Deepwood Motte - O gauge on a budget

I’ve been scratchbuilding some O-gauge rolling stock and decided to put together an ultra low budget micro layout for it. Inspired by folks like Jim Reid and it’s the first O-gauge layout I’ve ever started. Wish me luck...!

A bit of background first; my rolling stock has a ‘Game of Thrones’ theme, using names and places from that world. Mostly because I like little jokes (ie Godswoods are sacred forests, so I have a Godswood Timber Co. wagon!)

When the iron horse invaded Westeros, it was an invader welcomed, mostly, with open arms. The first private line extended eastward from Lannisport, eventually reaching the capital, King’s Landing. This was laid by the Great Westeros Railway company, and paved the way for other companies to extend their own lines thereafter. To the north of King’s Landing lay broad vistas of bleak, cold highlands and moorland, inhabited by strange folk with stranger accents. 

The one of the most influential companies, the Landing, North Westeros Railway, laid metals from the capital all the way up to the furthest reach of the kingdom, the Wall itself. All northern traffic is bottlenecked through Moat Caitlin, a junction from which main lines fan out to White Harbour in the east, Winterfell Road and to the Bear Island ferry in the west. On this line runs a tiny and insignificant branch which terminates at a station signposted ‘Deepwood Motte’.

The station is a mile or so away from the Motte itself, but serves the Glover family and the villages nearby. There are occasional passenger services from Winterfell and the Bear Island ferry. Goods outgoing are mainly wool and textiles for the south, cattle and beer for the northern towns, troops for the war; goods inbound include wines from the Reach, salted fish from White Harbour, skins and furs from House of Bolton, farm machinery and the all important mail. There is a fledgling tourism industry for the affluent; whilst you are visiting the north please take a trip to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea; during the summer much of the beach is free of ice!

However, all is not as it seems on the Westeros railways as competition between transport companies is rife, with rolling stock intentionally misdirected, rerouted or stolen, and similar from the feuding shareholders and passengers. This means that the contents of any wagon may not be what the paperwork says it is... (I’m looking at you Frey & Sons Wedding Hire Ltd!)

Pictures of work in progress imminent...

Edited by Thunderforge
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1

I’ve been pretty settled on using the ‘two points’ track plan from Market Maldon, but I knew that fifty quid for a set was too much to spend, and coupled to that I didn’t feel confident enough to scratch my own, I’ve decided to go for a double track traverser running into three ‘scenic’ tracks (platform line, goods line and parcels line). There’s a loco release on the far side of the traverser.

Hopefully this will allow me to play ‘inglenooks’ when I want and have more realistic moments.

And I never realised how hot flexi track gets when you’re sawing it! Ouch!

Edited by Thunderforge
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Testing a track painting technique I saw on an American YouTube channel; paint the sleepers a bright cream (£1 tester pot of masonry paint!) and the rails red (Mournfang Brown acrylic), then wash with a mix of alcohol and black weathering powder. Or in this case the easel sweepings of a chalk pastel artist!!

Before...

5D5E3753-CC3C-4992-950D-A5325B687AAB.jpeg

• Like 4

Not sure what to do about electrical contact between the traverser and normal rails. The traverser sits on the flat so no space beneath for wiring. 

I thought maybe use a sprung ball bearing to rest up against a brass cup? 

Suggestions welcome as this method seems over engineered and I’d need to make four pairs of them!

B6B136D2-78C3-4CE2-9CB6-3C9E0930202D.jpeg

• Like 1

Re the power transfer issue. What I did was solder short lengths of brass tube (with an outside dia. less than the height of the rail) to the outside web of each rail end on both the traverser tracks & the fixed ('normal') tracks, then use a length of brass rod that slides inside the tubes to connect them. Transfers power, and holds the traverser in place. :good:

• Like 3

I like what you've done so far with this. I too, am experimenting with re-purposed packing materials, different methods from the usual - and I use cat litter for ballast.

I very much like the fantasy element too. Look forward to seeing more.

Regards, Bill

• Like 1

This evening I’ve glued a short length of track to a CD, then  added some lolly sticks to make a wagon turntable. Unfortunately I’d not enough sticks to finish it, so it’s on pause for now.

It was a Ronnie James Dio CD if you must know, but it was already scratched beforehand. Should have used Queen though; Flat bottomed rails you make the rockin’ world go round...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Not much progress to report, I’m a bit stuck until I get some bits of brass tube in the post. 

But here’s a pic of Lord Mormont (work in progress scratch built loco) doing a dry run of the passenger line.

I’ve decided to shelve the turntable as I was having too much difficulty getting the rails to line up!

E5529A7E-6B76-40C4-9908-DAFD925B75FC.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pierluk, waiting on a bit of brass tubing to make the contacts/locking pins for the traverser, then I can plough on with it.

I’d ordered it on a slow boat from China because there aren’t any brass stockists near me.

On the plus side I’ve had a chance to get that loco looking more finished, I’ll post pics shortly!

Edited by Thunderforge
  • Like 1