LNER Starter Signals

Hello all,

I am planning a small O gauge test layout, around 14' x 18". Primarily it's use will be as a test track for loco's as I build them, however I would like to add some scenery for playtime, with the LNER being the original company.

I was planning an Inner city type terminus with a central platform with a Y point to split the incoming line. One platform may also have a spur coming off the end of it in order to stable a small loco.

My question is that if I build a T shaped bracket on which to mount the platform starters, should this also have calling on arms for shunt release or would this have been done by ground signals?

I have looked in the few books that I have but cannot find any prototype examples, so thought that I would ask the combined brain that is RMweb for guidance.

Thanks for any help, and here is a quick sample of the work so far.

post-7502-127322469913.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

excellent work on the signal.

I have just started to look at signalling for my OO LNER layout. I have a roundy-rundy layout with a branchline to Ponteland terminus (Northumberland) to build in the future, which my also double as an exhibition layout. From what I can see so far, it looks like ground signals are they way to go, but I can't be 100% sure on that. Hopefully someone else may be able to help futher. I would also try the LNER Forum if you haven't already. I will get back to you when I discover more.

regards

Mark in OZ

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies and thoughts, I have taken a screen capture from JMRI Panel Pro as that is all I have but it gives a good idea as to the general layout.

post-7502-127324706573_thumb.jpg

The distance between the station point 4 and the scenic break is a lot longer than drawn!

The scenic break will be a road overbridge. The loop is intended as a run around only, however the option for trains to depart down the line from there could be added.

The only thing that I would like to have on the layout if possible is for the starters for the platforms to be mounted on a balanced bracket in the y of point 3.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

"Balanced" without shunts, the left hand doll would have a further smaller doll to its left for a shunt to the spur or possibly a shunt signal at the base would do it, meaning it would be a true balanced bracket.

You need traps on the loop and the spur.

Hi Beast,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Having not got a huge amount of room, traps may have to be dummy. I left them off of the plan as I think they will be a pain to get in and as the layout is really just a test and scenic photo board I may just try to represent a couple of blades.

I like the idea of a balanced dolly for the starters, as for the shunt signals, would the one into the spur be a yellow disc with black line, giving permission to enter the spur when the signal is on?

Also where would the LNER have positioned the ground signal for Platform 2?

I have always loved signalling especially the infrastructure, however trying to signal a track plan can be a minefield, the way I started looking at this plan, I was going end up with a GC style branch with at least

2 signals for every possible move.

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

it would be red, yellow is only used when its the only signal controlling (or not!) the route.

Note sure how the GC typically signalled things, probably a disc by the platform and possibly another near points 1 - both reading over the crossover.

• RMweb Gold

The GC was a great user of small or miniature semaphore arms for shunt and siding movements so the most likely arrangement would have been either a 3 doll bracket (albeit quite a wide spread!) or two separate signals with the one offering the route to the siding have a miniature or small arm bracketed off the main post (but equally it could have been a balanced bracket albeit with the dolls carrying arms at two different heights).

Archived