Bulleids on the SDJR in the 50s

Guest Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

If you have the time - and a connection that isn't too slow! - Andy Kirkham's linked flickr photos page (above) appears to be full of good things. There are several pics of piloted Bulleids photographed from nearside, with the Whitaker apparatus extended. And I've only looked at page one so far! 

I agree I had a flick through earlier today – a great resource for  modelling.

Slightly digressing, I’m currently quite interested in the sets of former LSWR carriages that were principally used for the local services prior to the Maunsell sets. While there are a few photos in some books I have, these images by RE Toop are the most numerous in one place I’ve come across – it’s a shame there’s not many captions against them.

Regards,

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 02:12, jools1959 said:

Just a curious request, does anyone know which loco’s ran over the S&D on 12/06/1959, the day I arrived into this world lol.

Hi, I have had a look through my lists of stock for 12 Jun 59, but I have nothing recorded for that date, sorry!

Iain

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Iain.d said:

Hi, I have had a look through my lists of stock for 12 Jun 59, but I have nothing recorded for that date, sorry!

Iain

Thanks Iain, it was a long shot.

On 09/10/2019 at 13:26, Iain.d said:

Slightly digressing, I’m currently quite interested in the sets of former LSWR carriages that were principally used for the local services prior to the Maunsell sets. While there are a few photos in some books I have, these images by RE Toop are the most numerous in one place I’ve come across – it’s a shame there’s not many captions against them.

Also late to the digression but carriage fans should have a look through as well. Those early images from the first few years of 1950s are fascinating. On cursory glance spotted ex-LNWR and Ex GE coaches and they were both behind the loco - in the latter case an S&D 7F. It really was the anything goes line. 

Re captions. Add them as comments on Flickr?

On 07/10/2019 at 21:27, Andy Kirkham said:

I have drawn attention to these S&D photos before, but perhaps not everybody here has seen them. There are several of Bulleids from earlier in the 1950s than most that we see. https://www.flickr.com/photos/midsomer-norton-south-station/albums/72157629882634822/page1

Including this one still in Malachite

7264123726_887f360957_z.jpgimg045 by Regency Bristol, on Flickr

That must be 34042 "Dorchester"  which I believe was the only one to run in malachite livery on the S&D  (it has no ownership indicated on the tender). It was repainted BR dark green in November 1951.

Ian

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 23:33, mendipsengineman said:

Yes i digitised the ones i bought before ron died over 10 years ago. Maybe one day i’ll get round to digging the 6x4’s out to see if he wrote any dates on the back.

Thanks for doing this Nick, it's a wonderful album of photograph's and one that I often refer to. I did wondered how you managed to get so many good quality scan's from Ron's images but by no means a full collection.

Does anyone know what's happened to Ron's images since his death? I'd be most interested to identify the dates on the images of Ron's you've got Nick, there's certainly a large number of early to mid 50's images which are invaluable to my modelling period!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kempenfelt said:

Thanks for doing this Nick, it's a wonderful album of photograph's and one that I often refer to. I did wondered how you managed to get so many good quality scan's from Ron's images but by no means a full collection.

Does anyone know what's happened to Ron's images since his death? I'd be most interested to identify the dates on the images of Ron's you've got Nick, there's certainly a large number of early to mid 50's images which are invaluable to my modelling period!

Its possible they have been sold off in lots. You then see over time things appear on Ebay but having lost the details which really is so sad. Lets hope though they all went to a museum somewhere.

• Like 1