System 4 track !

Just ended up with a small quantity of system 4 track in a job lot. I have never seen it before in the flesh. It has obviously been badly stored as the whole thing is a uniform dark rust brown and the brown sleepers are caked in a Matt film. It looks really realistic! If only they had persevered with the 00 Gauge sleeper sizes and spacing on system 6 onwards and used code 100 it goes a long way to disguising the narrow Gauge and H0 track we have now....

• RMweb Gold

Excellent! I think it was called "super 4", that's what I had in my first train set 50 years ago.

Later replaced by "system 6" which we thought was the dogs whatsits when if arrived! 

• Agree 7

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2019 at 21:42, ikcdab said:

Excellent! I think it was called "super 4", that's what I had in my first train set 50 years ago.

Later replaced by "system 6" which we thought was the dogs whatsits when if arrived! 

So, was there not a '5' then ?

I started off with Series 3 (black sleepers) - still have some in a box here! Prior to that it had been 'Standard' which IIRC had a light-grey raised base with a moulded effect of ballast and sleepers. So if that was '2' then what was the original '1' like ???

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, RailWest said:

I started off with Series 3 (black sleepers) - still have some in a box here! Prior to that it had been 'Standard' which IIRC had a light-grey raised base with a moulded effect of ballast and sleepers. So if that was '2' then what was the original '1' like ???

I've often wondered about the 5 , did the Hornby dublo 2 rail count as it?

12 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

System 6 was originally known as Series 5 but the name was change before it was launched.

Presumably because it sounded better ?

Compared to Series 3, Super 4 track was a major step forward (I had both in My First Train Set !)

The points weren't so brilliant, though, were they? And those massive rail 'fixings' rather stand out too in the OP picture. I don't want to call them 'chairs' as that would be an insult to more modern track.

I suspect the reason for abandoning 4mm dimensions for the sleepers & spacing was that going for the obscure & little-used scale of HO opened up the market for their track to the rest of the world. :rolleyes: :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

The main bit of geometry changed is the Y point—the Super 4 Y point had curved arms of radius 2, not the larger radius used since. I think everything else is the same—apart of course from additions such as the "Express" points etc.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus

Super 4 is great for floor layouts,  vastly more durable than system 6 / set track but if the fishplates and rail ends corrode then its hopeless. I always think the Ffestiniog Railway track looks like Super 4, maybe an 8 or 8.5mm to the foot Ffestiniog layout using Triang Chasis and Super 4 would be a possibility?

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2019 at 06:03, RailWest said:

The unnumbered series 1 (called universal), was very similar to series 2 (called Standard). The difference being is that the ends could only be joined one way, in other words it was a tongue and socket arrangement.

The earlier types are shown here.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/indexTrack.htm

Edited by kevinlms
More info

On 02/12/2019 at 15:39, D9020 Nimbus said:

The main bit of geometry changed is the Y point—the Super 4 Y point had curved arms of radius 2, not the larger radius used since. I think everything else is the same—apart of course from additions such as the "Express" points etc.

True, but it was more a case of not including a Y point at all for a good many years. Yes, further extensions to the geometry have been made, but the kernal of it is still there.

The Super 4 Y point allowed me to make a handy junction on the kitchen floor:

Junction.jpg.43870af0cfcaf205c85e4007e1dc9ac1.jpg

Note I should have used an isolation straight as noted in the diagram to avoid a potential short (unless you're using clockwork or battery power).

• Like 4