New N gauge FSA / FTA container flats!

JR_P

• RMweb Premium

Received a flyer this week from C-rail announcing a new FSA / FTA Freightliner container flat!

Those of in N gauge are getting seriously spoiled these days :locomotive: 

Apparently to be offered as twins (outer-outer), triples (outer-inner-outer) and fours (o-i-i-o).

Photo of flyer....

5B5AADAF-E55A-48CA-ADC0-8E884926148E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice that the flyer also mentions the con-flats will come with 20ft and 40ft containers.... so a question for Arran I suppose, but I presume the 20ft is brand new tooling?

Also, will the 40ft containers be the existing 40ft HIGH CUBE, or a new ‘standard’ 40ft container?

Hi All

Ive not thought about container options yet, another one is under development between C Rail and RevolutioN and like the 30ft Bulks they will just appear and on sale, that seems to work.

We know more std dry box’s are required at a high quality, but one thing at a time.

The FSA FTA wagons should be in the same price range as the pocket wagons, the only slight compromise will be a weld line where the inserts will be to do the different ends . 

Its not worth tooling up two up two separate decks you just wouldn’t get enough to justify the inners getting done I don’t think.

liveries will be Freightliner green and RFD In black the latter being dependent on orders for the first batch.

Regards Arran  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arran said:

Ive not thought about container options yet

If you offer flats without containers then I'm in.

If it's flats and containers then I'll need to see what you're offering and have a think (I've already got more containers than flats to put them on).

• Agree 1

I'm really excited by the announcement of these, as the Bristol liner was often largely made up of FSA/ FTAs. As others have said, can bin off the inferior Dapol stuff.

Similar price and quality to the pocket wagons ...yes please!

Jo

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

What's the current status of this project, please? Is there a period for pre-orders? Has it been and gone? Is the whole thing on hold until The Plague subsides?

Jim

HI Jim

All the info is with the factory and the cads are started so once i start to see cads im happy to show i will.

The price i will firm up once im happy with how it looks and what it will be made of meaning what parts are castings for weight, then i  will open the order books.

Its not been held up by the black death or any other pandemic so far, being stuck inside may have helped TBH .

Regards Arran

48 minutes ago, arran said:

HI Jim

All the info is with the factory and the cads are started so once i start to see cads im happy to show i will.

The price i will firm up once im happy with how it looks and what it will be made of meaning what parts are castings for weight, then i  will open the order books.

Its not been held up by the black death or any other pandemic so far, being stuck inside may have helped TBH .

Regards Arran

Arran

Thanks for that. My modelling interests have recently shifted a bit, in a way that makes container flats rather more important than they were before (I sent you a message via your website yesterday, because I'll be in for some pocket wagons, if they're still available). FSAs might not have been at the forefront of my thinking before, but I'd be up for a few now.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI

The wagons are at the cad stage and coming along , once i can see cads that im happy with i will post pics pics. 

by that stage the end price will be clearer and i will open for pre orders at a reduced price like i did with the pocket wagons 

Regards Arran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Looks excellent. Will there be a metal spine to these? My Revolution flats have a noticeable bend at the ends where the plastic is warping.

Also, standard height 40’ containers - Dapol’s are like hens teeth, any chance of any C-Rail ones?

David 

HI All

If you look at the cads the Red bits are metal and runs nearly the total length of the wagon and under the head-stocks, so that should eliminate that possible issue, 

On the container front  have some patience and all your intermodal dreams will come true,

Regards Arran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arran, these are looking very nice - I’m especially pleased to hear there is a full length metal spar for rigidity and to keep the deck flat and true.... too many container flat wagons (from all manufacturers) suffer from either deck twist, or bowing at the ends - the Dapol spines are particularly notorious for the latter!

Also looking forward to more containers - as mentioned above, regular 40ft containers are incredibly hard to come by at a reasonable price these days and it is purely a supply and demand scenario. I’d really like to see some of the more ‘drab’ liveries, ie, brown - Tex, Beacon, CAI, Chronos, etc. Another run of the 40ft HC would also be good - these also go at high prices on certain auction websites!

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got loads of 40’ Dapol boxes. Am I sat on a goldmine?!

How long will the pre-order price last? Definitely want a few, but stealing myself (or my wallet!) for the 92s and the IPAs that are about to land! 

HI All

Just to show the underside as it looks right now, this may change slightly but the basics are correct , so there will be no bending issues .

The pre-order price will be on till i start production when ever that will be, but the current price is at a minimum 15% cheaper than the selling price , depends on where the pounds sitting TBH.

Containers will happen as and when =C=Rail= and Revolution hatch plans, and new liveries on existing ones .

But if you are wanting more STD containers expect them to be priced as the current ones are, as a 20ft has a tooling and production cost not to different form a 40ft.

Hope this helps 

Regards Arran

underside.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1