Rosses Point - 7mm scale,36.75mm gauge

Irish Padre

Thanks gents. Glad that Ben Bulben is recognisable. My attempt on Knocknarea is at the other end of the layout. Yes, it’s an Alphagraphix kit. Constant test and adjust required as these kits are mostly built by sensible people who use 32mm gauge. Building to 5’3” requires a bit more of a weather eye to be kept on clearances.

• Informative/Useful 1

That’s a treat for the eyes - lovely! Proper GSWR paintwork too. The brakes on mine are causing me a few problems - a lovely free-running chassis is now binding a bit. Ah well onwards and upwards!

i do like your workmanship. I am tempted to scratchbuild a different GSWR tank down the line when my current crop of kits and parts is exhausted.....so may be looking for tips. If I can produce one of these to half your standard I’d be happy...

C29EACBB-0CD5-445E-BD33-B1CCF9964D44.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2020 at 17:29, Northroader said:

I’ve scratchbuilt one, but the detail  such as brakework is skimped, I’m afraid.

0281E43E-E96D-4521-A8F8-ABC3B47982EA.jpeg.83c06f3d49339735076aa9799f7f1e81.jpeg

That is an absolutely superb job indeed! Excellent stuff!

Also......Not often things are modelled in pre-1905 era liveries!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I can never understand why not, the paint schemes back then were really attractive. Most of the same engines were round fifty years later on, but when you look at the state they were in by then.... My case rests, your honour.

• Like 4

Yes - amazing how different they look-colour brings the lines of the loco to life. The WLWR maroon must have been lovely when fresh. Thankfully the GNRI, NCC and BCDR kept a flash of colour alive! I can sympathise with why Drew Donaldson painted all his locos CIE green without regard to prototypical fidelity ! 

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, kirley said:

I bet you are pleased with that, I know I would be.

Thanks Kirley - most kind. It’s a bit rough around the edges in places but has taught me a great deal, such as sorting the curved cab and footplate. I had to walk away from it in October as I seemed to be making constant mistakes. So glad it’s actually done and running!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

And Enniskillen finally has rivetted tanks. There are a lot of rivets, to put it mildly. I do wish the SLNC had managed to find the cash to get them countersunk. Two separately spaced  lines at the top, with various other spacings around bottom, edges and middle. And if you haven’t cut the NS straight those long lines of rivets will gaily march just where you don’t want. I’m glad it’s finally done !

653F12D1-95B2-4DA0-9835-16078C10E851.jpeg

E30021E6-1A7A-438F-BA6C-DCBE2FCB6C8B.jpeg

EF157ABA-A485-4E53-8CAC-3BAB51A83381.jpeg

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...

Take an old boxwood ruler, thin to 3mm with Dremel sanding. Add a 10thou NS backing plate, accessorise with 0.5 and 1mm rivets, some Slaters bearings inverted as safety chain eyes, add a few other bits, distress with piercing saw and files to taste, and we have a wooden buffer beam as Enniskillen carried at the end of her days. It’s not perfect but passes the 2’rule (not that the boxwood folding ruler can now quite make 2 foot).

2E843944-7211-409F-8BA3-4CDAD06493A0.jpeg

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6