s a shame they didn’t include people eating and waiters serving them. Retooling an entire body shell for 6 coaches would have cost big money, and the price would have shot up. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

With the Train Pack being reduced by Hornby from an RRP of £239.99 to £149.99, it does lead me to believe that they are using the old Airfix/Railroad Mk2d.

So why would they do the Coach pack in the new Mk2e?

I've already got a full rake of some 11 Northern Belle coaches including the new Bachmann baggage car. If let my local model shop know that I'm interested in both the new Coach & Train pack, but just want to know for sure if they are the new Mk2e before I think about upgrading. My OCD has gone into overdrive.

• RMweb Premium

Another thing I want to check. On their website they refer to the Mk2d brake as being (Mow Cop) as per the prototype, but in all the picture (as posted above) it still just shows the old running number Car 17167.

I've got a set of Fox transfers to rename some coaches into Mow Cop, Alnwick and Balmoral > all missing from  the original Hornby releases of a few years back. Like I say, I'm holding off now to see if this years releases are a new updated Mk2e. If they are, then I'll get the Coach & Train Pack. If not, will stick with what I've got and apply the transfers.

The real thing will be passing my doorstep in an hours time en-route to Llandudno Junction, so may just take myself down there to see it today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottish-Exile said:

With the Train Pack being reduced by Hornby from an RRP of £239.99 to £149.99, it does lead me to believe that they are using the old Airfix/Railroad Mk2d.

So why would they do the Coach pack in the new Mk2e?

I've already got a full rake of some 11 Northern Belle coaches including the new Bachmann baggage car. If let my local model shop know that I'm interested in both the new Coach & Train pack, but just want to know for sure if they are the new Mk2e before I think about upgrading. My OCD has gone into overdrive.

The photos on Hattons DEFINITELY show them being the Mk2E tooling. 

Apart from bump stops (removed on these anyway I believe) is there any difference between a Mk2D and Mk2E FO anyway? 

• RMweb Gold

The TSO mk 2e has one toilet window on each side. The 2d has them both on the same side. Therefore one side of the 2d has no toilet windows and the other has 2. There are other differences but these are the most obvious.

Covered in detail here:

Edited by BR Blue
Mistake

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

The TSO mk 2e has one toilet window on each side. The 2d has them both on the same side. Therefore one side of the 2d has no toilet windows and the other has 2. There are other differences but these are the most obvious.

Covered in detail here:

The *TSO* does. But the Mk2D and Mk2E FOs are essentially the same barring the bump stops which have been removed on the Northern Belle set anyway. 

• Agree 1

I posted this over on the Bachmann area, but it is the current Northern Belle coach numbers/types:

The Hornby pack with the ‘class 57’ (R3697) are, I believe, Mk2D. Where as R4898 was always down as Mk2E. Fingers crossed Bachmann wont take five years in making suitable West Coast 57s for the NB! 

Hi all,

For those that are interested, I can confirm the shade of Marion on the recently relaesed Northern Belle coach pack is slightly different to the previously released Mk2D's. The roof is also a different shade as well. 

Also, interestingly, the new Mk2E are a few mm shorter as well....... Is this prototypical or where the older Airfix coaches too long?

Edited by CB Rail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi all,

For those that are interested, I can confirm the shade of Marion on the recently relaesed Northern Belle coach pack is slightly different to the previously released Mk2D's. The roof is also a different shade as well. 

Also, interestingly, the new Mk2E are a few mm shorter as well....... Is this prototypical or where the older Airfix coaches too long?

I would imagine the older ones were a bit too long. 

18 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They have a DRS one available now. 32-764. 

790F848C-9D39-4F10-B17A-58B2EA839EE4.jpeg

32-764 “Northern Princess” is discontinued. They have 32-764A “Solway Princess” now. 

You could always have one in Northern Belle livery and one in DRS livery as well. I think the variety adds a bit of visual interest.