ZIMO decoders

Paul Challenor

Zimo 645R dcc sound decoder.

Does any one have a list of cv's you could send me  for this decoder with Pannier sound fitted In  Minerva O gauge loco, I have looked at the Zimo web site and its just information overload, I normally use loksound decoders , but this loco came sound fitted.

I have tried Paul Chetter ,as advised by Minerva but email site is no longer available, all emails bouncing back.

Thanks 

Edited by Paul Challenor

4 hours ago, Paul Challenor said:

Zimo 645R dcc sound decoder.

Does any one have a list of cv's you could send me  for this decoder with Pannier sound fitted In  Minerva O gauge loco, I have looked at the Zimo web site and its just information overload, I normally use loksound decoders , but this loco came sound fitted.

I have tried Paul Chetter ,as advised by Minerva but email site is no longer available, all emails bouncing back.

Thanks 

Paul,

The soundsloco email address is no longer valid.

What are you trying to achieve?

Reset using CV8 = 8 will reset all CVs back to default. You can then read them from the decoder, many people find Decoder Pro helpful in doing this.

If there is something specific you need to know, ask here and I'll help.

Best regards,

Paul (Chetter)

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

Hello, 

I had a Similar query with one of their Pecketts. I emailed EDM models and they replied promptly.

I’m assuming your model was sound fitted by the same company.

Go to their website.

Dougal

Dougal,

EDM sound-fitted the Pecketts but the Pannier and all subsequent models have sound installed in house by Minerva.

I create the custom sound projects for the ZIMO decoders deployed by MInerva.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Paul.

I am use to the loksound decoders and I use there programing device to do all the settings, with the Zimo I have no idea I would like to adjust the main volume and also to adjust speed curve as I am only shunting on a end to end 8ft layout I would like to get max chuffs at a low speed.

I did get an instruction sheet but did not get this data also listed on the sheet was Paul Chetters email address.

I would also like to know if zimo or someone does the same unit as esu  loksound programer device.

Thanks Again to all

Paul,

You should find on the Zimo MX645R that there is a live volume function on F27 Volume down and F28 Volume up.

As for the extra chuffs F26 according to the chart supplied above, is Shunt Mode which may give you what you require.

If that isn't what you want to achieve, than Pauliebanger is your man.

Jinty ;)

• Agree 1

Paul,

There are several different pieces of kit which will do for ZIMO decoders what the loksound programmer device does for Loksound decoders.

By ZIMO:

MXDECUP out of production for a long time, and through track only. May find one second-hand.
MX31ZL also out of production for several years. Only available second hand.

MXULFA current unit, available from ZIMO dealers, eg Digitrains. Full functionality including use as a 2A DCC controller. Can be used stand alone or connected via USB to a PC.

MX10 Control Station. Very expensive. Has a programming port which is not yet fully operational

By Roco

Z21 DCC control system, has a built in ZIMO decoder programming port.

Main volume.

This can be set with CV266. The value range is 1- 255 but best not to exceed say 120 (ish) as distortion becomes an issue a higher values, precisely where depends on the speaker used.

However, F 28 can be used, without accessing CVs, to increase volume to a safe upper limit. (F27 will reduce overall volume levels).

Speed curve.

Speed curve CVs are the same on any decoder which supports speed curve adjustment. CVs 2, 5 and 6 for three point curves, CVs 67 to 94 for individually mapped speed steps. Complex speed curves possible but not necessarily desirable.

You can programme these with your DCC controller.

Shunt mode will slow the model to half speed and reduce inertia (also known as acceleration) and momentum (also known as deceleration).

Steam locos have a fixed (mechanical) link between the wheel revolutions and the chuff rate, so the greatest rate will be at the maximum speed; not very useful with only 8 ft to accelerate to full speed and brake before hitting the buffers.

(incidentally, the Minerva Pannier has a working manual brake on F2 which might help).

Did you mean chuff rate or chuff volume?

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
To explain ZIMO's version of 'Shunt Mode' feature.
  • Informative/Useful 1