Primer for resin

Hi all

I've just been making a resin model underground train & the resin casting for the body was that milkybar resin. 

I pre cleaned the body with cif to remove any release agents & once clean & dry I primed it with a plastic primer from Halfords. Once I had applied the first coat of enamel & masked for the second  colour & applied it I removed the masking tape & it took off big chunks of paint left, right & centre.

After a soak in some dettol to remove the badly chipped paint I re applied & I've had the same effect again. I've been third time lucky & just had a tiny bit come away which I can touch in with a brush.

Is there any primers that are specifically produced for resin or something that'll stick to it like that brown stuff & blankets as I've a few more to make.

Hi

I note you use Halfords plastic primer and wondered if you have tried Halfords normal grey or white primer. Still an acrylic paint but a different ‘recipe’.

I have used it on plastic,resin and styrene without problem. I use enamels for overcoating.

john

• RMweb Premium

Ordinary Halfords primer (and their etch primer) works well for me but I suspect you didn't get it clean enough first. I don't use any release agent for resin mouldings but some others do and it needs removing very thoroughly. Cif does some of the job but I would scrub it with an old toothbrush as well.

• Agree 1

I've never used a release agent for my resin casting either, but the castings do leach out a little of the silicone from the silicone rubber moulds onto the surface of the castings, particularly if it is a new mould, so I always recommend a scrub with a toothbrush an Cif or similar in my instructions.       I also use Halfords car primer and that too is mentioned in my instructions. 

It's very useful in the case of a lot of my kits as it needs no top coat, other than final varnish, to represent the grey or red of Festiniog Railway goods and quarrymen's  coaches, it's also pretty close to the red and grey of some of my Scottish pre-grouping standard gauge wagon kits too.  I favour Halfords rattle cans for top coats too, with a little care a "close enough" colour can usually be found among their many cans, Dullcote usually takes care of the high gloss finish of these cans.  

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I`ve done a lot of work with resin........

Everything cleaned with this.....

DSC02707.JPG.2626cb6ad37c8e47edda7ef249440242.JPG

so........

resin plus brass......   brass takes priority  so used self etch primer...

dsc01205_24068575504_o.jpg.2062ddd4518a30d13cf948b4604e72b9.jpg

DSC02799.JPG.9db678afe07c89c7af0bd463396d9d45.JPG

All resin models plus plastic

DSC04536.JPG.8032776b810371410627c3eb129a2378.JPG

I use Halfords products

DSC01693.JPG.c5d40e0c767b10aaaa753829dc3ceffb.JPG

DSC04538.JPG.1de9b9e2daac12091f1bb49117059d9d.JPG

More modern resins with bits attached

DSC04303.JPG.f52227414b04c8436e55f2e316f54bd6.JPG

Again...an etched primer of your choice.......

DSC04385.JPG.490013856430a29bffd91a7b5179ec3f.JPG

But always use a really decent primer and you can`t go wrong.....

Cheers

dsc01205_24068575504_o.jpg

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

FWIW I've used Precision Phoenix two part etch primer on resin, even though its designed for non-ferrous metal, and it seems to work well, though I don't know why.

The cleanliness issue mentioned by Michael Edge is absolutly essential whatever you use, and I usually scrub Cif with a brush, do wear gloves and don't touch the surface with your fingers until painting is complete. Even after a soapy handwash our fingers can still exude grease, which totally wrecks paint adhesion.

John.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had the same problem, all it needed was a good scrub using a toothbrush with CIF cleaner.  And I do mean a really good scrub - the first time I didn’t scrub it enough to get it really clean.  Then rinse and leave to dry.

• 1 month later...

Hope you don’t mind this question coming into this thread. I have a resin boiler which is painted in thick gloss enamel paint. I want to remove this and repaint, either with enamel or acrylic. Is there any special removal agent needed for this? Thanks, Dai

• 3 weeks later...