Tempo cars arrive

dibber25

Just taken delivery of four of Rapido's latest passenger cars, the Tempo cars. Mine are in the livery of Agawa Canyon Tour Train, the tourist train which runs from Sault Set. Marie 114 miles into the Ontario wilderness. These cars went from CN's Tempo service to the Rio Grande Ski Train in the USA, and back to Canada for the Agawa Canyon train, winding up back with CN once they took over the Algoma Central. Lovely models and faultless running straight from the box - no gauging issues, no uncoupling, no derailments.

P1240012.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ndg910 said:

I’m admiring that trestle bridge. Damn you’ve got me thinking about making a Cornish timber viaduct again. 3D printing the trestle legs seems the way to go... sorry wrong thread.

Great looking coaches as well. 

Oh, dear, off topic but you've got me started talking about the Kinsol.  The trestle (closely based on the Kinsol Trestle on Vancouver Island) is entirely built out of balsa wood. I built it like the real thing, so there are no continuous verticals. All the bents are based on the diagrams of the real thing. Before it was restored, the contractors surveyed and drew every one of the 46 bents and their report was posted on line, so I was able to print off the diagrams, which I still have. Some, like the ones illustrated here, have over 100 individual pieces of timber. Others, at the landward ends of the structure are tiny, with fewer than a dozen parts. Bent No. 1 is little more than a sleeper. I'd love to have a go at a Cornish timber viaduct. You need a decent drawing. I had lots of photos of the derelict trestle, too, but for a Brunel viaduct you could do well to photograph the one at Pendon. Nothing quite prepares you for the sight of the Kinsol (named for the nearby KINg SOLomon mine) 650ft long and 150ft high. My picture shows it when derelict - and was the inspiration for building the model. Today it's part of the Trans-Canada Trail, and you can walk across it. Balsa wood is not very strong but the model supports my heaviest trains because it gets its strength from the way it is built, just as the real thing did. (CJL)

P1240020.JPG

KT 10.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris:

I haven't checked this, but I think the Tempo cars were built by Hawker-Siddley (now BBD) based on the parts for Toronto subway cars, similar to the original GO cars. The sides and windows look very similar.

I only remember riding on them once.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ndg910 said:

I’m admiring that trestle bridge. Damn you’ve got me thinking about making a Cornish timber viaduct again. 3D printing the trestle legs seems the way to go... sorry wrong thread.

Great looking coaches as well. 

Hi,

Maurice at Osborn's Models does them in his Arch Laser Cut range for N:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/archn0030-arch-laser-brunel-timber-viaduct-modular-kit-300mm-deck-length-46833-p.asp

I have room, and serious intentions, for three or maybe even four...

Being laser cut he might be persuaded towards other scales...

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 04:36, peach james said:

Thread drift alert!

14735067208_6a374b9190_c.jpgDSC_0033 by Peach James, on Flickr

Post reconstruction photos- I have a few more kicking around offline of the Kinsol trestle.

Immmmm! BC mist, I see! I love the drive out to the Kinsol - I usually do it from the Island Highway past Cowichan and over the Howe Truss over the Cowichan River, then turn left down that winding road till it turns into a dirt road through the woods. Being a Brit in a rental car I feel like I'm really pioneering and being adventurous - two miles or so over the roughest road I've ever driven, and in someone else's car! I think the Cowichan River bridge and the Kinsol have the only two Howe trusses left on the island. Or is there a third up near where the mill is/was at Chemainus? 

With regard to the Tempo cars, yes, they look pretty similar to the old GO Transit cars - slab sides and inside bearing trucks. When I was last in Toronto, the John Street roundhouse was displaying a restored driving trailer from one of those early GO sets. (CJL)