Hornby R4898 Pullman Coach Pack

miles73128

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

Hi all,

For those that are interested, I can confirm the shade of Marion on the recently relaesed Northern Belle coach pack is slightly different to the previously released Mk2D's. The roof is also a different shade as well. 

Also, interestingly, the new Mk2E are a few mm shorter as well....... Is this prototypical or where the older Airfix coaches too long?

Thank you for posting this info. It's very much appreciated. I have a rake of the old Northern Belle coaches and I have bought the new three coach pack too. I have had a busy weekend so I haven't had a chance to unpack the new coaches. If their is a slight difference in colour and the length of the coaches I am not too bothered because it will only be noticeable from up close and when stood back I doubt it will be that noticeable. Besides no other manufacturers have produced the Northern Belle coaches and the Hornby ones are great value for money. I'm looking forward to creating a more prototypical length train with the new coaches added. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2019 at 13:35, 159220 said:

The Hornby pack with the ‘class 57’ (R3697) are, I believe, Mk2D. Where as R4898 was always down as Mk2E. Fingers crossed Bachmann wont take five years in making suitable West Coast 57s for the NB! 

Had a message from my local stockist (thanks @Widnes Model Centre) who've had confirmation from Hornby that this is the case. Mk2D for the Train Pack and Mk2E for the Coach Pack.

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2019 at 04:52, Hilux5972 said:

They have a DRS one available now. 32-764. 

DRS no longer provide the Northern Belle traction, West Coast Railway do. It was bought out, with references in the link I provided above.

You now need either In NB colours:

57601 “Windsor Castle”

or any West Coast Railway 57/3.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Had a message from my local stockist (thanks @Widnes Model Centre) who've had confirmation from Hornby that this is the case. Mk2D for the Train Pack and Mk2E for the Coach Pack.

Thanks for confirming and posting. I am pleased that I have bought the coach pack with the newer tooling. They may look a bit different running with the older tooling but it will still make a nice rake of coaches. 

• RMweb Premium

The Train Pack has the BSO 'Mow Cop' and Warwick, both of which are Mk2D on the prototype. The other coach in the pack, Chatsworth should be a Mk2E like the real thing.

The Coach Pack with Alnwick, Belvoir and Harlech are now correct as these are all Mk2E in real life. The previous releases of Belvoir and Harlech as Mk2D were incorrect.

Got the Coach Pack reserved. Can anyone who has one confirm if it's true FO interior with 2 + 1 seating?. That was the other glaring anomaly with the previous Northern Belle coaches, that it had 2+2 fittings.

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, I'm so glad I found this topic. I bought the Bachmann Solway Princess last weekend and have been scouring Ebay for a few days to get hold of the rolling stock.  Looking at this, I think I have been hoodwinked. I seem to have got the older versions (Warwick and Belvoir) in new Hornby boxes!! The one that arrived containing Warwick was marked up as Harlech. I contacted the seller before he sent them and he said it was his mistake and it was Warwick that I would be getting, not Harlech. Fine by me I thought. When it came I expected the box would be changed for the Warwick one but it wasnt.

What I really could do with knowing is, is it worth arguing the toss or is there no real difference in the new and older coaches? I need to get a third, was looking at Chatsworth but might have to settle for Glamis if it is a better match.

Minor details I know, not like me really, I just don't want to waste money.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Think there's a few people dumping the old ones for the new. All my stuff is packed away but I'll no doubt be doing the same at some point. My observation was that the new 2019 release had an excellent colour match to the earlier releases.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Spireblade said:

Ahhh, I'm so glad I found this topic. I bought the Bachmann Solway Princess last weekend and have been scouring Ebay for a few days to get hold of the rolling stock.  Looking at this, I think I have been hoodwinked. I seem to have got the older versions (Warwick and Belvoir) in new Hornby boxes!! The one that arrived containing Warwick was marked up as Harlech. I contacted the seller before he sent them and he said it was his mistake and it was Warwick that I would be getting, not Harlech. Fine by me I thought. When it came I expected the box would be changed for the Warwick one but it wasnt.

What I really could do with knowing is, is it worth arguing the toss or is there no real difference in the new and older coaches? I need to get a third, was looking at Chatsworth but might have to settle for Glamis if it is a better match.

Minor details I know, not like me really, I just don't want to waste money.

Cheers

Glad you have got a Northern Belle 57/3. I am a modern image modeller and I do have a large DRS fleet just because I like all of their liveries and they are really nice to model. Sorry to hear that you appear to have been sent the incorrect coaches. I have four of the original MK2s in Northern Belle livery and the Hornby MK3 "Crewe" coach. This was from the first/initial release a few years ago. I actually bought them through RMWeb because I must have missed the release as new by Hornby and retailers. I have Warwick, Glamis, Glamis & another MK2 named Car ????? I can't see the number at the moment because it's right at the back of my layout. Not sure why I got x2 Glamis coaches but I have kept them both. I also have bought the new x3 coach pack of Northern Belle coaches. I am yet to open them and compare them to the initial release of coaches but I have read that the 2019 releases have more accurate Northern Belle colours compared to the initial releases and the 2019 coaches are updated/new tooling. I have also read that the original releases were the old Airfix tooling so they are slighter longer apparently compared to the latest releases which are apparently slightly shorter and thus more to scale. Really it depends on how much you paid for the coaches. I recall paying just over £100 for those five Northern Belle coaches a few years ago so I got them really cheap for what they are and the seller could have easily charged more for them, because they were sold out with retailers and at Hornby at the time. With regards to differences their are no massive differences in the coaches which would make the initial batch significantly lesser in value when compared to the new 2019 releases. The only differences I am aware of are the small ones mentioned above, but when they are on the track you probably won't notice any difference between a few mm in the length of the coaches or a slight difference in Northern Belle colours. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 23:05, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Glad you have got a Northern Belle 57/3. I am a modern image modeller and I do have a large DRS fleet just because I like all of their liveries and they are really nice to model. Sorry to hear that you appear to have been sent the incorrect coaches. I have four of the original MK2s in Northern Belle livery and the Hornby MK3 "Crewe" coach. This was from the first/initial release a few years ago. I actually bought them through RMWeb because I must have missed the release as new by Hornby and retailers. I have Warwick, Glamis, Glamis & another MK2 named Car ????? I can't see the number at the moment because it's right at the back of my layout. Not sure why I got x2 Glamis coaches but I have kept them both. I also have bought the new x3 coach pack of Northern Belle coaches. I am yet to open them and compare them to the initial release of coaches but I have read that the 2019 releases have more accurate Northern Belle colours compared to the initial releases and the 2019 coaches are updated/new tooling. I have also read that the original releases were the old Airfix tooling so they are slighter longer apparently compared to the latest releases which are apparently slightly shorter and thus more to scale. Really it depends on how much you paid for the coaches. I recall paying just over £100 for those five Northern Belle coaches a few years ago so I got them really cheap for what they are and the seller could have easily charged more for them, because they were sold out with retailers and at Hornby at the time. With regards to differences their are no massive differences in the coaches which would make the initial batch significantly lesser in value when compared to the new 2019 releases. The only differences I am aware of are the small ones mentioned above, but when they are on the track you probably won't notice any difference between a few mm in the length of the coaches or a slight difference in Northern Belle colours. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for that. I paid £50 for Warwick and Belvoir. Both are like new and I'm happy enough with them but might not have got the bargain I thought I had. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Spireblade said:

Thanks for that. I paid £50 for Warwick and Belvoir. Both are like new and I'm happy enough with them but might not have got the bargain I thought I had. 

You're more than welcome. 

For £50 I think you did alright. Maybe not so much a bargain but considering that if Bachmann had produced them at £60/£70 per coach with DCC, lights etc which is how I think about it you did do quite well with the Hornby Northern Belle coaches.