DCC N Gauge Engine Oil

Chrisjh

Good Evening I am relatively new to N Gauge so my apologies for asking a simple question and asking it possibly in the wrong

I have just oiled my Revolution N Gauge Pendolino unfortunately I think I put too much oil on the cogs and it now slips, any ideas how to resolve this problem would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Chris

Chris,

Surprising that you have had no responses so far.  I am no expert and am not familiar with the model in question but . . .

1.  when you say "sliips", how precisely?  Do yoou mean the wheels spin on the track or that the cogs slip against each other?

2.  did you use a suitable oil?  If not, it may have damaged (ie softened) the plastic gears or affected the glue that fixes them or the drive to the spindles

2.  if you have had the model standing on its wheels since you discovered the problem, much of the excess oil will have drained away by now - has that improved matters?

If damage has been done, then new parts will be necessary but it might be worth trying a spray of electrical contact cleaner.  I must stress that I have not tried it on plastic so a trial on a waste piece would be wise.  Be careful to spray it only on the affected parts and follow the instructions.  Other contributors may know whether or not it is safe to try.

Harold.

Many thanks Harold very interesting thank you

I think you are right it might have softened the gears or affected the glue that holds them in place and that might be the reason why the train slips.

Best,

Chris

CHris,

If you have had the body off, can you not see whether the geaars still mesh properly?  Also, if they do mesh, then you will surely be able to see if they are slipping on their spindles.  Perhaps they have slipped out of position so that they are no longer aligned.

Harold.

Interesting.  I just googled it and was surprised to see it also marketed as Hob-e-lube (although packaged differently) - somehting I have been using for years without problem.  I see however that mine is Hob-e-lube Lite Oil.

Harold.

Getting back to the start, what made you decide to oil the locomotive?  I ask because I am suprised that Hob E Lube would cause the sort of damage you describe and I wonder if there was some mis-alignment of gears beforehand..  Some years ago I over-oiled an 00 gauge Bachmann class 37 but all that happened was that the oil ran everywhere, gathering fluff and dust.  The loco still runs well after 10 years - and i haven't oiled it again.

Harold.

• Agree 1