Tonbridge MRC 39th exhibition Saturday 15th February 2020

ColinW

Tonbridge MRC will be holding their 39th exhibition at the Angel Leisure Centre, Angel Lane, Tonbridge TN9 1SF, on Saturday 15th February 2020. 

Admission prices are: Adults £6.00, Children (between 10-16) £1.00, Children under 10 FREE.

Following criticism of the over crowding situation this year, especially around the Jubilee room, the club has taken the decision to put demonstrators/Loco doctors and possibly a society in the Jubilee room, and there will be a larger area just off of the main hall that will house layouts in there.

I will update with a list of layouts and traders in the near future.

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now been given a list of layouts booked to attend the show, there are 34 of them.  I will list them with gauge and when set (if I have them!)

Alt Furka                                      HO      Swiss

Bottom Works Sidings              OO       BR and British Steel c1973  

Canute Road Quay                    OO       Southern 1940's

Cheffley                                       OO       Southern 1930's

Coldharbour Lane                      O          GWR shed

Durston                                        OO        GWR 1930's

Edington Junction                       O          Somerset & Dorset 1920's

Forrestone                                   N          South London main line station

Four Oaks                                    OO       BR Southern region

Gasworks Basin                          OO       Gasworks in 1950's

Hayning Island                             EM       BR Southern region 1960's

Hoch Feldberg                             Z

Kuchon                                         3mm   German Black Forest branch line

Lianbruck                                     OO9     Austrian

Lydgate                                         OO       Lancs & Yorks railway set in 1960's

Lyndale                                         OO9     small layout built to fit inside under bed box

Lynwood                                       OO9     small layout built to fit inside under bed box

Manston Airport                          OO      BR Southern region 1950's

Morfa Mawr                                             West Wales 

Rixworth Green                            P4      Southern 1920's

Rotherbridge Goods                   OO     Lancs & Yorks railway set in 1950's

Scatchy Bottom Halt                   Gn15

Sheepcroft                                    EM     South West 1960's/70's

Shellsea Harbour                         OO    Southern 1920's

Sillean MR                                     N

St. Elizabeth Street                      N

St. Luke's                                      OO     BR Western region

St. Mary's                                     O        Welshpool & Llanfair light railway 1930

Tansey Bank                                OO9   Preserved ex industrial line 1960's

Welford Bridge                            N        BR Western region 1960

I will add a list of traders once we have final confirmation.

Colin

Edited by ColinW
removal of layout from list
  • Like 1

I can now add a list of traders, societies & demonstrators attending the show

Traders

ACE Products

C&L Finescale

Carriage & Wagon Models

Coastal DCC

Dart Castings

David Wills

Dingo Servo Mounts

DoW Scenics

Golden Arrow Productions

Hardy's Hobbies

Harrison-Brown Models

Heritage in motion

Kent Garden Railway

KS Laser Designs

Layouts4u

Matthew Cousins (Artist, with Drive Thomas)

Mike Turner (Artist)

Plus Daughters

Rail-Books

Railroad Trading

Ray Morris

Roxey Mouldings

South Eastern Finecast

Squires models & tools

Supercast

Societies

Gravesend Rail Enthusiasts Society

Network South East

RCTS

Spa Valley Railway

Tonbridge Model Engineering Society

Demonstrators

Michael Tucker - Scratch built buildings

Roger Sawyer - Basic soldering techniques

Steve Sharp - Steve's model building service, Locomotives & rolling stock built in Plasticard

Also, Butley Quay was added to the list of layouts by mistake, and will be attending our exhibition in 2021.  The list above has been amended.  Will up date when I have more information

Colin

Edited by ColinW
Trader withdrawn

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update.  Unfortunately Rectory Grove to West Park is no longer attending, but we have several confirmations to add to the exhibits.

Layouts:

Coffee table layout            N gauge

Trams to the park             O gauge

Traders:

Severn Models

Societies:

Colonel Stephens railway museum

More information will be given when I have it.

Colin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some travel information.

Travelling by road:  Please note that there will be no specific road signs for the exhibition itself.  People are advised to follow road signs to the railway station, which is a 5 minute walk away.  As they get closer, the road signs will start to show Sainsbury's or the Angel Centre.  There are several Pay & Display car parks close by, both short and long term, the long term ones are mainly the smaller ones just away from Sainsbury's.

Travelling by rail:  Tonbridge station is served by trains coming from Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Ashford International, Folkestone, Dover, Canterbury, Ramsgate, Redhill, and from London Charing Cross, Waterloo East & London Bridge.  At the moment there are planned engineering works between Hither Green and Chislehurst, which means that Tonbridge services may be diverted or slightly delayed.  Also the Tonbridge - Redhill line is partly closed, between Edenbridge and Redhill because of a landslide.  It is hoped that this should be repaired and opened by the time of the exhibition.

On arrival at Tonbridge station, People should leave by the main entrance, turning left and walk down to the roundabout.  As soon as you leave the station you should be able to see Sainsbury's.  As you get to the roundabout, you need to cross over the road, (please note there are pedestrian crossings just to the right of the station entrance) and then follow the road round to the right.  You will see Sainsbury's petrol garage.  Walk towards this, again crossing over the road.  As you get to the mini roundabout by the petrol station, turn left and walk towards the car park.  The Angel Centre is at the far end of this car park.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

With 4 weeks to go to the exhibition, we have unfortunately had Polcombe Depot (layout) and Roneo Models (trader) withdraw from the show.  We have been able to bring in 2 more layouts and another trader.

Layouts:

Docklands            O                 BR East London 1957-1964

Lynsford               OO              BR Southern region South Coast

Trader:

Doug's model trains & tools.

More information will be given when I have it.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

AS I mentioned in the travel details, there has been a landslip on the Tonbridge to Redhill line.  Network Rail have now stated that this should be completed by the end of March.  Because of this, there will be a replacement bus service between Redhill and Edenbridge.

Colin

We have received information that the Highways Agency are planning to do some repairs to the A21 from Morleys roundabout to Vauxhall Lane exit, between 14th-24th February.  It is possible that they are planning on closing the road completely ( we are trying to clarify the situation) and as such the road traffic is likely to be diverted through Tonbridge, so for anyone planning to drive to the show please be aware of this.  Once we have clarified what is happening I will up date this thread.

Colin

We have now had confirmation from the Highways Agency, that the A21 will be closed in both directions, from the Sevenoaks Weald (Morleys) Roundabout and the Vauxhall lane exit.  I have added a PDF from the Highways Agency showing the diversions they will be putting in place, whilst avoiding Tonbridge High Street, the road traffic around Tonbridge will be increased.  If you wish to drive into Tonbridge and want to avoid using the A21, you can either take the M20, exit at Junction 2, and take the A227 to Tonbridge, or M26, exiting at Junction 2a and follow the B2016 and A26 to Tonbridge.  Alternatively, you could park in a neighbouring area and take a train into Tonbridge, as there will be regular services from the areas I mentioned in the 7th posting on here.  There will be direct services to Tonbridge from London Victoria as well as London Charing Cross on the Saturday because of the engineering works already mentioned.

Unfortunately Simply Southern have had to withdraw from the show due to Ill health.  We hope they recover quickly.

Colin

GFD20_0010 A21 Improvement Scheme A4 leaflet Engage Van_Revised 2020.pdf

In recent years, we have been fortunate in that there have been long queues of people waiting to get into the show, as we opened.  We do try and get people into the show as fast as we can, but if you are attending you can help as well.  If you do not wish to spend a long time queueing (and I believe the weather for Saturday is not great), then can I suggest delaying turning up until late morning/lunchtime, as the queue should have gone by then.  If you do want to get into the show at 10.00am (-ish) then can I please ask that you have the correct admission money with you.  PLEASE NOTE WE CANNOT ACCEPT CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS FOR PAYMENT ON ADMISSION, OR ON THE CLUB'S SECOND HAND STAND.  There are several ATM's available close to the Angel Centre, should you need to get some money out.

Colin

• Like 1

Unfortunately Roxey Mouldings have had to withdraw due to family member's poor health. The club would like to wish them a quick recovery. 

It is club night tonight, and we shall be getting some of the equipment we use out of its store, ready to be moved to the Angel Centre tomorrow. 

Colin 

Will be starting a busy day shortly, collecting barriers and moving our equipment, before starting to set up the show this evening. For the layout owners and trader's travelling to us today, have a safe journey and we look forward to seeing you later on. 

Colin 

An excellent show, as always!
A good selection of layouts, though I’m biased, I like the smaller ones generally. They give me ideas....

I got there about 30 minutes after opening, the queue was still along the path outside, but it moved quickly.

Didn't seem quite so busy this year though?

61CF2092-67BE-48E4-9DB1-522ACC72FE2A.jpeg

6ACF4F13-16E4-4F10-A7AC-2E487B649CF7.jpeg

22592D83-1311-4930-9788-7AE6FCFFB428.jpeg

CDFFBB7D-064F-4CD4-A58D-35176DF9FFD1.jpeg

86C8D213-FCC5-4AFE-AA34-8F36D07379DD.jpeg

948B41A4-AB84-4A75-B736-12542323570E.jpeg

4B9E2835-CE1E-4353-A50F-0C5BE865ABBB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Another enjoyable day exhibiting Canute Road Quay, this time at the excellent Tonbridge MRC show.
A Hearty thanks to all whom braved the weather to attend the show, say hello and make so many positive comments about the layout.
Was great to catch up and natter with old friends and new alike. 
Thanks also to Simon for his company and assistance.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

As the show has now finished and the equipment put away, the club would like to thank the layout owners & operators, traders, Demonstrators, neighbouring club members, and our members wives for helping to make a successful show. The weather and the A21 closure did not help us. Next year will be the club's 40th, and the date will be Saturday 20th February, 2021.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1