Colloquial names

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Not being a local resident of Dartmoor, does restrict my knowledge of colloquial terms. Is there a local term for a quarry man? The public house on the layout needs a name and the 'Quarryman's Arms' whilst accurate is somewhat generic and lacks empathy.

Cheers

JB

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Found on a local history forum - Hewers' Arms/Inn - a term of Germanic origin, a tad more interesting than Quarrymans' or Miners' Inn.

The Brittania Coconut Dancers of Bacup were supposedly of Cornish/Barbary mining origin and known as 'hewers' 

Odd facts can be found when Googling.

Cheers

JB

There has been quarrying and mining for many different rocks and ores on and around Dartmoor.

Sticking with the tin mining idea perhaps the pub sign could show the 'tinners rabbits' or 'three hares'

a sign which appears in various places on and around the moor.

cheers

Guest Jack Benson
28 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

There has been quarrying and mining for many different rocks and ores on and around Dartmoor.

Sticking with the tin mining idea perhaps the pub sign could show the 'tinners rabbits' or 'three hares'

a sign which appears in various places on and around the moor.

cheers

As the idea of the Inn was inspired by a visit to the Warren Inn at Postbridge, I suppose an reference to bunnies is somewhat appropriate but it will be the Hewer's.

956948254_WarrenInn.jpg.c90bb3fa44e5bb106ba8100c63ae73d5.jpg

JB

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

As the idea of the Inn was inspired by a visit to the Warren Inn at Postbridge, I suppose an reference to bunnies is somewhat appropriate but it will be the Hewer's.

956948254_WarrenInn.jpg.c90bb3fa44e5bb106ba8100c63ae73d5.jpg

JB

That sounds fine as a name - but pub bars do indeed witness a great deal of rabbiting!

Guest Jack Benson
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

That sounds fine as a name - but pub bars do indeed witness a great deal of rabbiting!

Any mention of rabbits, bunnies etc. on Fragglerock is severely discouraged, allegedly due to the danger to the workforce caused by their burrowing. And as an ex-Fragglerock inhabitant, I prefer not to invoke the local demons even when modelling.

JB

Edited by Jack Benson